Besides English, which language do you most want to learn?

paul   Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm GMT
I want to learn another foreign language, but I stop at the cross where four languages're standing: Janapese, German, French, Spanish. If you are me, which one do you choose buddy?
Adam   Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:55 pm GMT
Well, being English, I've no need to learn a foreign language - except when I did French at school - but if I did learn another language it'll be one that hardly anyone speaks, such as Finnish or Hungarian.
ELLY   Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:11 pm GMT
ADAM DONT BE SNOBBISH PL
I think the most used language after the english language is the french > but I d rather learn the spanish one
friendly2000   Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
"Well, being English, I've no need to learn a foreign language"

Adam,

What a stupid statement!!!!
So English is everything on Earth and you expect people from around the world to speak English ?...
M56   Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:37 pm GMT
Euskara
M56   Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:40 pm GMT
Elly

< think the most used language after the english language is the french > but I d rather learn the spanish one >

Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
English (480 million)
Spanish (320 million)
Russian (285 million)
French (265 million)
Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
Arabic (221 million)
Portuguese (188 million)
Bengali (185 million)
Japanese (133 million)
German (109 million)

Those figures include secondary speakers.
Benjamin   Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
Don't bother with Adam, we usually ignore him. It is not clear whether he actually thinks what he says, or whether he's a troll.
TATI   Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
"Portuguese (188 million)
Those figures include secondary speakers."

Not correct.
Brazil alone has 180 million people. A lot of people missing in your data.
Paul   Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Actually, I'm going to learn French and Japanese simultaneously. All I want is to know the French and Jap culture, they are both very exotic to me. And maybe I got the luck to merry a French blonde.
Mirte   Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:55 pm GMT
I am an 19 year old Dutch girl and a future English teacher. I've loved the language from since I was a little kid. But if I could choose another language to learn it would definately be Spanish! It sounds beautiful and it is spoken in more than one country. Unfortunately I just can't find the time to learn it. Maybe when I am done with my other study. Take a course or something...
Uriel   Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
Spanish.
M56   Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:31 am GMT
<Not correct.
Brazil alone has 180 million people. A lot of people missing in your data. >

How many are missing exactly?
Guest   Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:28 am GMT
I would learn Mandarin or the Korean language if I had already been a good speaker of English..
paul   Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:38 am GMT
<<I would learn Mandarin or the Korean language if I had already been a good speaker of English.. >>

I don't think there's any connection with Mandanrin and English. They're totally different!!! I suppose that you should learn them simultaneously if you have enough time and energy.
TATI   Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:43 am GMT
"<Not correct.
Brazil alone has 180 million people. A lot of people missing in your data. >

How many are missing exactly? "

As first language speakers you have about:

187 million in Brazil
17 million in Africa
10 million in Portugal
2 million more in Europe (emigrants)
2 million in North América (emigrants)
0.61 million in Asia

There are no records for Portuguese as a second language but
Portuguese is an optional learning language in eleven European countries and the learning of Portuguese is growing in Asia and Africa. Several Spanish speaking South American countries teach Portuguese as a second language.