Spanish should be the second official language of USA

Guest   Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:51 pm GMT
=The French had a strong tendency to go native=

Hahahahaha, name 1 former french colony where french wasn't installed as thé language?
viri amaoro   Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 pm GMT
In French Guiana people speak portuguese too, and if History had taken a slight turn it would be a portuguese-speaking country, as the portuguese ruled that territory in 1809-1817 under a portuguese governor. But the British having given the territory to Portugal then took it back and gave it to France again. Pity...
a.p.a.m.   Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
Spanish should not be the second language of the United States. If you present Spanish as another official language in addition to English, it will only polarize the country. No Spanish in the USA. If you don't like it, go back to the third world rat hole you came from.
malparido   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:26 am GMT
there is no need to make spanish the second language it already is
there is no more point in this discussion spanish has conquered the whole wolrd just like english and also french. the only thing is the land taken away from the mexicans long ago but that has no importance to the spains the spanish world its the mexicans problem not the rest
cerp   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:30 am GMT
if los angeles, texas, miami,san francisco and othere states used to belong to the mexicans it still belongs to them, each time more and more mexicans are invading and gaining back territory by the help of other spanish like centro americans and south americans soon the whole country will be New Latin America
mercus   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:35 am GMT
i always thought of america as english and spanish territory
if you see cities like los angeles, there names are spanish, for example los angeles means the angels, san francisco is a spanish name from a person, and florida means flowerful something like that
sergio   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:43 am GMT
i dont know but every time an american hates a mexican the tend to hate colombians and other spanish people. i dont know why they seem to hate every other spanish race and dont tell me they also hate spaniards? spaniards for a long time have remain very neutral in europe not moving around like the times of conquering while the mexicans have been just problematic to the rest of the world i dont know why, but i dont think this is reason to consider mexicans colombians or spaniards
if you compare a spaniard and a mexicains the language will differ and the indian blood some mexican possess will also differ and the culture
mexicans have many indians characteristic while spaniards are brunette and blond and taller than the typical mexican.
maren   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:47 am GMT
thats true i lived in spain a while ago and i tried to order a burrito and they did not knew what it was and also the language sound not spanish to me and the other american freinds with me sounded different.
and barcelona catalan is spoken a different language just like quebec is to canada
heare   Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 am GMT
soccer is also great over there, but i think spanish should be the official language of the us and french because it would be nice to have romance languages as official
fab   Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:24 am GMT
" thats true i lived in spain a while ago and i tried to order a burrito and they did not knew what it was "

Si es seguro, porque los espanoles comerian productos de origen Amerindiana ? Parece tan estrano que espectar
El estereotipo de Mexico como punto de referimento de la hispanidad (y latinidad) en la mente de muchos Estado-unidenses es tan fuerte que muchos de ellos piensan que Espana es un pais muy que tiene tambien los estereotipos culturales y fisicos que tienen de los paises "hispano-americano", lo que es evidentemente no es el caso :

- Espana no tiene poblaciones de origen americanas ("indios") (solamente imigrantes de America del sur como peruanos o ecuadorenos)
- No es un pais en desarollo, no tiene favellas
- No es un pais de clima tropical. los inviernos son suaves en las costas pero muy frios al interior.
- Su comida no es compuesta con Pinto beans, etc.
fab   Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:28 am GMT
Parece tan estrano que espectar que la musica tradicional de Inglaterra sea la "country music".
Uriel   Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:28 am GMT
<<i always thought of america as english and spanish territory >>

Hey, don't forget French (most of the middle of the country), Russian (Alaska), and Dutch (New York). There was even a Swedish colony somewhere, though I can't remember exactly where.

I don't think the US needs to get involved in officializing ANY languages. It just becomes a polarizing exercise. The US is a big place, and people in it speak whatever languages are appropriate to their region and circumstances. They don't need a government telling them what to speak or not speak, or granting any of them "legal status", whatever that means.
Johnathan Mark   Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
"There was even a Swedish colony somewhere, though I can't remember exactly where."

In Delaware.

I believe in leaving official language designation to the individual states. Official language status makes more sense in New Mexico, with its 40--some percent hispanic population, than Maine, less than 1% hispanic. Also, states like Maine and Vermont can recognize French, South Dakota can make Lakota official, Alaska can do the some for Inuit language.

For New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and California, Spanish probably should be given official status (if English is to be), in recognition of the history of the region (as well as the reality of situation). However, in most of the rest of the country, I think making Spanish official would only discourage integration into the rest of society and encourage a sub-class of Spanish-only speakers. Immigrant groups throughout history have gradually left their languages and adopted English--although Germans and Scandanavians make up the vast majority of ancestry in the upper Midwest, none of their languages were made official.
Aldvs   Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
<<Si es seguro, porque los espanoles comerian productos de origen Amerindiana ?>>

Fab, because of TacoBell for example or Italian and USAn because of Pizza Hut and McDonalds, Burger King and all that kind of transnational companies.
JR   Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
<<Spanish should not be the second language of the United States. If you present Spanish as another official language in addition to English, it will only polarize the country. No Spanish in the USA. If you don't like it, go back to the third world rat hole you came from.>>> - apam

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

And I sincerely doubt that Malpardio, Cerp, Mercus, Sergio, Maren and Heare are more than one person. If you're going to make a racist and innacurate comments you might as well grow the testicular fortitude to do it in person.