British humour

Reilita (Germany)   Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:55 am GMT
Hello everybody and in this special case preferably Britons,

I am writing a term paper on British humour and would like to know, what TV show is the very first that comes into your mind, when thinking about typical British humour?

Best, Reilita.
Robin   Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
I lost the message that I was hoping to send. Which was probably just as well as I was getting into the swing of Bernard Manning Jokes. You might find this article interesting. I haven't read it in full, but I liked the way it started.

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=7569

In terms of Comedy Programs on TV. Look at the TV Web Sites.

Fairly obvious choices are:

"Little Britain"

"Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps"

One of the points I was trying to make, was that there are sucessful Television Comedies, there are also sucessful Television Comedians. I not thinking of 'Stand Up Comics' who do Television shows, but Characters who do a series of shows: such as Dawn French and her husband, whose name I have forgotten.
Ben   Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:47 pm GMT
I love Little Britain. I am not sure if it is representative of English humour in general, but it is certainly the epitome of classic toilet humour. And that's universal, really.
Guest   Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:30 pm GMT
Last night police were called to a branch of Pizza Hut after a body of a member of staff was found covered in mushrooms, onions, ham and cheese. The police spokesman said that there was a strong possiblity that the man had topped himself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two little old ladies were walking through the park one Sunday afternoon. The band was playing a catchy sounding tune, and one of the old ladies said, "I wonder what the name of that tune is". The other one noticed a sign posted near the bandstand and said, "It looks like they post the names of their selections. I'll go down and see". A while later she came back and told her companion, "It's the Refrain from Spitting".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hermit was arrested after driving a hundred miles an hour, the charge was recluse driving.

When William Shakespeare went swimming one day he was obsessed with the notion that moths had been feeding on the back of his swimming trunks! He asked a friend to investigate and make a thorough search. The friend replied, "No holes, bard."

A man was walking down the street and he met a small boy. The man asked what was his name.
The boy replied, 'six and seven-eighths.'
The man asked him why his parents had given him such a strange name, and he replied, 'they just picked it out of a hat.'

A man wants into a pub and asks for a pint of lager and a packet of helicopter crisps.
'Sorry', said the barman, 'we don't have any helicoper crisps, we only have plane.'

A man goes into a fish and chip shop and says 'Can I have fish and chips twice please?'
The shop owner says, 'I heard you the first time.'

A policeman walked over to a parked car and asked the driver if the car was licensed. 'Of course it is,' replied the driver.
'Great, I'll have a pint then.'

Railway Porter (cheerfully) - Miss the train, sir?
Angry Passenger - No, I didn't like the look of it, so I chased it out of the station.

Jo   Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
What about Sue Townsend and (long ago) Faulty Towers?
Guest   Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am GMT
OK, who is Sue Townsend?

also, Faulty Towers was a long time ago. I think we should try to think of current comedy.

Do you like Pam Ayres? I think she is interesting in the context of this Forum, and I do quite like her, in the same way that I like Beryl Cook the Painter.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sue Townsend

Sue Townsend is the creator of Britain's best loved and bestselling diarist, Adrian Mole.

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 1/2 and its sequel, The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole were both number one bestsellers and made Sue Townsend the bestselling novelist of the 1980s. In 1991 came a third volume: Adrian Mole from Minor to Major, in 1993 Adrian Mole - The Wilderness Years and in 1999 Adrian Mole: the Cappuccino Years. Together the Mole diaries have sold over 8 million copies, have been adapted for radio, television, theatre and been translated into 34 languages.
Jim   Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:38 am GMT
The first that came to my mind was the "Young Ones". Yeah, a long time agao too.
Pete   Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:17 am GMT
Maybe... "Fools and horses"??? LOL
Reilita   Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:25 am GMT
Well, I intended to get the answer "Monty Python´s Flying Circus." ... Sorry, it was some kind of test to - you know - write something like "Monty Python´s Flying Circus is still seen as one of the most typically British........."
But I konw The Young Ones, too and there are parallels. My question now: Why where these series so popular? They are absolutely unrealistic, sometimes completely senseless and in Germany this would have meant, that they would have been popular - yes - but just within their time. But MP and The Young Ones are konwn worldwide, even among today´s youth. Both are used to teach British TV at my university, every highschool-student knows at least Live Of Brian. Why is that? What is it, that makes them unique?
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
"The Office", "The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen" and "Smack the Pony"!
Hilarious all of them!
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
Sorry, "The League of Gentlemen", that should be. But they sure are extraordinary!
Reilita   Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:11 pm GMT
Could pepperpots, gay judges and everyone working for any kind of the caricatured TV shows laugh about MPFC, or was it offending at that time?
Uriel   Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
So, to you Brits out there, were the jokes above really what you would call laugh-out-loud-funny? Because to me, they weren't -- I got them, but...
Guest   Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman went into a pub in the centre of Dundee and ordered a whisky each.

They were just about to sip on their lovely malts when three huge bluebottles buzzed in and... plop, plop, plop....they each fell into a glass.

The Englishman is so repulsed he pushes his glass away. The Irishman fishes his out and continues drinking quite unperturbed.

The Scotsman picks his bluebottle out of the glass too, but holds it up and shakes it violently shrieking at it:

"Spit it oot ya wee bastard!"
Uriel   Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Okay, THAT was really funny!