Why do people look down on Spanish?

guest 1   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:25 am GMT
hey its ok i just went for while
guest 1   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:26 am GMT
i forgot to say bye im very sorry
Guest   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:28 am GMT
celular is un telephone portable
guest 1   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:29 am GMT
and you can say mierda when ever you feel like, its not offensive for latin americans
fab   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:57 am GMT
" The religious factor seems to be of less importance now that most Europeans are very secular in nature. "
Actually, in my experience, I've found that it's mainly Southern Europeans who tend to emphasise religion as one of the alleged differences between Northern and Southern Europe."

The catholic/protestant opposition in Europe is not a question of the nowadays level of practice of the religion, as now most of people don't practice any religion in most European countries. But it's how the way the differences of values in both religions have constructed the "catholic" and "protestant" mentallities. How the countries with a traditionally important protestant tradition have known a very different evolutions in the relation to work, life, social relations, comunities, and more than all with money in comparision with the countries with a very important traditional and historical catholic influence.

You should read the writings of the german sociologist Max Weber about this subject in the book "le protestantisme et l'essence du capitalisme"
(I don't know the name in English)
This book is very instructive to understand the differences beetween northern and southern Europe (and alos beetween north and latin America).
LAA   Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:56 am GMT
They don't have it at the local library. I assume the English translation would be "Protestantism and the Essence of Capitalism".
Tiffany   Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:23 am GMT
<<I think that Jewish guy said it best: "Do onto others, as you wish them to do onto you.">>

Reread my posts. You'll find it's already been quoted in this thread - by me.

<<Sometimes people never really associate me with anything other than white, at the recesses of their brain, because they can't get past my looks.>>

This is the point, and that is why it is easier to stereotype visible minorities. You pretty much just copped to be be racially identified as "white".

I never said you never experienced racism, but there is a huge difference in the ease of identifying me as a minority, than you. They have to "find out" you're a minority, as you said. They know I am a minority when they look at my face. Therein lies the difference, the ease of identification. After all, it is "difference" they are afraid of, isn't it?

They would never mistake me for "one of them". You possess certain "luxuries" I don't.

Anyway, I won't be discussing this again, even though prejudice is a topic I am passionate about. However, this thread is getting too off topic. Let's please speak about languages.
Benjamin   Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:56 am GMT
« The catholic/protestant opposition in Europe is not a question of the nowadays level of practice of the religion, as now most of people don't practice any religion in most European countries. But it's how the way the differences of values in both religions have constructed the "catholic" and "protestant" mentallities. How the countries with a traditionally important protestant tradition have known a very different evolutions in the relation to work, life, social relations, comunities, and more than all with money in comparision with the countries with a very important traditional and historical catholic influence. »

There is one issue I have with this viewpoint though. Go to Baden-Würtemburg in Southwest Germany. You can go to one town there (e.g. Michelstadt) and find that the main church there is Lutheran. You can go to another town (e.g. Heppenheim) and find that the main church there is Roman Catholic. And then, you can go to another town (e.g. Neckargemünd) and find that there are two churches of equal size, one Roman Catholic and the other Lutheran. However, I cannot accept that these towns are radically different from each-other.

It's not as simple as 'Southern Europe = Catholic' vs. 'Northern Europe = Protestant'. What about Ireland? What about Austria? What about Southern Germany? What about the Southern Netherlands? What about Flanders? Equally, 'Catholicism' and 'Protestantism' are not 'two religions' as such as you suggest.
Benjamin   Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:10 am GMT
Adding to my previous point... did you realise that Frankfurt am Main actually has a notionally 'Catholic' majority? Now that's definitely a very 'Northern European' and capitalist/financial sort of city.
ich   Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:00 am GMT
>>you can go to another town (e.g. Neckargemünd) and find that there are two churches of equal size, one Roman Catholic and the other Lutheran.<<

there are two different churches in almost every german town, but generally Germans don't really care about religion anymore. Mostly older people still go to churches, apart from that churches are nowadays nothing more than a work of art.
Benjamin   Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:47 am GMT
« there are two different churches in almost every german town, but generally Germans don't really care about religion anymore. Mostly older people still go to churches, apart from that churches are nowadays nothing more than a work of art. »

Ja, natürlich. Es ist dasselbe in England.
Yes, of course. It is the same in England.
Pauline   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:02 pm GMT
« and you can say mierda when ever you feel like, its not offensive for latin americans »

LOL ! i didn't wrote this word, or other rude ones, but i agree that it's not an offensive one.sometimes I'm saying such words but mostly not because my mother not like them Haha !!

About the relgiion, in Belgium everywhere it's traditional catholic, and in south Netherlands also. So, here (belgium), although there's a big linguistic division, there isn't a relgious one. In Holland, where there's not a linguistic division, you can find the religious one : i think the catholics there are more family orientated, and the protestant people (calvinist) are more serious about work, and behave exemplerarylly (their opinion) this is associated with the word : ''sober''. I think it would mean serious, not joking around, practical and direct.It's a false friend of English sober to be not drunk, but maybe this is partly of the definition.

If you look at Belgium, you can see the contraste germanic / latin. If you look at Holland you can see the contraste protestant /catholic. Both are northwest Europe, so this issue it can't be north / south europe only, although this is the predominant pattern I suppose.

I hope you can understand my english !!!!
Benjamin   Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 pm GMT
It often seems to me that there is a popular misconception amongst people from traditionally Roman Catholic societies that there is some kind of unified 'Protestantism'. This, however, is not the case.

On the one hand, you have the pseudo-Catholic denominations (no offence intended), such as Anglicans and Lutherans. These are the main forms of 'Protestantism' in England, Germany, Finno-Scandinavia, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (their prescence in the United States is relatively small).

Equally, you have the churches influenced strongly by John Calvin, including Calvinist, Presbyterian and Reformed churches. These are found mainly in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. This might be the more stereotypical type of Protestantism, including predestination, restraint and simple worship services.

And then, you have the more Evangelical and often fundamentalist denominations such as Baptists, which is the largest form of Protestantism in the United States (especially the South).

In addition to this, there are various other forms which I haven't outlined here.

The distinction between 'Catholicism' and 'Protestantism' is not anywhere near as clear as some suggest. In my opinion, Anglican theology and practice is more similar to Roman Catholic theology and practice than to Baptist theology and practice. In fact, some say that Anglicans (e.g. the Church of England) is actually a Catholic church, rather than a Protestant one -- just not *Roman* Catholic.
LAA   Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
<<The distinction between 'Catholicism' and 'Protestantism' is not anywhere near as clear as some suggest. In my opinion, Anglican theology and practice is more similar to Roman Catholic theology and practice than to Baptist theology and practice. In fact, some say that Anglicans (e.g. the Church of England) is actually a Catholic church, rather than a Protestant one -- just not *Roman* Catholic.>>

Yep. That's why the puritans in Parliament complained for years about doing away with the old "pagan" practices and traditions of the Catholic church, which were still in existence in the Anglican church.

This touches on something that I've always found to be very interesting. It's funny how the former provinces of the Roman Empire (Western, Latin speaking ones) remained predominantly Roman Catholic in the face of the protestant reformation, almost as if they were making a political statment. It was like they were trying to remain loyal to the pope in Rome, who they saw as their rightful, legitimate soveriegn. And in seems like in many cases, northern Europeans didn't wish to answer to Rome, so that they broke away, and created their own independant church.
LAA   Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 pm GMT
I understand what you are saying Tiffany. There were even times when I had to correct people about my nationality, and remind them that I was Mexican. So, I understand what you are saying. But for those of us "invisible minorities" who aren't cowards, people know who we are. I am very proud of who I am, and it's obvious to other people what I am. I don't try to conceal it as some have the tendency of doing. And being that I've experienced extreme forms of racism (aka. - getting beat to a pulp), I don't think it's fair to say that you have it any easier than me. At least not all of the time. Then again, I've been attacked for being "white" by other minorities also. For some reason when a hate crime is commited, the perpetrators feel they need to outnumber me at least 3 to 1. The only people I haven't been jumped by are Asians. Hey Presley, your people rock dude!