Going to a Doctor

the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
Just to be clear...yet again.

<<this is an English learning forum and as such the correct form should be high lighted as well as encoureged...NOT the incorrect form.>>
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:24 pm GMT
"Doctor's appointment" could in no way, shape or form be considered slag as it is both formal and informal usage here. But we'll let the learner's decide what they want to use. I will continue to sound native and correct as I am a native English speaker. I am telling learner's the correct way a native English speaker in America says it. Speakers who choose "doctor appointment" will be corrected here.

Citizenship doesn't mean a thing. I have Italian citizenship, but I would never assume I could correct the Italians. I am not native! If I want to speak like a native, I have to do as the natives do. When in Rome...
todosmentira   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
Reality check!!

<That may be, many people use slang too (millions) but that should never be used as a base for an argument claiming that the term is correct because so many are using it. Stop that nonsense...please!>

"Doctor's appointment" is STANDARD UK English ---- whether this is 'correct' or not is subjective and irrelevant.

Let me remind you that the original query was about SPOKEN English - spoken English is never 100% bound by consistent rules - fluency in English (which is exactly what a learner of English should be aiming) is not built upon spurious notions of 'correctness.'

<If you say (I have a doctors appointment) it suggests that the doctor had an appointment himself, but you have now taken his appointment "I have a doctors appointment!!>

It does not suggest this; it suggests that you have booked an appointment with a doctor, nothing more. English is a FLEXIBLE language - this is why we can legitimately use the possessive 's to signal relationships other than possession. For example:

Cow's milk [Who owns the milk? Is it 'correct' English to say 'The milk of the cow' ?]

The train's arrival was greatly appreciated. [Does anyone 'own' the arrival?]
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
I assume you meant..<<"Doctor's appointment" could in no way, shape or form be considered slang>>

I never said that it was slang. However I used slang to make a point, which is all.

<<Citizenship doesn't mean a thing>>

I never stated that it did. (Though for me it means very, very much)

<<I have Italian citizenship>>

That is a very nice heritage indeed Tiffany! : )

<<"Doctor's appointment" is STANDARD UK English ---- whether this is 'correct' or not is subjective and irrelevant.>>

I am aware of the fact that it is “standard” (in its spoken form), but that was not the point I was trying to make. I agree that it can be subjective (viewed its use in spoken form) but for someone learning the English language it is not irrelevant…period.

<<It does not suggest this; it suggests that you have booked an appointment with a doctor, nothing more>>

For a native speaker todosmentira, but not for someone that is trying to learn the language and that is important to point out here!, hence my example that you also quoted in your post.

<<English is a FLEXIBLE language>>

Yes it is, and that is one of the reasons why it is so difficult for none native speakers to learn.

Now ladies, go easy on me ;)
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
I have no problem with you pointing out how it might seem illogical, but when saying things like:

<<correct way is "doctor appointment" NOT doctor´s appointment!!

If speaking correct English sounds foreign, so be it!! Having said that; this is an English learning forum and as such the correct form should be high lighted as well as encoureged...NOT the incorrect form.>>

You are doing no good, just confusing the learner and furthermore encourging him to use a non-native form. He might not understand that the while not technically correct according to the "rules" (which are obviously made to be broken in English), "doctor's appointment" is the only acceptable way to say it if you want to sound native.

When learner's say "correct", they really want "correct for a native". You are encouraging a non-native form.

By the way, I have Italian citizenship because my husband is in Italian, not because of my heritage, but yes, I'm sure it will be a very nice heritage for my children to have.
Robin   Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:49 pm GMT
Possibly it should be Doctors Appointment, without the apostrophe.

Doctor Appointment is wrong.
Kelly   Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
Well, I COULD CARE LESS is also objected to (one should say I COULDN'T CARE LESS)...

doctor appointment - more correct, but less used
doctor's appointment - less correct, but more used

Here in Brazil, ''everybody'' is said TODO MODO (every world) which is less correct, but more used than TODO O MUNDO (whole world), the correct way to say...

It's called Força de uso (USAGE FORCE).
Kelly   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Well, I COULD CARE LESS is also objected to (one should say I COULDN'T CARE LESS)...

doctor appointment - more correct, but less used
doctor's appointment - less correct, but more used

Here in Brazil, ''everybody'' is said TODO MUNDO (every world) which is less correct, but more used than TODO O MUNDO (whole world), the correct way to say...

It's called Força de uso (USAGE FORCE).
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
I'm a native speaker and I say "I couldn't care less" so it is native usage. I realize many native speakers say "I could care less" as native usage too.

"Doctor appointment" and "doctor's appointment" is an entirely different matter as I have never heard a native speaker say "doctor appointment". I have yet to hear that it is native usage anywhere. It would sound distinctly non-native, not just another native variation as above.
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
<< You are doing no good, just confusing the learner >>

I disagree on that one, and argue that it is the other way around. Have you already forgotten the example of how a non – native speaker could misinterpret the form “doctor’s appointment?”

<<furthermore encouraging him to use a non-native form>>

As I have previously stated, both forms are being used so what is this “ranting” about non – native form.
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
Please give examples then of "doctor appointment" in native usage. I am open to considering it a native form if it is indeed proven to exist as such, but I have yet to see any evidence.
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
<<"I could care less" >>

Do you even want to go there?

<<"Doctor appointment" and "doctor's appointment" is an entirely different matter as I have never heard a native speaker say "doctor appointment">>

So now you are solidly using your own experience as to enforce what you view to be the correct form as well as being a non - native form?...as I have never heard a native.....
the doctor   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm GMT
<<Please give examples then of "doctor appointment" in native usage. I am open to considering it a native form if it is indeed proven to exist as such, but I have yet to see any evidence.>>

Forgive me, but I was helping a non native speaker to learn the correct form and at the same time point out why "doctor´s appointment" could be misinterpreted for the non - native speaker. We could discuss the form " I could care less" too. Would love to see your take on that one!
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
I am using my experience as a native to qualify my statement about "doctor's appointment" being native, as well as the statements by other native English-speakers. I'm not sure how you can argue with that as I have proof in the form of answers by other native speakers, and they have all stated the given country. So far "doctor's appointment" is the only native form in the UK and the US. I would include Canada, as I am Canadian as well.

You still have not answered the question - where is "doctor appointment" native?
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
Since both "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" are native forms, that discussion would be different than this one.

I have commented when people said "I could care less", but I'm no prescriptivist.