get - Geet vs Geht

Smeadow   Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:43 am GMT
When do you pronounc geet and when do you pronounce geht?
Jim   Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
That depends on what you mean by "geet" & "geht". I always pronounce it as /get/ using the Internation Phonetic Alphabet.
Guest   Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:50 pm GMT
It's pronounced "git" in American English
from NY state   Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 pm GMT
<<It's pronounced "git" in American English>>

Maybe in a few places, but not around here. I'm guessing that your "Geht" spelling is how we'd pronounce it here, and throughout much of the US.
Uriel   Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
It's always "geht" (short E) for me. I've never heard anyone say "geet" (long E).
Lazar   Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
I always pronounce the word "get" as "geht" ["gEt], and this is definitely the most common pronunciation in American English. I know that some Southerners pronounce it as "git" ["gIt], but I've never heard of anyone pronouncing it as "geet" ["git].
Travis   Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:45 am GMT
I myself normally pronounce "get" as ["gE?] but in more careful speech on one hand I not uncommonly pronounce it as ["gEt] and in more informal speech on the other hand I very often pronounce it as ["gE]. Note, though, that the ["gE] pronunciation is most likely due to glottal stop elision and primarily shows up in positions wherre ["gE?] can show up; however, it will at times show up before words starting with vowels, unlike ["gE?], and these positions are likely due to intervocalic alveolar flap elision.
Travis   Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:51 am GMT
Note that I generally pronounce "get" as ["gE4] before words starting with vowels besides the case of ["gE].
Kelly   Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
It's pronounced get [gEt] in General American, with an open E
(but closer than AE)... get [get] ([e] is closed e in IPA) ) is Southern Pronunciation.

Also, there are many shifts in the US/Canadian English, so
get can be pronounced as [gAEt] in some accents.
Lazar   Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:48 am GMT
I assume that by [gAEt] you mean IPA [gæt], or X-SAMPA [g{t]. If you'd like to write words phonetically/phonemically on Antimoon (because, unfortunately, most of the special IPA characters are unavailable here), I'd advise you to use X-SAMPA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA ) which is a simple conversion of IPA symbols to an ASCII format.
PNW   Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:46 am GMT
Here in the Pacific Northwest, most people pronounce it as "git" [gIt], although some pronounce it "get" [gEt].
Rene   Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 pm GMT
<It's always "geht" (short E) for me>

Me too, only sometimes I drop the t.
Pete   Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:54 am GMT
I guess that in much of New Zealand they pronounce it like 'git' [gIt]. am I right?
Q   Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:28 am GMT
>> I guess that in much of New Zealand they pronounce it like 'git' [gIt]. am I right? <<
Yeah, I think so. I remember reading something about the NZ vowel shift where a -> e, and e->i.
Adam   Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:45 am GMT
It should be pronounced so that it rhymes with the word "bet" although many non-English people who speak English 9or as close to English for them as is possible) such as the Scots sometimes pronounce it as "geet" or any number of other weird pronounciations.