Sick of ignorant Americans and even some Canadians!

Tiffany   Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
What does this discussion have to do with the English language?

As a Canadian AND an American, I am personally sick of hearing this "we are better than you" from both sides. I know stupid and/or ignorant people on both sides of the border. I know highly educated ones on both sides too. Stop the f-ing generalizing. It only makes you look stupid for thinking an entire population is composed of the person(s) you met, the person(s) you read about, or the person(s) you saw on TV.
Kirk   Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
I second Tiffany's post entirely. Tho I can't claim to be both Canadian and American. I'm an American of 2nd generation Canadian descent (and still have relatives all over Canada whom I've visted countless times, so I am aware of the country), however :)

But anyway, I agree totally. This thread is off-topic for what this site is about so it should not even be here. And what is on this thread has tended to be overgeneralized and lame anyway. Let's show some self-restraint and thinking, people.
John   Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
<<Well, Europeans, realize that your countries are the size of our states.>>

That's nothing- I've met Americans who were as big as some of our countries!
Pabz   Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:39 am GMT
Hey yeah I've noticed that Greg only posts in French, though he clearly understands English (or else he wouldn't be able to respond to the topic). This does tend to perpetuate the stereotype of the French as having a superior and intolerant attitude toward other languages and cultures, and toward English in particular. Which is fine, but... then, as you wondered, what's he doing on an English language discussion forum...?
mike   Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:37 am GMT
mjd: allow me to critcis here!

I agree with what others have said about greg's way of entering this forum. peronaly, I have posted very few times here, and greg was there sometimes to have his "dispute" on the topic addressed. even I/we were writin in english, he would still reply in french which I could not understand.

So here it is: If you ,greg, reply in french to someone you don't know, who wrote in english, without giving it a damn care whether we will be able to understand you, or not, then this what is called "biased" to one's own language with no respect to others, not when you said about me being biased to my own language becuase I said chinese is difficult. And if you say you are not Biased to french and having full respect to others, but by just assuming others will understand you, then this could give an indication of IQ level...So which one will you choose to be??
Guest   Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:26 am GMT
*sighs*

I'm so glad my fore fathers during the war of Independance left Boston for Canada. Funny thing.... most Canadians in the City of Windsor were decended from the fleeing loyalists from the 13 American colonies.
Guest   Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:55 am GMT
Who gives a shit. Saved us alot of shit to deal with you retards - thankgod you lefted for that stupid homo loving place you call a home.
Damian in London E16   Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:21 am GMT
Duh!! The last comment is that of a truly retarded bigot, purely and simply, but it's of no consequence. Perhaps some correct grammar/spelling would have made comprehension easier but as I say - I got the general message and it's of no consequence. "Nae bither" as we say back hame in Scotland.

I've long since given up "bithering" to translate French postings into English in a forum dedicated to the English Language. In Scotland we have an historical affinity with France that has lingered on down the centuries and is probably impossible to eradicate for various reasons, but even so it's a wee bit galling to see an example of linguistic French resentment based on the superior status of English on the world stage. The harsh reality of English now having gained dominance on the European stage as well has obviously added fuel to the flames of Gallic anti-Ango Saxon passion!

Sometimes La Manche seems to be wider than the Atlantic Ocean itself.

Pity.
Uriel   Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:56 am GMT
<<Size doesn’t matter after all. Trust me, I am a woman:) >>

Well, I'm one, too, but I have to disagree; size may not be everything, but it's half the battle....
Dokis   Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:13 am GMT
"Well, I'm one, too, but I have to disagree; size may not be everything, but it's half the battle.... "

Yes indeed, but not in bed! unless you got used with a super-sized vibrator.
greg   Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:24 am GMT
mjd : « (...) I still fail to understand the need to post *solely* in French (..) »
Na, auf augenfällige Gründe ist « ausschließlich » deutlich nicht das Adverb, das ich benutzt hätte...

mjd : « (...) as some sort of "protest" against English "monolingualism." »
Nein. Besser ein *bestimmter* Protest gegen die lächerliche Artikulierung diseses Forums zwischen bindender Einsprachigkeit (auch Einthemigkeit) und diesem arbeitscheuen Verhalten, der darin betsteht, alle die Sprachen der Welt in der selben "Abteilung" wegzuwerfen, ohne die kleinste sprachwissenschaftliche Denkbemühung aufzubringen.

mjd : « I say that not as an attack or criticism...it just puzzles me, that's all. »
Entiendo lo que dices y hay ningún problema con eso. Todavía pienso que la doble articulación (sin retruécano...) de este sitio es improductiva, en la medida en que Antimoon sea un sitio realmente lingüístico o para el conocimiento de los idiomas, incluidas todas las lenguas otras que el inglés. Wären weder die "Sprachenabteilung" noch die "Sprachen" keine Hauptziele für Antimoon, dann löscht sie aus !
greg   Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
Quod erat demonstrandum...

;)
Guest   Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:07 pm GMT
a guest   Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Well, Europeans, realize that your countries are the size of our states. How many of you know things about about all 50 of our states? Dokis, at least the person you were talking to knew a little bit about your history>>>

Johnatan,

I don't believe it has anything to do with knowing history. In my opinion Americans believe that teh only country on earth where people ahve everything is JUST the US.

I travel a lot and I would like to add another exemple.
A 25 year old woman (American born and raised) told me one time that Romania is as bas as Albania. I asked her why she believes so, and she said because her father , who is a lawyer went to Albania and people were very poor there and they were killing each other and sell the blood of the dead people. And I asked her again what does that have to do with Romania. She said; " You know Albania Romania are the same". She thought because the two words rhymed , same things were happening in both countries. Can you believe that someone is that idiot to say something like that?
After this discussion I told her that in Romania a minute has more then 60 seconds and she believed me.
Chamonix   Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:10 pm GMT
Greg,

Even if antique (old) Greek is not spoken anymore, Americans should know that in Greece they speak Greek and not Spanish or something else.
That shows you a lot about their ignorance.