Do Irish people like to be called Paddies???

Vince   Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
I think it's an ugly nickname and very disrespectful to call Irish people paddies. What do the Irish think?
John   Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:16 pm GMT
I also think it's very disrespectful to call Micks Paddies!
Guest   Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:26 pm GMT
English Cockroaches
Adam   Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:42 pm GMT
Irish are Paddies, Scots and Jocks, Welsh are Taffs, the French are Frogs or Stinkies.

What's the problem?
Liz   Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
<<Irish are Paddies, Scots and Jocks, Welsh are Taffs, the French are Frogs or Stinkies.

What's the problem?>>

And the English are Limeys??? No way, man. Well, that's the problem.
Im in freaking tears here   Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
<<Irish are Paddies, Scots and Jocks, Welsh are Taffs, the French are Frogs or Stinkies.

What's the problem?>>

ROFL!! One of the funniest comments I have seen in this forum...what´s the problem? LOL. Well then I am a blimey Limey...love it!!

haha...humour ladies and gents...humour!
Damian in London N2   Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
The insanity of Political Correctness has had no effect on the traditional national epithets to refer to people from the four Home Countries of the UK. We Scots are proud to be called Jocks, as are the Welsh in being referred to as Taffs (or Taffies) and the Irish as Paddies. The latter is merely an affectionate shortened version of Patrick anyway.

There is nothing offensive in it at all. I'm down here in London, a Jock among gazillions of Sassenachs (admittedly there are other Jocks where I work as it's a Scottish paper, and a single Scotsman among a group of Englishmen is inevitably called a Jock. Likewise with a Taff (Taffy) or a Paddy.

Come to think of it, the English.....we call them Sassenachs, but I'm sorry to say it does not quite have the same amicable ring to it as does Jock. When we use the word Sassenach it tends to be used a wee bit pejoratively. This is in much the same way as when the Welsh refer to the English as "Sais" (pronounced sharply and sibilantly as "sise"), and this word is a derivation of the Welsh word "Saeson" (an English person) and "Saesneg" (the English Language). As with us, the Scots, the Welsh can be accused of hissing the word "Sais" ith just a hint of animosity! Ha! Never mind....when the chips are down we're all one big Band of Brothers and Sisters together.

Limey......it's never used here....it doesn't apply, as it's of American origin historically.....something to do with the British habit of scoffing limes to ward off scurvy and Vit C deficiency.

Gone midnight......off tae ma pit! Guid nicht!
Im in freaking tears here   Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:05 am GMT
<<Limey......it's never used here.>>

So true, but...
I assume Liz is a Yankee women so for her I would be a "blimey limey" :)
Mr Cockroach   Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am GMT
"The insanity of Political Correctness has had no effect on the traditional national epithets to refer to people from the four Home Countries of the UK."

You include the whole of Irelannd. They, largely, escaped British hospitality in the twenties. In Northern Ireland, the people can choose to be a subject of the Queen or a equal citizen of a democratic republic.
Liz   Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
<<Limey......it's never used here.>>

<<So true, but...
I assume Liz is a Yankee women so for her I would be a "blimey limey" :)>>

So true, but I can assure you that I'm not a Yank. It was just my gut reaction to Adam's deliberately nationalistic comment (it was meant to hurt you, whether you like those nicknames or not). Of course "it (limey) is never used here"!!!
Liz   Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
BTW, I'm a womAn and NOT womEn. I'm in the singular since I'm not schizophrenic. :-)) Sorry, I don't mean to hurt you. I'm just kidding.

To avoid further misunderstanding, the essence of my message is the following: many Welsh, Scottish, Irish etc. people DO NOT like the aforementioned nicknames, and Adam, as an ardent nationalist, obviously wouldn't be happy with Americans, Australians etc. calling him a limey. (At least I reckon so.)
Adam   Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:49 pm GMT
"And the English are Limeys??? No way, man. Well, that's the problem."

And the Americans are Yankee Doodle Dandies or Sceptic Tanks. So what IS the problem?
Liz   Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
<<And the Americans are Yankee Doodle Dandies or Sceptic Tanks. So what IS the problem?>>

They are SEPTIC tanks, NOT SCEPTIC tanks. A tank is NOT and animate being, therefore it can't be sceptic. But I'm rather sceptical about your comments.
greg   Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
Brennus : tu es plus prompt à supprimer les sujets portant sur la linguistique que les insultes xénophobes gratuites. C'est dommage pour Antimoon.
Guest   Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:17 am GMT
Adam has a title all to himself: autistic dickhead. How's that for PC?