Does anyone help me with this situation??

jazz   Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:41 pm GMT
Q1. If I need to return an electrical appliance or a purchased item to the shop for a refund.
How would I express youself?

Q2. If I have made an order of some foods in restaurant, but they didn't show up.
How do I put it into english?

Q3. If I want to invite someone sit down, can I say"Be sit, please", is it grammatical?

Guide and assistance would be much appreciated!!
Liz   Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
<<Q3. If I want to invite someone sit down, can I say"Be sit, please", is it grammatical?>>

No, for God's sake, it isn't! It sounds as if you were talking to a dog. :-) :-(

Use 'Take a sit, please' or, in more formal situations, you can say: 'seat yourself' or 'be seated'.
Ben   Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:20 pm GMT
Q1. Simply ask for a refund along the lines of 'Can I get my money back please?'

Q2. You can sarcastically ask the waitor 'Is there a hungry ghost in the kitchen devouring my food?'

As for question 3, I agree with Liz. Nobody likes to be addressed as a dog.
Johnathan Mark   Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
Q2: I would say, "I'm still waiting for my food--is it still coming?"
Q3: I would say, "Have a seat."
Liz   Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
<<You can sarcastically ask the waitor 'Is there a hungry ghost in the kitchen devouring my food?'>>

LOL! I'd like to see the waiter's expression...
Thank you!!!!   Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:50 am GMT
'Is there a hungry ghost in the kitchen devouring my food?'
Ben, sounds funny, your answer is so creative.

"No, for God's sake, it isn't! It sounds as if you were talking to a dog. :-) :-(
Oh god, I am sorry Liz, and thank you for teaching me.

Johnathan Mark, I appreciate your serious.

You guys have been very helpful, Thank you very much indeed!!!!
Guest   Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:10 am GMT
Oh, liz , I would like to ask somthing more (I hope you don't mind) about the use of 'be seated'?

The word "seated" should be a adj. , if so , can I say things like the following?

"Be louder" " Be whispered"
"Be gentle" or "Be polite"
"Be hard" or I should say that "give it a hard push"

Please guild if there are errors in the constructs of my sentences.

Looking forward to hear from you soon!!
Guest   Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:12 am GMT
Sorry, it should be "Please guide".
Guest   Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:33 am GMT
You can't say "Be whispered." but you can say "Be quiet."

Another thing... When you describe a man as hard, it can mean "sexually aroused", so don't say "Be hard."
Robin   Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:15 am GMT
The reason why English people will use one word rather than another, is to be polite, and not to offend people.

If you say: "Be seated!" , that is an order.

If someone decided that they don't want to 'Be seated' and decide to stay standing, then that is an insult to the person who gave the order.

So, English people are likely to phrase a request in a way in which they will not be insulted if the request is turned down.

"Would you like to be seated?"

or

"Please be seated"

or

"Would you like to sit down?"

or

"Please sit down"

A Polish friend recently asked me to explain the difference between 'A question' and 'A query'.

Essentially, they are the same. But whereas you might as 'a big question', you would only ask 'a small query'. So, a query is less important than a question.

If someone says to you, "I have a query?". They are asking a question, in such a way as not to cause offence.

If someone says: "I have a question?", they are asking a question.

The Prime Minister at 'Question Time' has to answer questions that MP (Members of Parliament) put to him. The Prime Minister might consider the question to be rude and offensive, but he will still do his best to answer it, if it is within the rules.

Someone at work might question a colleague by saying: "I do not wish to question what you are doing, but I have a query?"
Guest   Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 am GMT
Before asking this question. I can imagine that might land me in an embarrassed situation. Of course, I don't mean it that way. But thanks anyway guest.

To be polite is my cornern. I also worry about offening people, when speaking english. But how do I avoid it? Please guide Robin.
Liz   Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:57 am GMT
<<You can't say "Be whispered." but you can say "Be quiet."

Another thing... When you describe a man as hard, it can mean "sexually aroused", so don't say "Be hard.">>

I totally agree with that.

<<If someone says: "I have a question?", they are asking a question.>>

'Having a question' is very interesting, especially 'May I have a question?'.
Some people think that it's acceptable, but there are many British people who go ballistic when hearing someone say that. They reply that way:

A: May I have a question?
B: Yes. Which one do you choose? (as if he was offering pieces of cake)

LOL!!! :-)))

So, it might be better to say: 'May I ask you a question?' (at least in (some parts of) Britain.

What about it in the USA? Or in Brtitain? (Do you feel the same? Or would you say 'have a question'?)
Uriel   Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:22 am GMT
I think in either country you could say "May I ask you a question?" or "I have a question."

You would never say "May I have a question?" I've never heard that said before.
Liz   Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 am GMT
<<You would never say "May I have a question?" I've never heard that said before>>

I definitely would! :-)) I like to take it as a joke, but I know a few people who are seriously annoyed by anyone saying 'May I have a question?'

I often take the piss out of people by answering 'Yes. Which one do you choose?', but, in fact, I don't think there is anything wrong with 'having a question'.
Liz again   Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:06 am GMT
I mean 'I have a question' is OK. It is 'May I have a question?' that sounds a bit funny to my ears, but it might be OK, too. The reason for my slight aversion to 'May I have a question?' is that it sounds like 'May I have another piece of cake?'.