A question for native English speakers!LEARN a 2nd LANGUAGE

polyglot   Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
A question for native English speakers!

I don’t understand what native English speakers are doing in this English learning forum, designed to “learn English effectively”? This is meant for learners not native speakers. Shouldn’t you be on a foreign language forum learning Spanish, German or French, etc?

I think that mainly Americans (native English speakers) are wasting their time here, conversing about English language issues, dialect , etc. when learning Spanish and being bilingual in the US (English-Spanish) should be their priority. Because from my experience learning and being fluent in Spanish in the US, (while being fluent in English) means an extra 10.000 $ a year at least, besides a huge number of other benefits.

My advice to you is to learn a second language, or try to learn a second language at least. Only very few of those native English speakers, on this forum are trying to learn a foreign language. The rest are just frisky about English, their only language ability.

The only positive example I know is Brennus, with a huge linguistic knowledge, mjd (improving his Portuguese ) Tiffany (learning Italian) Travis (learning German, or at least trying) while the rest of you, are locked only in the English forum wasting precious time.

Remember: If you have a linguistic interest and passion for languages (because that is why you are here). You MUST learn and look toward a foreign language first.

Otherwise is just like being in love with yourself and always speaking about yourself, the only person you know. A monolingual narcissist, like “Adam” (from this forum).

Good luck learning your first foreign language!
viri amaoro   Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
You might have a point... I've been trying to learn Esperanto for some time now. Do you know any esperantists?
j   Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
What's your problem, polyglot? Do you think you have a right to decide who should and who shouldn't come here? I don't think so. And for me just the presence of native speakers makes this forum so valuable. I wouldn't trust anybody with limited command of English. And I really enjoy them discussing a wide spectrum of the language problems. And if you don't like here - go find another forum.
You're entitled to your opinion, but remember: not everybody here thinks the same.
Lazar   Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm GMT
Congratulations, Polyglot; you've managed to be presumptuous, judgmental, and patronizing all at the same time. I am at this very moment devoting great effort to attaining fluency in a second language, and I didn't need you to tell me to do so. Learning new languages in no way precludes someone from being interested in their own language.
j   Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:45 pm GMT
toPolyglot:
And BTW nobody has to justify him(her)self for coming to this forum. And nobody is interested in your "advice" given in a such tone. Keep it to yourself.
Tiffany   Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 am GMT
Well, I am here primarily to try to help others with questions they may have about English, but if you'd rather a "blind leading the blind" scenario, by all means, I'll leave you to it.

Would you like this message repeated in Italian?

By the way, I don't see how anyone can learn a foreign language on the languages board. It is littered with questions like "Is Spanish closest to Latin" and "Is French least Latin?" and also statements about independence for various groups.

I have yet to see a majority of threads there being questions devoted to helping learners.
Johnathan Mark   Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 am GMT
I am learning Spanish (and will likely forever be--the more you know, the more you know you don't know), and my interest in linguistics wasn't sparked until studying abroad and hearing numerous Spanish accents with the hear of a non-native speaker. That is not to say that you can't be interested in your own language without speaking a second, but polyglot may be on to something.
polyglot   Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:59 am GMT
"Well, I am here primarily to try to help others with questions they may have about English"

Oh yes, so many philanthropists helping poor English learners, give me a brake ! But what about you, dear monolingual philanthropists? Who helps you to learn a foreign language ??? Or you are not interested ??? Forget about the “antimoon language forum” a Latino spam machine…

You should definitely be successful in learning a foreign language once you speak one so well, besides teaching others. Don’t you think so ? Why don’t you let someone help you, there are tons of parallel “antimoon” forums in learning Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc.

I don’t see too many topics on antimoon, opened by a native English speaker asking about a foreign language. That shows a huge disinterest in learning languages, confirmed by official statistics: only 3 % Americans (native English) speakers learned a foreign language at a fluent level.

What I see here is a huge disinterest toward foreign languages, And don’t be so “philanthropist” Ask for something back, ask”but how would you say that in your language ?” at least !

One hand washes another!
polyglot   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:13 am GMT
“I am learning Spanish (and will likely forever be--the more you know, the more you know you don't know), and my interest in linguistics wasn't sparked until studying abroad and hearing numerous Spanish accents with the hear of a non-native speaker.”

You’ll enjoy the benefits of learning Spanish very soon.

I am only trying to stimulate some people learn a foreign language, to enjoy the benefits of that, it’s really amazing. I remember being with some students from Brazil in the UK, I did help them to improve their English, but in return they taught me Portuguese.

There is nothing wrong to manifest interest, solely in your native language, but come on, not all of you!
Tiffany   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:22 am GMT
<<"Well, I am here primarily to try to help others with questions they may have about English"

Oh yes, so many philanthropists helping poor English learners, give me a brake ! But what about you, dear monolingual philanthropists? Who helps you to learn a foreign language ??? Or you are not interested ??? Forget about the “antimoon language forum” a Latino spam machine… >>

You cannot read. I am not monolingual. In fatto, parlo vare lingue. Certo, non parlo bene tutte le lingue, ma faccio la fatica.

You are entitled to your own opinion about this board, but if you don't find antimoon interesting, I invite you to leave to seek greener pastures.
pabz   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:23 am GMT
Wow polyglot -- maybe you could tell us the story of what made you so jaded and bitter?

I'm a native English speaker (American). I am learning Spanish now, teaching myself, just for my own interest and travel purposes. Is that OK? I check this forum because I am interested in the English language, and interested in languages in general, and interested in the learning process, and interested in the sharing of different thoughts and opinions. If I can help with something, I pitch in. Is that OK? When I want to learn some Spanish then I go to other web sites. Is that OK?

Thanks.
Tiffany   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:25 am GMT
Polyglot:

<<I am only trying to stimulate some people learn a foreign language, to enjoy the benefits of that, it’s really amazing>>

I hate to break it to you, but insulting people does not endear them to your campaign. In short - it's not working.

<<There is nothing wrong to manifest interest, solely in your native language, but come on, not all of you!>>

This is but one board, not the entire population of the English-speaking world. Many other boards cater to jsut the echange you speak. I personally love the language forums over at wordreference for any questions about a certain language I might have.
Tiffany   Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 am GMT
Typo:

<<Many other boards cater to jsut the echange you speak>>

Many other boards cater to just the exchange you speak of
Christy   Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 am GMT
I really have to thank those English native speakers here. They have put a lot of efforts and time here helping us. A lot of excellent answers were from the native speakers. If they are not here, who are to answer these questions.
Christy   Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:41 am GMT
And I also think native speakers can also learn something from the non-English speakers. Like how us learn English and they can use it in their language learning. We are learning from each other. Without them, it is NOT a forum!