The English word for "Germany"

Guest   Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
LAA,

1) I am not Greg. He never writes in English on this forum. I just happen to agree with him in certain matters concerning the politics of the forum.
2) He has made very rich linguistics contributions with samples on a very profesional basis, you don't have to start 10 threads every day to be considered a good participant... don't be childish.
3) You have shown to be able to pose good questions. The problem is that you just can't help to fall in you narcisistic style of showing off after the first few words.... you don't need to copy a book for us everytime, especially if the majority of contributors have much more experience than you.

This will summarise the whole situation, so please let's put this useless discussion aside and keep writing about languages.
Guest   Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
Re: "I don't care about your privileges..." - Guest

Honestly, Guest, this is a bad attitude. I hope you don't talk to any of your managers at work that way.

Well, I didn't mean to sound rude. Sorry if you took me wrong, but you just sounded a bit arrogant and therefore I wrote that.
Nevertheless I emphasized the annoying fact that the only thing you did was greeting him instead of remainding him to stick to languages. That was all.

LAA has not done anything terrible... now you are overreacting. I am just addressing the moderator (you) to keep control of the topics. That would include everyone who get off topic, of course.

Brennus, please let's stop this tiring discussion. Try to help us with that and the rest is fine.
LAA   Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:42 pm GMT
As Brennus said, someone who posts as "Guest" will not be taken seriously. In fact, it is cowardly to hide behind a false identity. And no, Greg has not contributed a new thread to this forum in a very long time. In fact, as long as I have been on this forum, Greg hasn't posted one single thread of his own. If I talk about myself in relation to the languages, ie., personal experiences, then that is fine. It does not make me narcisistic. Or when in response to allegations made by prejudice people on here (such as, "Mexican-Americans are stupid and thieves"), I list my personal example as evidence to the contrary, then I am being no different than others on this board. There are others on this board who rarely start threads of their own also. But on the same token, they contribute positively to our discussions, behave courteously, and show respect for others, unlike people like Greg, who do virtually nothing but criticize, chastize, and insult others. Most of his posts are personal attacks on Brennus, and sarcastically question his skills as a moderator. The rest are just rants of sarcasm or things like: "ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!" I challenge you to reveal yourself Guest.
greg   Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:37 am GMT
LAA : les masques sont tombés. Non seulement tu ne sais pas de quoi tu parles (je n'écris *JAMAIS* en anglais sur ce site, j'ai créé plus sujets sur ce site que toi, etc), mais en plus tu te vautres dans la médiocrité. Je t'en remercie : tu m'épargnes la peine de démontrer ta vacuité.

Le simple fait que tu choisisses (avec quelle maladresse !) l'attaque personnelle plutôt que les arguments construits et convaincants te ressemble si bien !

Je l'affirme haut et fort : tu es un ***CUISTRE***. Et tes grands airs de diva effarouchée n'y changeront rien !

Ce n'est pas parce que tu consommes 80 % de la bande passante d'Antimoon qu'il faut t'imaginer le dépositaire d'une once de légitimité : tu n'en as ***AUCUNE***, tu as ***TOUT*** à apprendre, tu ne connais ***RIEN*** ni aux langues ni à la linguistique.

Un conseil : choisis-toi un adversaire à la mesure de tes talents.

Un second conseil : si tu n'aime pas être piqué au vif, évite de déblatérer des inepties —> tu feras gagner du temps à tout le monde.
Ela   Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
I think that Germany is much better than the Slavic words for Germans which all mean MUTE, DUMB... It's hilarious, when you think about it...
LAA   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
<<Yes it is, considering almost the entire world calls you slaves. >>

That's so true. You have the slave-hungry Byzantines to thank for that, comrade! :)
Haeae, kuck a mohl Haeae   Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:56 pm GMT
I met some of my relatives in Germany last year and went back for another visit this year. The consider themselves to be descended from the Franks and they speak Rheinfrankish. I can speak German, but when they spoke their dialect - Rheinfrankish, I could not understand them. It was like another language - much stronger than the accents we have here in the USA.

My relatives live in Hessen, in the part that used to be Nassau. The closest town to them is Herborn. I was looking at old maps earlier, and according to this, Hessen is right in the middle of where the Franks were.
I can't find the link right now, but they had the Saxons in the north, the Franks in the west central(Hessen), the Thuringers in the east central, the Bavarians in the southeast and the Swabians in the southwest.

Here is some of my relative's dialect. First in Hochdeutsch, then in Rheinfraenkisch.

Du faehrst, ich bleibe hier. Dau firscht, ach bleive haeae.
Du faehrst, wir bleiben hier. Dau firscht, m'r believe haeae.
Hier, guck einmal hier. Haeae, kuck a mohl haeae.

Ich kann jetzt ein bisschen Platt sprechen. Ach koan jetzt a bisscha blatt schwaetze.

Eine Frau = a fraa
Eine hessliche Frau(an ugly woman) = a schroa daeae(vieh)

Schoen = schiee
Das ist schoen = Dos iss schiee

Bier = schop
Schmutzig(dirty) = Badschnass
Boese(angry) = bese

I noticed when they speak the dialect, the umlaut is not used. This went a long way to making it clear to me why many of the German-Texans did not use the umlaut - many of them came from Hessen.

Here is the title of a cookbook they gave me:
Su Asse und Schwatze mer froier em Westerwald(to eat and drink as earlier in Westerwald)
Haeae, kuck a mohl Haeae   Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
Correction to the previous email.

Su Asse und Schwatze mer froier em Westerwald = to eat and SPEAK as earlier in Westerwald. By the way, Westerwald is a forest in the area.
Guest   Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:26 am GMT
im saarland unn in de palz schwätzt ma so ähnlich! das kannscht de mir glaawe :-)
zzz   Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
>> im saarland unn in de palz schwätzt ma so ähnlich! das kannscht de mir glaawe :-) <<

What's that? Luxembourgish?
Guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
no, it's "Rheinfrankish", a dialect spoken in Rhineland-Palatinate, Hesse and Saarland. But Luxemburgish is very similar, it's a so-called "Moselfrankish" dialect.
Adam   Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:45 pm GMT
"I just don't like how people like Greg (who conviently post in English anonymously), can just whine all the time, "

Because he's French. That's all the French do. And I'm allowed to say that because I'm British, and everyone knows that the worst enemy of the British is the French and the worst enemy of the French is the British.
Calliope   Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
"Because he's French. That's all the French do. And I'm allowed to say that because I'm British, and everyone knows that the worst enemy of the British is the French and the worst enemy of the French is the British."

Sometimes I wonder if the most effective negative advertisement for your country is indeed Jade Goody, or you...
Guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:15 pm GMT
Adam, aren't we - the Germans - your worst enemy? Now I'm hurt
Martoza   Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 am GMT
Dear Sir,

Please let me know where is the city of the followig add:

Hansestraße 48
38112 Braunschweig
Deutschland

thanks