Radical spelling reform or partial modification?

Guest   Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:37 pm GMT
I think the many invasions of England over the centuries have complicated the language - Rupert Murdoch in particular ...
eito(jpn)   Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:29 am GMT
English had been a complicated language before he was born. And still now it is.
eito(jpn)   Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 pm GMT
eito(jpn)   Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:59 pm GMT
Wensday, January 11, 2006: enofile / enology" (and derivatives) for oenophile / oenology

It's Wine Wensday again. This time, let's consider the little family of words that discuss wine. Oeno- is a pseudo-Greek prefix meaning "wine" (OINO- might be a more accurate English rendering of the Greek), and -phile is a pseudo-Greek suffix meaning "love" or "fondness". Oeno- is, everywhere, pronounced éeno-, not, as it might appear, "Oh no!"
The oeno- prefix occurs in a number of words like oenophile, oenophilia , oenophilic, oenophilist, oenology, oenologist, and oenological. Such terms are used in preference to terms like "wine lover" because the latter might suggest "alcoholic" rather than "enthusiast" or "connoisseur" of wine.

Since the OE is, in all those words, pronounced simply long-E, a simpler form has arisen without the O: enophile, enophilia , enophilic, enophilist, enology, enologist, and enological.

English is not regimented and hierarchical. There is no "English Academy" comparable to the "Academie Française" that polices the French language, as actively to forbid from on-high deviations from a uniform norm. So there is often more than one way of spelling a given word.

Oh, we all know that there is one major split in spelling. The United States (70% of all native speakers of what we charitably still call "English") spells several hundred common words differently, and more rationally, than do Britain and the various minor countries under its sway. But even within the American center of the "English"-speaking world, there are minor variations.

Oeno- vs. eno- comprises one such group of minor differences within the U.S. If "oeno-" were British and "eno-" American, I would have no hesitation in insisting that "oeno-" be banned and "eno-" employed everywhere. Spelling reformers have been much too indulgent of immovable British stupidity.

British spelling reformers haven't even dared to raise a ruckus — and thereby get huge media coverage in the British-influenced world ("Britannia"? — pair to "Romania" for the Roman world outside Rome) by simply announcing that American spellings are better than British and it's time for Britain to grow up and accept that leadership of the English-speaking world has passed from Europe to America.

So, the hell with them. They are marginal to the spelling-reform movement, tho, because of British self-centeredness and arrogance, they continue, always, to think themselves central to it. They are not. Britain is peripheral to the English-speaking mainstream. British spelling reformers cannot and will not lead us to a briter future of rationally spelled "English". They are instead holding the entire spelling-reform movement back. And, frankly, I'm tired of it.

In the case of the words to be considered today, old-fashioned, tradition-bound people in both Europe and America use the OE-forms; modernists, the simple-E-forms. Since even some Americans currently write "oeno-", we need to address that silly, pretentious, and unjustifiably irrational spelling in a way designed to appeal to reason and good sense.

OE is very ambiguous. It can represent long-O (toe); long-E (amoeba); two syllables, long-O followed by short-E (coed); short-E by itself (British foetid); even long-U (shoe).

It is not possible rationally to justify using the OE-variant in the wine words above, so they should be banished in favor of the far more sensible forms: "enofile", "enofilia", "enoffilic", "enoffilist", "enology", "enologist", and "enological".

http://www.geocities.com/sswordday/
eito(jpn)   Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
Thursday, January 12, 2006: "nonshalont" and "nonshalonce" for "nonchalant" and "nonchalance"

There is no CH-sound (as in church) in this word. Rather, the sound is that of SH, so let's write that.

Nor is the vowel sound of the last syllable short-A, as in bat. By far most people say short-O, as in font. The rest use a schwa there. O would work for both pronunciations. A does not: "nonshalont" and "nonshalonce".

http://www.geocities.com/sswordday/
Adam   Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
"So, the hell with them. They are marginal to the spelling-reform movement, tho, because of British self-centeredness and arrogance, they continue, always, to think themselves central to it."

It is spelt "though" not "tho." That's just sheer laziness. If Americans can't be bothered to write and speak properly, then why don't you all speak French or some other worthless language? Ruin French, not the tongue of England.
Adam   Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
This is what would happen if the lazy Yanks, with their absolute AWFUL and DREADFUL version of what passes for English, had their way -

This passage, which is the start of a speech Charles Dickens made to an audience in Edinburgh in 1841, - "IF I felt your warm and generous welcome less, I should be better able to thank you. If I could have listened as you have listened to the glowing language of your distinguished Chairman, and if I could have heard as you heard the "thoughts that breathe and words that burn," which he has uttered, it would have gone hard but I should have caught some portion of his enthusiasm, and kindled at his example,"

would become absolutely hideous and written as:

"Yo crazy dudes and bitches!, you're all sooo cool. Hey guys, if I could have listened as you have to the crazy shit of your of your big, muthfucka Bossman, and if I could have heard as you heard the "thoughts that go crazily through my brain, muthfucka, and words that do all sorts of shit, ," which my main man said, I should have been into this crazy shit, man."

A language that once had the world's largest vocabulary, would be reduced to a "language" with a vocabulary of 20 words, made to seem larger with the constant use of words such as "man", "dude", and "muthafucka!"
Adam   Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
"Just the opposit, Adam! Like it or not, English is a "great" language. That's why we need spelling reform attempts. "

Absolute rubbish. English managed to become a great language even though it hasn't had spelling reforms. The language of Shakespeare and Wordsworth will become unrecognizable, and will just look stupid.
eito(jpn)   Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:06 pm GMT
I would not say anything about English if it were used only in a certain Kingdom.  Why has it spred so violently?!
Guest   Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
<The language of Shakespeare and Wordsworth will become unrecognizable, and will just look stupid. >

I thought Americans have preserved words and spelling used in their everyday language which no longer exist or dying in British English?

Thus they would have an advantage reading Shakespeare texts.
Corrs   Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
<<By far most people say short-O, as in font.>>

Well, at least I don't pronounce it with a short-o in the last syllable. I pronounce ''nonchalant" and "nonchalance'' as /nOnS@lAnt/ and /nOnS@lAns/. The sound is more of an ''ah'' sound for me.
eito(jpn)   Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
>>The sound is more of an ''ah'' sound for me.<<

Actually, L. Craig Schoonmaker tends to use the letter "O" to represent "AH" sound. Acording to him, "saga" should be spelled like "sogga". Many peeple might disagree with it.

http://www.geocities.com/sswordday/archives-alpha.html
Guest   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
What is spelling reform for?
Kaleem Zafar Bhatti   Wed May 09, 2007 3:48 am GMT
2007 BUSINESS OFFER FROM J.ARTHUR(Pvt)Ltd.
SINCE 1930.The All World Milatry Products Manufacturer.

We would like to introduce you our company as a Manufacturer of

Musical Kilt,Sporrans & Scottish Bagpipe Clubs Instruments.

Our Products :

We have a various variety of (practice chantters)chantters,glengarries,sporrans,metal badges,

embroidered badges,mace,empauletts,bagpipe clubs instrumnets,metal buckles,kilts,musical drums,

side drums,bass drums,drummer belts,sashes,lanyards,kilt belts & all kinds of musical items.

Please Spare some time and Check our Web Site : www.jarthurmusic.com

Looking forward to establish good business contacts among us and awaiting early reply by return Email.

With best regards,

Chief Executive,

Kaleem Zafar Bhatti

J.ARTHUR (PVT) LTD.

P.O.BOX:301

SIALKOT 51310

PAKISTAN

Tel: +92 52 4 586408, 583102-3

FAX: +92 52 4 588605,583101

Email: jarthur@cyber.net.pk

Site: www.jarthurmusic.com
Sarcastic Wyominger   Wed May 09, 2007 4:25 am GMT
>>
Actually, L. Craig Schoonmaker tends to use the letter "O" to represent "AH" sound. Acording to him, "saga" should be spelled like "sogga". Many peeple might disagree with it. <<

Well, it depends on the dialect. In cot-caught-father-bother merged dialects (e.g. Western United States and all of Canada), the pronunciation of "ah" can sound like how an RP speaker says "father", "bother", "caught" or "cot". It is completely interchangeable in all of those words. Thus, it really doesn't matter if you write "saga" as "sogga", or "sahguh", or anything else, as the vowel can be any of those vowels listed above at any given time. However, seeing the word "saga", if I didn't know the etymology of the word, I might be tempted to pronounce the "a" in "saga" like the "a" in "sag", which is pronounced the same as the "ay" in "play". So it would sound like sayga (or sega, because we pronounce "sega" as "sayga" as well).