The Shelf Life of Some of the Posters Here.

Geoff_One   Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:08 am GMT
Many of the people in this forum obviously have many interesting
things to say about languages and linguistics etc. Most, if not all
of the people have some interesting things to say about the same.
It seems to me that some posters are posting interesting messages
at a speed and volume that doesn't seem sustainable. One would expect
that there would come a time when they have sung all their best songs
(burnt out) and are consequently ready to move on and devote more time and energy to other or related interests. Could any one provide an estimate as to how long they are likely to be an active member of this or similar forums. I have also noticed that there are retired and semi-retired members who were once very active. Any updates from them on the interests they are now pursuing would be most interesting.
Geoff_One   Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:12 am GMT
Excuse me for the tautology - move on and devote more time and energy to other or related interests.
Uriel   Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
I can tell you that I've only been on here a couple months, and on Langcafe (where a lot of the other Antimoon regulars go to talk language occasionally, and gossip and bullshit the rest of the time) for a slightly shorter time. This forum's a little testier and more impersonal than the other, so my interest in this one comes and goes.
Uriel   Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am GMT
But I don't know what the shelf life's supposed to be -- if I start to smell bad or turn green, tell me.
Jim   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:09 am GMT
I smelt bad before I came here. If it seems I'm semi-retired, it's because I haven't got the time I used to have.
Damian in Dun Eidann   Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:10 am GMT
For me it's just a matter of popping in and out of here while working in as short a time as poss when I'm able to sneak a few moments as I'm on the laptop most of the time unless I'm out on the prowl.

I'm not date stamped so I've no idea of my BBE shelf life and I shower every morning. Scotland's lovely cool moist climate may go some way to extending shelf life though. Our beautiful lush countryside is fresh and green - I think I'm the former but deffo not the latter.
Uriel   Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:27 am GMT
All right, Damian, but if YOU start turning lush and green from all that moisture, we'll hook you up with a good antifungal -- or you can come here and dessicate in the hot desert air.
Desiccated Damian   Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:26 pm GMT
I think I fancy a wee bit of desiccation*, URIEL...sounds at least like it could be fun!!!

*am I on dangerous ground by correcting your spelling? :-)

What on earth is a hot desert? The nearest approach here would be the sand dunes on the beach at St Andrews on a lovely hot summer's day...like a scorching +25C?

Check reality.......current "desiccated" weather here in Edinburgh:

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGPH.html
Drizzly Damian   Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:30 pm GMT
Oh wow! is THIS what you mean by Hot Desert? Not ALL that hot, Uriel! Are you going all cool on us down there now?

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KLRU.html
Hythloday   Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:36 pm GMT
I've been here for a number of years and I'm still not past my 'sell by' date.
Uriel   Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:57 pm GMT
You correct my spelling anytime you want, Damian! I try, but I'm only human... ;)

Nah, it's beautemous right now, but ya shoulda been here in July .....!
Sander   Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
I've been here for ?How long hmm I think 9/10 months.

Found the site totally by coincidence (I was googling about how gutteral Dutch is)
american nic   Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:30 pm GMT
Your answer is...very.
Sander   Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:34 pm GMT
Hmm? /:-)
Uriel   Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:18 am GMT
So, Geoff, answer your own question: how long have you been here and what do you like to do when you're not making the world safe from tautologies? ;)