Quelqu'un aurait-il une explication ?

K. T.   Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
Thank-you for sharing these examples, Mallorquí. Hmmm. Using "tu" in Occitan and "vós" in Catalan makes me think about how, in the KJV Bible, "Hallowed be Thy Name." is used. Some people still pray using the second person singular (Thee, Thou, Thy) in English.

"Deute" i "culpa" són maneres idèntiques de dir la mateixa noció."

The following words are used in English:

Debts, sins, or trespasses

I never know what version a person or church will use, and to me these words are not exactly equivalent in English.

I think this prayer remains a good way to compare languages. I also like the longer passage in the Old Testament/Jewish Bible on the tower of Babel that Omniglot uses. I imagine many people already know about this interesting website, but here's a way to get there and compare many, many languages.

Thanks again, K. T.

Please type the address below.

http://www.omniglot.com/babel/index.htm
Xie Z.A.   Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:45 am GMT
As I witnessed in some forums, it's actually fine to just lock a post that violates forum rules or just doesn't sound right (like getting off the topic) - and I do see some locked posts that remain here. It's disappointing to see the input of yourself getting deleted without prior notice (no PM, no public notice, etc). I understand the limitations of forum design... and well, all other technical matters but.... I'm afraid I could never understand certain people, really.
K. T.   Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:51 am GMT
Did you feel my reply was off-topic?