A concept of time

engtense   Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:37 am GMT
Russell Dawson wrote:
<<I get numerous requests from ESL students for ideas about how to improve their conversational English and it has been helpful to be able to refer them to that article.>>

My reply:
If your topic is conversation, how do you know we people here cannot speak well? My goodness, do you know it is a discussion forum?

I am afraid you have voiced yourself too arrogant. If you are English native speakers yourself, can you tell us why all English grammars will avoid to talk about the Past Family as pointed out in the following link (2.4 Forbidden grammar: the Past Family)?
http://www.englishtense.com/newapproach/2_4.htm

Do you have an idea to help us to use Present Perfect tense?

In the past, so many English native speakers in discussion have talked to me: "Believe me, I am an English native speaker." As the internet epoch evolves, few of them can embrace that advantage anymore, because now there is an umpire, the searching engine, between you and me. Try to add "internet" to your web page. Today, internet is an important tool to learn English.
rose   Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:03 am GMT
please explain to me agreement in these sentences:
she felt someone touch her shoulder.
the saw the hotel collapse in the middle of the night.
my question is why the second subjects some one and the hotel must followed by verb1( touch and collapse) not in verb2. thanks very much
engtense   Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 am GMT
I am afraid I don't know what is "verb2".
engtense   Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 am GMT
What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?
Is it past time, or present time?

Also, I want to know how other languages see it.
Ant_222   Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:31 pm GMT
«What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?
Is it past time, or present time?»

First of all, it is a time period, not a time moment. Do you get it?
Ant_222   Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
rose: I don't know. I have remembered this as a special construction.

I saw hiw enter the building,
I heard Fats Domino sing "Ain't that a shame",
and so on.
engtense   Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:59 am GMT
Is it a past time period, or present, or future?
Ant_222   Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
«Is it a past time period, or present, or future?»

With the reservation that it includes Now, it can be called a past period of time.

A present period of time is that which has Now inside itself (not at an end).
engtense   Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:49 pm GMT
What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?

Also, I want to know how other languages see it.
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
Waht is this: "With the reservation that it includes Now, it can be called a past period of time."?
Ant_222   Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:00 am GMT
Past is everything before Now. That time period consists of the past and Now.
Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
Engtense, I don't know where you get the idea that "since 2000" doesn't fit into the English tense system, or, even more ridiculous, that there is some sort of conspiracy among grammar publications to deny this.

"I've worked here since 2000"
"Since 2000, I've been working here"

This is clearly a past formation in English. In French however, this would be in the present:

"Je travaille ici depuis 2000"
engtense   Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
What about "I've bought two cars since 2000"? Does French say it in the present also?
Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
<<What about "I've bought two cars since 2000"? Does French say it in the present also?>>

No this is in the past in French:

"J'ai acheté deux voitures depuis 2000."

Notice that the first is a single continuous action extending up to now, so it is in the present, whereas the second is a serious of actions occuring before now so it is in the past.
engtense   Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:43 am GMT
Josh Lalonde wrote:
<<I don't know where you get the idea that "since 2000" doesn't fit into the English tense system>>

My reply:
I am afraid I don't have such idea. Where did I say that? I just asked about 'Since 2000' – does it fit in with whether past, present, or future? How would you link my question to such an idea?

Ant_222 didn't know what Since 2000 is, so he murmured:
<<With the reservation that it includes Now, it can be called a past period of time.
A present period of time is that which has Now inside itself (not at an end).>>
Do you know what he wanted to say? Did he want to say past, present, or future? Or did he want to say 'since 2000' doesn't fit into the English tense system?