Going to a Doctor

W Jefferson   Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
Should one say he has a "doctor's appointment" or a "doctor appointment?" Or are bothe correct?
no text   Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 pm GMT
doctor appointment
W Jefferson   Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:30 pm GMT
<doctor appointment> Really? That surprises me. It seems more logical, but I have heard only a few people say it. Most people, at least around where I live, add the " 's. " Anyway, that you very much for the reply.
the doctor   Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:14 pm GMT
<<doctor's appointment>>

Suggests that the doctor has an appointment, I was under the impression that it was the other way around. The patient having an appointment with the doctor! ;)
Guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:10 am GMT
I say: I have an appointment with the doctor.
Mary   Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:56 am GMT
I'm with W. Jefferson. You can argue about the syntax, but you will still sound foreign unless you say "doctor's appointment."
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:50 am GMT
I'm American and we say what I've heard as "doctor's appointment" all my life. You'd sound foreign saying "doctor appointment."
W Jefferson   Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:56 am GMT
Good to know. Thank you all for your replies.
abc   Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:39 am GMT
I have an appointment with the doctor
I have to see the doctor today
guest   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 am GMT
<<'ve heard as "doctor's appointment" all my life>>

If you say (I have a doctors appointment) it suggests that the doctor had an appointment himself, but you have now taken his appointment "I have a doctors appointment!!
Geoff_One   Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:58 pm GMT
Abcd: What was the highlight of your career?
Efgh: The doctor appointment at Hospital Wxyz in 19xx.
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
correct way is "doctor appointment" NOT doctor´s appointment!!

<<You'd sound foreign saying "doctor appointment.">>

If speaking correct English sounds foreign, so be it!! Having said that; this is an English learning forum and as such the correct form should be high lighted as well as encoureged...NOT the incorrect form.
Aquatar   Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:50 pm GMT
In the UK it's definitely 'I have a doctor's appointment'.

Isn't it the case though, that wheareas in the UK we say 'I am going to the doctor's', in the US they say 'I am going to the doctor'?
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
Interchangeable in the US Aquatar. I myself say "I am going to the doctor's" but I'd understand "I am going to the doctor" and it wouldn't sound strange to me.

It doesn't matter that "doctor's appointment" means something else technically. Native English-speakers in the UK and America have confirmed that they use "doctor's appointment". It sound non-native to say otherwise.

I'd like to know where those who say "doctor appointment" are from. It'd be interesting to see if they say it differently in Australia, New Zealand, etc.
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
<<In the UK it's definitely 'I have a doctor's appointment'. >>

I love new "information". Reason is that I hear both being used! (And only one is correct)

<<Native English-speakers in the UK and America have confirmed that they use "doctor's appointment".>>

That may be, many people use slang too (millions) but that should never be used as a base for an argument claiming that the term is correct because so many are using it. Stop that nonsense...please!

<<It doesn't matter that "doctor's appointment" means something else technically>>

Are you aware of what you just stated? Are you even aware of what kind of forum this is, if not please read my previous post.

<<I'd like to know where those who say "doctor appointment" are from.>>

I actually have double citizenships, British and... ;)