The Shelf Life of Some of the Posters Here.

Frances   Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 am GMT
I've been here since about March this year. It depends on the topics as to whether I reply or not. I would say I would check it at least once every 2 days. I notice though a lot of topics do get repeated now that I have been here for about half a year, but that is because a lot of new people come here and ask questions that I and others were asking or answering when I first started here....
Kirk   Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:47 am GMT
I don't remember when I first became aware of Antimoon but it was probably a couple years ago at least. However, I didn't regularly start posting till about January of this year (I think...).
Gjones2   Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:16 pm GMT
I hate to say this, but it's not just internet forums that become repetitious -- life itself does. Nearly everything we encounter is a little bit different, but the basic patterns and essentials come up time after time.

For years I've been writing posts on many internet sites and saving copies of what I wrote on my hard disk. Now when I see a topic come up, all I need to do to respond is find an appropriate post from the past and recycle it.

I'm working on a computer program that will automate the reading and searching too. Every day it will access the internet, go to the forums that I usually read and scan for topics. It will then automatically search the archived posts on my disk and post relevant responses to each topic. Once I've perfected the program, I myself won't need to read or write anything.

I plan to distribute copies of the program to others as well. Eventually I expect that all forum discussion will be conducted automatically by the computers themselves and without any human intervention. The computers will work 24-hours-a-day recycling posts. Being inanimate objects, they'll never get bored, and this process can go on indefinitely -- for thousands, maybe even millions of years. That's how long the "shelf life" will be.
Gjones2   Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:17 pm GMT
Note that my program catches terms like "shelf life" in the topic post, and shifts them to prominent places in my response -- e.g., my last sentence -- creating the illusion that I actually understood the original post and thought about an answer. :-)
Uriel   Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:37 am GMT
In fact, the real Gjones passed away in 1987 -- what we have here is just an automated facsimile.
Lazar   Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:48 am GMT
I started posting on Antimoon in March of this year. I think I may have been aware of the website for about a year before that.
Gjones2   Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:44 am GMT
>"In fact, the real Gjones passed away in 1987 -- what we have here is just an automated facsimile."

Could be. My program in effect bestows electronic immortality.
Damian   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 pm GMT
Great........eternity in cyberspace!
Uriel   Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:37 pm GMT
Otherwise known as the Fifth Circle of Hell.
Gjones2   Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 am GMT
It's the human beings without my program, of course, who do the suffering. Cyberspace has nothing to fear for those who possess it.
Gjones2   Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:38 am GMT
I'm kidding and exaggerating a good bit about the capabilities of programs with today's technology. I'm serious, though, in believing that it would be possible to use a kind of artificial intelligence to preserve the most characteristic views of an individual. Unlike a book the program would react in real-time to the thoughts of others, and -- at least part of the time -- write on-topic responses. Those responses would reflect the unique perspective of the real person who supplied the original thoughts.
Kirk   Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:53 am GMT
Uriel, I was always sure the fifth circle of hell was a windowless 15x15 car-repair shop waiting room outfitted with those squeaky dull brown vinyl chairs known only to such places and inhabited by 4 incredibly socially awkward people, 3 insufferably loud people, a smoker (it's in one of those states that still allows indoor smoking), an especially yippy chihuahua dog, Susan Powter and Richard Simmons, all endlessly listening to "Lean on Me," watching "Full House" reruns and being sustained only by fig newtons and Denny's days-old coffee.

But, maybe eternity in cyberspace might compare.

Wait. No, I think mine's worse.
Geoff_One   Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 pm GMT
Uriel, I have been posting here since about mid August 2005, but I had been reading the posts for some months before this. I came here originally because I was looking for information on how close Spanish is
to Italian and Portuguese. The reasons for this - Obviously there is no need to lecture yourself about the importance of Spanish and Portuguese. As for Italian, well for many years, number wise, it was the
the number two language in Australia - it may still be, I haven't looked at
the most recent figures.