Fans of British English!

Adam   Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:05 am GMT
"Ha ha. Those -gue endings just look French, not British"

The -og endings used by Yanks, like "catalog", are used by simpletons who can't spell the longer words such as "catalogue".
Pauline   Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:19 am GMT
you can make a compromise, and spell those endings :

-gg

catalogg. It wpould be funnyHaha !!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:32 am GMT
Actually Adam, when you think of it, spellings like "catalog" and "dialog" and "program" make more sense because that's exactly how the words are pronounced. It makes it as easy as falling off a logue.

Anyway, the spelling "program" is universaL, is it not? At least in computer terms, and many people here in Britland use the word "program" quite generally,rather than the more cumbersome
"programme", be it for TV/radio schedules or for any planned form of activity. I know many of the TV/broadcasting listings use the word "programme", but I, and many others, tend to use the shorter version. That's probably due to our computerised/technological indoctrination. (Could I have used shorter words there?)
Paulette   Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:13 pm GMT
I can just imagine Adamme sing the followingue to rhyme in his weird accent: Oh how I love yoU Kylie MinogUe.
Pete   Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:46 am GMT
<<Actually Adam, when you think of it, spellings like "catalog" and "dialog" and "program" make more sense because that's exactly how the words are pronounced. It makes it as easy as falling off a logue.>>

Are you sure Damian? Why does it make more sense? In my opinion spellings don't ever make any sense... Writing is only a vague system to graphically show what actual speech is, I see no reason why it should be "dialogue" or "dialog", then why not "dialogg" or what about this one "die-uh-log" or any other.

Pete
Rene   Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
The -og endings used by Yanks, like "catalog", are used by simpletons who can't spell the longer words such as "catalogue". ***

Can't spell longer words eh? Funny coming from someone who prefers the short word Yank to the longer word American, which is what we all use over here. And since Yank probably (I'm not saying definately because nobody knows for sure where that word came from but probably) came from the Indian word yangese, meaning Englishman; I find the notion that you took a word which meant yourselves, shortened it, and then used it as a term of scorn very amusing. This is all speculation (ohh, looky there a long word from an idiot like me) of course, but very entertaining nonetheless.

Alright, ramble over. I'll shut up now.
Some Penguin   Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:37 pm GMT
Hello Damian!

Back in Edinburgh, are you?

At least at the university here, it's "programme" all the time and never "program" =p
Damian in London N2   Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:50 pm GMT
Pete:

I'm fairly sure that the "-og" endings make more sense for simple practical purposes. As I say both versions are pronounced exactly the same way, and therefore the shorter simple versions make more sense...adding the extra letters serve no useful purpose in my opinion and is just a wee bit superfluous. :-0

Some Penguin:

I was home just for the weekend......needed to go to a mate's 25th birthday party.....I'm back down South again now but only until 20 Oct then it's back to Auld Reekie for good! :-) I didn't see you around town over the weekend.......... :-) Do you ever use the 30/33 buses down into town from outside the Commonwealth pool...they take you all the way down to the North Bridge or round the corner outside Waverley?

Programme/program......yes, it varies and uni's do tend to use the former, but even so many people use the shorter version, as I do.

PS: Have you bought your weatherproof gear yet? Been plenty of rain lately..... :-) I'm off away to bed now. Cheers.
Some Penguin   Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
Haha yes... I use the 30/33 buses very all the time, either one or the other depending on which one comes first =p. Today I took 33 to and back from Waverley. (Went to Glasgow for 3 hours to see some distantly-related relative... granduncle four-times-removed, but at an age fit to be an older cousin, some random connection like that.)

On a regular day, you'd be likely to find me on 7/37/47 in the morning, the university shuttle bus at noon, and 30/33 in the afternoon. Heheh, my courses are spread throughout the various campuses. The Ridacard is nice though - convenient and, I presume, not nearly half as expensive as an average Travelcard on London's Oyster?

I have my waterproof gear with me already. Taiwan isn't exactly a dry country... in fact, there's been less rain in Edinburgh than I expected (but come winter, and I shall see).

Oh, one more thing: You probably won't recognise me about town...

To avoid stares, random patting, and other such unpleasantries as will happen to a penguin on the loose, I usually change my form into that of a nondescript Chinese boy whenever I'm up and about =p
Tiffany   Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:09 am GMT
<<intresting (GAE: inneresting) >>

Funny you mention this as my co-worker and I were just having a discussion on weird pronunciation. "Inneresting" came up as a weird one as we both say "interesting", and consider it the norm. How many people actually say "inneresting"? It's obviously a native pronunciation since the former co-worker who used it is American, but it seems to be by no means a majority pronunciation to me. Is it?