The British are descended from the Spaniards

Sylvia   Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 am GMT
I am half german and half british and to top it have lived in spain for the last 31 years and am married to a Spaniard. On my mothers side the family are all welsh and from my very first days I recall her comments on "the welsh were the first settlers in Britain). As for the germanic period I think (I might be mistaken) that their influence was a little later than that of the Iberians, has anybody been to see what is left of the iberian villages in cataluña? or read-up a little on their history, before the release of the article in dispute, did anybody know they existed?....
Punto   Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:01 am GMT
of course sure! The british are spaniards!!! What a joke! The british are british and their culture is annoying, evrything is said!
Adam   Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
The Welsh weren't the first settlers in Britain even though they like to tell the English that they are the true and native Britons.

A people known as the Beaker People were here before the Welsh.
Guest   Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:09 pm GMT
Aren't the Beaker People also though to be of Iberian origin? At least one theory says it is where they came from. If this is true the Beaker people , the Iberians and the Celts all migrated from the Iberian peninsula to the British Islands. One following the other.
Adam   Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
The Beaker People are the ones who built the second stage of Stonehenge in Wiltshire, England (it was built in several stages over a period of centuries). Even though it's in England, some silly Welsh people are claiming Stonehenge for Wales as, they say, it was built in what is now England but before the English arrived but maybe whilst the ancestors of the Welsh lived in what is now England.

The Beaker people arrived in Britain circa 2500 BC.

According to Wikpedia:

"Some believe the Beaker culture to be of Iberian origin (modern day Spain and Portugal). To others, the Beaker culture apparently derives from early Corded Ware culture elements, with the Netherlands/Rhineland region as probably the most widely accepted site of origin, (J. P. Mallory,EIEC p. 53). It is often suggested as a candidate for an early Indo-European culture.

Beaker culture objectsIn contrast to this, Marija Gimbutas derived the Beakers from east central European cultures that became "Kurganized" by incursions of steppe tribes. Despite this, an eastern origin is not often sought, even by supporters of the Kurgan hypothesis."
Adam   Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
So not just the Celts, but also the Beaker People - some of the very first modern humans in Britain - were Spanish.
Gringo   Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
There were no Spanish people at that time.Spanish are only the people of Spain. The name of the peninsula is Iberia; the correct common name for all is Iberian people. Gibraltar is not Spanish, it is British, but they are Iberian people too. It is the only nation not Iberian that has a colony/territory in the Iberian peninsula.
Ralph   Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:43 am GMT
The British from Gibraltar, the Spanish and the Portuguese are all Iberian. I agree it is wrong to call them Spanish, they are British Iberians, not Spanish. It is wrong to call Spanish to British subjects. It is like saying that the Dutch are Germans instead of Germanic.
If there is a common name for all the people it is better to use it insted of using one nation name.
Punto   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 pm GMT
Adam,

As usual ypu have shown to everybody your ignorance. How could the spanish exist when they aren't an entity itself?

the welsh are darker than the englsih? Oh really, what about the english who are native form Africa, India..?
Oops sorry, i forgot you were racist...
greg   Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
Brennus ?!...
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:47 pm GMT
The Beaker folk preceded the Celts in the British Isles by thousands of years. It is believed that they had dark hair and eyes, and that they had olive complexions, and it is also believed that they came from Iberia. The British are partly descended from these people. The British were not descended from the Spanish. The Spanish were Romanized Celt-Iberians who appeared much later in history.