Speak American

Gjones2   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:19 am GMT
Mxsmanic, I agree that it's important to emphasize mastery of the formal language, but you're not going to convince me that "a teenager from another planet" and "gangsta English" were not exaggerations.
Guest   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:26 am GMT
<<Everyone uses slang in normal conversation>>

I kinda disagree with you there.
Kirk   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:07 am GMT
<<I kinda disagree with you there.>>

No one speaks completely "standard." We all use phrases and expressions which are pretty much exclusive to normal conversation or specific social circles, and much of this goes on without us even realizing it. Popular perception is often that slang is the domain only of vapid teenagers or possibly hip-hop stars but in truth everyone uses slang.
Guest   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:12 am GMT
I don' use slang, I speak proper !
Kirk   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:15 am GMT
<<I don' use slang, I speak proper !>>

;)
kelli   Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:40 pm GMT
is tight really a slang word cause some of my friends say it is and some say it is not really what is it.
Damian   Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:09 pm GMT
**is tight really a slang word**

I know I'm an intruder in this thread but what the f**k.......here on this side of the Puddle "tight" means several things:

1 Very constricted due to lack of space
2 Uncomfortable / awkward situation: "Help me, I'm in a tight
spot"
3 Difficult and prolematic.... "She's in a tight money situation".
Something in short supply
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 What Scots are unfairly accused of being, mainly by guys south
of the border: mean and miserly. That is SO untrue. Recent
statistics proved that when it comes to charity donations
Scots give more than do the English or the Weslh! So there...hit
that nail on the head right now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Pissed.....blootered, hammered, trashed, bevvied, pie eyed

6 Play it tight.....a pop group co-ordinating in a cool manner

7 Sleeping well...sleep tight, prolly nothing to do with going to
bed when hammered
same guy   Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:11 pm GMT
prolematic = problematic
Achab   Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:29 pm GMT
I know of two slang meanings of ‘tight’.

The first one corresponds to ‘cute’, ‘nice’, etc., as in “the girl I went out with the other night was very tight”. I have heard that this meaning is fashionable among African-Americans.

The second one corresponds to ‘intimate’, ‘personally acquainted’, as in “John is very tight with Blaine, that’s why he’s always ganging up with him”.

Hope this helps.

Achab
salim öz   Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:51 pm GMT
HI I AM FROM TURKEY.I WANT TO SPEAKİNG ENGLİSH.HELP PLEASE!MY E MAİL ADDRESS İS salimlee@hotmail.com or sallimoz@mynet.com.I AM WAİT YOUR MESSGES.I AM A STUDENT AT THE ZONGULDAK KARAELMAS UNİVERSTY.SEE YOU !
A Master Debater and Cunn   Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:12 pm GMT
"I still don't use slang in English for this reason, even though English is my native language. I prefer to be accepted generally by everyone to being accepted by only one tiny group." - Mxsmanic

Dawg, it sounds like u weren't that cool of a cat in yo hood. Yur jive ass probably never had no friends, so now you is all bitter and shit. So you pick on some poor cat who can't get his shit straight. Its a shame!

Word to all yalls that know what I'm sayin! Ya dig?
Ecko   Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:28 pm GMT
Master...thx for that bad attempt at 30 yr old slang
Mxsmanic   Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:05 pm GMT
I never say IT'S ME. The correct form is IT IS I.
Kirk   Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:11 am GMT
<<I never say IT'S ME. The correct form is IT IS I.>>

Beause THAT subject hasn't been hashed and rehashed before *prolonged and dismissive eye roll*....
Travis   Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:16 am GMT
>>I never say IT'S ME. The correct form is IT IS I.<<

LOL. Stupid out-of-touch prescriptivist...