The English word for "Germany"

Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 9:39 am GMT
so, how german are the english really? there's something over 50 million people in england, but only a few million making up the whole 60 million in scotland, wales and northern ireland. so it seems like the english all came from elsewhere, isn't it?
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 10:40 am GMT
Hahahaha! It looks like Adam + greg = love affair

Maybe greg and Adam are the same person!
greg   Sat May 05, 2007 11:47 pm GMT
« Guest » : « Maybe greg and Adam are the same person! ».

Il y a peu de chances ! En effet, à l'inverse d'Adam, je ne déterre pas les messages du 7 septembre 2006 pour meubler ma journée du 22 janvier 2007...
Crimmer   Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:00 am GMT
Being that my Dad's people were Black Sea Germans (Russian Germans who are to be distinguished from the better known Volga Germans), they had originally come from the Kraichgau (northestern Baden-Wurttemburg), while others came from the Rhineland Palantinate and northern most Alsace - where the South Franconian and Rhine Franconian dialects are spoken respectively. Regardless if you want to say Franconian dialects are spoken there, or if you are insistent on being technical and say these are High German dialects influenced by Frankish, the simple fact is these areas were colonized by Franks in the sixth century, after the Allemani and Swabians were defeated. And so, while it is undeniable that I have ancestors who twisted their hair in Swabian knots, I also had forebears who shaved the backs of their heads, and flung their francisca axes at their enemies. I appologize for getting off subject, but the matter of Franconian dialects came up, and whether their language is actually Frankish. I personally think it's not just a matter of dialect, but also identification with Frankish ancestors who had settled the South Rhine area in late antiquity.
Guest   Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
Of course, Crimmer. West Central German dialects ARE Franconian dialects, descendants of Old Frankish. They were influenced by High German dialects and not the other way around! That would make no sense.
Crimmer   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:25 am GMT
I'm happy you agree. I recall reading how the Frankish language in South and central Germany only gradually took on the characteristics of High German over the centuries. My Dad had told me how our ancestors in the Kraichgau easily distinguished themselves from their Swabian neighbors because their dialect was significantly different - that and how they would tell Swabian jokes the same way Americans used to tell Polish jokes.
sadrnia   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:56 am GMT
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
Denken Sie!