Does anyone help me with this situation??

Guest   Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:31 pm GMT
In America, no one would ever say "May I have a question?" I don't know about Britain.
Robin   Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 pm GMT
"May I have a question?"

Is a little bit like saying: "I have a query?"

Perhaps it would be better to say: "Can I ask a question?"

One of the problems in life, is that not everybody is sympathetic to people asking questions.

I suspect the usual answer would be: "Yes, if you must"

Going back to the original topic, which was about taking things back to shops. There is an element of gamesmanship in language. When you take something back to a shop you say: "It is not working!". The Salesperson then has to suggest reasons why it might not be working.

If you try to be too polite, and are too cautious about giving offence, then Salesman might ask: "Is there something that you have done, that has caused it not to work?"

Similarly with expressions that have a 'double meaning' or a 'sexual meaning'. If the expression was not meant to be taken in a particular way, then it would be rude to take it in that way. Sometimes, there will be exceptions, when something just strikes someone else as being very funny.

The Comedians, "Two Ronnies": Ronnie Barker had a gift with language, and could make jokes based on double meanings.
Robin   Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm GMT
"May I have a question?"

Is a little bit like saying: "I have a query?"

Perhaps it would be better to say: "Can I ask a question?"

One of the problems in life, is that not everybody is sympathetic to people asking questions.

I suspect the usual answer would be: "Yes, if you must"

Going back to the original topic, which was about taking things back to shops. There is an element of gamesmanship in language. When you take something back to a shop you say: "It is not working!". The Salesperson then has to suggest reasons why it might not be working.

If you try to be too polite, and are too cautious about giving offence, then Salesman might ask: "Is there something that you have done, that has caused it not to work?"

Similarly with expressions that have a 'double meaning' or a 'sexual meaning'. If the expression was not meant to be taken in a particular way, then it would be rude to take it in that way. Sometimes, there will be exceptions, when something just strikes someone else as being very funny.

The Comedians, "Two Ronnies": Ronnie Barker had a gift with language, and could make jokes based on double meanings.