British accent

Liz   Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
I can't even write my name correctly. Fine.
Uriel   Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:45 pm GMT
I've even seen -- never tried, mind you, but seen -- deep-fried Snickers bars at fairs here on this side of the puddle. And I think Snickers are what we call the candy bar you call a Mars bar. OUR Mars bar has almonds, not peanuts -- or I guess you like to call them groundnuts, as they are no relation to peas and do grow in the ground ... of course, then again, no matter what you call them they are not, taxonomically speaking, true nuts at all, and ... now I've confused myself, but the point I was making is that deep-fried candy bars are a NOVELTY, not a staple of anyone's diet!

And I feel perfectly entitled to take a bite of something nasty, gag, spit out the offending morsel, and then toss the rest into the trashcan/rubbish bin/dog's bowl. Why choke it down if it doesn't taste good?
Tess   Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:13 am GMT
Guest:

Thank you so much! That website really helped out a lot!
Travis   Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 am GMT
>>I've even seen -- never tried, mind you, but seen -- deep-fried Snickers bars at fairs here on this side of the puddle.<<

Same here. And I wonder how such would be appetizing, if you somehow managed to not melt all the chocolate in the first place in the process of frying.
Travis   Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 am GMT
Whoops, I misread Uriel's post - somehow my brain slipped a "never" in between "I've" and "even".

And I've really never seen an actual deep-fried Snickers or Mars bar myself, ever, pictures notwithstanding...
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:40 am GMT
>>Same here. And I wonder how such would be appetizing, if you somehow managed to not melt all the chocolate in the first place in the process of frying. <<

Probably the same way fried ice cream is made in Chinese restaurants. By freezing the Mars bar and maybe covering it in a batter, it's quickly dunked into scorching hot oil.
Rene   Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
Didn't mean to make you feel bad there Damian, but once you get past the gag reflex, its amazing what you can do. LOL. Besides every one in my family eats so darn fast, we have no idea what's hitting our stomachs anyways. I can't imagine a fried candy bar. If I ever ate one I would feel guilty for weeks. And as for Catherine Tate, sorry, not my type of humor.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:20 pm GMT
<And as for Catherine Tate, sorry, not my type of humor. >

Then you like American sense of humour which is bland in taste. Where people dont know the funny part (dont exist at all)and clap like rebots. if Cathereine Tate was not humourus in that video then what is the definition of a humour?
Rene   Tue May 01, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
"if Cathereine Tate was not humourus in that video then what is the definition of a humour?"

I guess I'll just be perfectly honest here. To make me really laugh something has to be either crude (i.e. dealing with some sort of bodily function), extremely dry (I'm talking humor that is just about as dry as the Sahara desert), or biting sarcasm.

"Then you like American sense of humour which is bland in taste. Where people dont know the funny part (dont exist at all)and clap like rebots"

I guess what you mean by the bland part is that its not absurdly obnoxious and is very dry, in which case yes, I like bland humor. However, if I think something is funny I will generally laugh rather than clap like a robot. Sorry, the laughing is a natural phenomenon that I can't seem to help whereas the clapping seems to be more of a learned behavior.
Rene's dry soul   Tue May 01, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Learn to enjoy good humor. Life is too short. Dont be picky even on choosing what form of humor do you like the most. Go with the flow. You remind me of an American (who claps like a robot) on letterman or windfield Opera shows. Come on, American women cant be that much boring! That title only belongs to American males! (no smile, 12 o clock signaling on their face, beaten by their wives and gfs).

:-)
Rene   Tue May 01, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
Alrighty guest I'll try. Seriously though, I have tried to like some British humor but, it just seems to obnoxious for me. Monty Python I couldn't stand, it was felt like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment for something I didn't know i had done. Faulty Towers left me with a headache. Blackadder had me smiling somewhat indulgently. I actually did laugh at Keeping up Appearances once. You've Been Served left me staring at the TV somewhat puzzled. I watched a movie called Withnail and I the other day which was supposed to be some sort of cult comedy classic. I was totally bored throughout, but in the next couple of days found it to be extremely fun to quote, "Don't go in without the gloves!", "We demand booze!", "That’s the only thing solid to have passed my lips in the last 60 hours”, etc. I do like the BBC costume dramas. Bleak House, David Coperfield, North and South, Pride and Prejudice, Wives and Daughters, etc. Everyone else seems to think their boring, but they suit me. Actually, speaking of comedy that I thought was boring, I started watching the new Robin Hood series, suffered through 6 episodes of horrid costumes, historical inaccuracies, and the worst jokes I’ve heard in the entirety of my life simply because I like the actor who played John Thornton in North and South and heard that he was in Robin Hood as Guy of Gisbourne. Anyway, enough of me and my boringness.
Collina   Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
I like the accent used in ''Oh Dr. Beeching'' comedy series...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh%2C_Doctor_Beeching%21
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/o/ohdoctorbeeching_1299002394.shtml

Could you identify the accent please?
thanks
Uriel   Wed May 02, 2007 3:06 am GMT
I bust up laughing every time I see Are You Being Served, and I loved Fawlty Towers. Monty Python is sometimes funny and sometimes a perplexingly grueling experience, just as Rene describes. Can't stand the period dramas. Could not get into Ab Fab. Never seen Blackadder. Father Ted was pretty funny at first, and then got a little silly.
Stevey   Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
I'm not really getting the English English thing. We simply just call it English in the UK as we are, well English. I can understand it when people say American English as Americans prodominantly use the English language.
Guest   Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:29 am GMT
<Snickers are what we call the candy bar you call a Mars bar>

Strange?! They are completely different bars here. I'm sure Mars has no nuts in them.

About the Snicker bars... we have the 'orginal' which consists of peanuts not almonds though it was recently released in our markets for a limited time. (Almonds isn't popular here... seen as animal feed)