Which one is more difficult?

Guest   Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
Drujnik

Why, are you fluent in all five of the languages then?
Drujnik   Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:51 pm GMT
No, im not. But I studied all of them before except Portuguese and Rumanian.With their conjugations, I think both spanish and italian are much more difficult to learn than English. Spanish and italian also have noun gender and you have to adjust the adjectives by looking at the gender of nouns. And in both languages you add the addictions to the end of the verb. For example you say " Yo hablo español" or "io parlo italiano", but not "yo hablar español" or "io parlare italiano" while you say it " I speak English" in English. Aren't I right?
Guest   Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
Yes, you are, and there's little doubt that English is easier to learn to a reasonable degree of proficiency. That's why I asked if you are fluent in all five languages, because reaching fluency in a language is another matter, and the difficulty by the time you reach anywhere near this level cannot just be measured in terms of things like verb conjugations and adjective endings.
DRUJNIK   Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
WHATEVER.I DON'T STILL AGREE THAT SPANISH OR ITALIAN IS EASIER TO LEARN THAN ENGLISH.BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALSO SO MANY EXCEPTIONS.
Guest   Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:46 pm GMT
Well, I wouldn't know as I only speak English (mother tongue) and German. But some people on this thread have stated that Spanish and Italian are easier than English so maybe they can give their reasons
Guest   Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:12 pm GMT
>>I DON'T STILL AGREE THAT SPANISH OR ITALIAN IS EASIER TO LEARN THAN ENGLISH.BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALSO SO MANY EXCEPTIONS<<

By the way, it's 'I still don't agree' and not 'I don't still agree'. This would imply that you did once agree, but no longer do, although it would still be awkward English Also it should be 'they also have' and not 'they have also' and the 'so many exceptions' bit doesn't sound right either.

I don't usually like to criticise the English of non-native speakers, but when they insist that English is easy, while making a number of mistakes in just a few lines, the temptation becomes overwhelming.
Drujnik   Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
Sorry but I am influenced by my native tongue I think.I speak Turkish, and it belongs to the Ural-Altaic language family, you know. By the way im 17 years old.So this is my knowledge that I have taken from my high school.So i don't expect you to criticise me that way.Anyway, thank you for displaying my faults everywhere...
Guest   Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
Drujnik

Yes, everyone is influenced by their native tongue when learning another language and everyone makes mistakes. As I said I don't usually criticise non-native speakers' English, but when someone says that English is easy, yet manages to make several errors even within a few sentences, I feel that hi-lighting those errors serves to show that maybe it is not quite so easy after all. To be honest someone could probably find some mistakes in what I have just written, native speakers do make mistakes as well. Anyway, you shouldn't get upset about someone correcting your English, as it will help you improve.
Calliope   Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 pm GMT
"but when someone says that English is easy, yet manages to make several errors even within a few sentences, I feel that hi-lighting those errors serves to show that maybe it is not quite so easy after all."
Geez, the guy said English was easier to learn, not that you can be as good as a native speaker out of the blue.

Spelt out: it is easier to reach a certain level in English, than it is to reach the very same level in one of those other languages.

And I sort of agree. When I took Italian it was relatively easy for me, but only because I already knew French. I remember the rest of my classmates were struggling. Getting to a decent level in French was also a bitch in comparison to English. I would guess it goes the same for Spanish, though I don't really speak the language.

Don't take it as an insult. I don't believe it is bad for a language to be straight forward and well defined - therefore easier to learn. It's not that English is simplistic (hell no - I am still haunted by all those phrasal verbs), just that there are less gray, vague areas.
João   Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
Any romance language is harder to learn than english for a non-romance and non-english speaker
Linda   Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Of course English is a piece of cake in comparison to other languages;such as Spanish and French (all romance languages except Italian) I dont think Italian would be a hard one it has clear pronunciation and does not have all the grammar rules found in Spanish and French. I've heard English speakers speaking Italian and They are good pronouncing italian much better as they pronounce Spanish, definitely Spanish is more difficult than Italian even when you look at the verb sistem Spanish one would be even harder than French verb sistem whereas, English is always considered the easy one beacause its simple grammar and verb sistem.

Do you really think Spanish is an easy language to read? I've heard English speakers trying to read it , and i wasn't able to understand a word, trust me they are better at Italian definitely;whatever there is a list the most difficult to least difficult.

French
Spanish
English
German
Portuguese
Italian
brandon   Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:43 am GMT
No, im not. But I studied all of them before except Portuguese and Rumanian.With their conjugations, I think both spanish and italian are much more difficult to learn than English. Spanish and italian also have noun gender and you have to adjust the adjectives by looking at the gender of nouns. And in both languages you add the addictions to the end of the verb. For example you say " Yo hablo español" or "io parlo italiano", but not "yo hablar español" or "io parlare italiano" while you say it " I speak English" in English. Aren't I right

You are right! It's imposible to speak Italian and Spanish without knowing all the verb conjugations and many exeptions that learners must know to be be able to hold a conversation. I'm agree with you English is eaiser to learn than Spanish than italian than viceversa.
brandon   Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:46 am GMT
i'm sorry I was typing to fast I pushed the wrong lettersteh last sentence was: I'm agree with you that English is easier to learn than spanish and Italian than English is for italians and spaniards.
Tiffany   Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:52 am GMT
Linda, regarding Italian, you have no idea what you are talking about.

<<I dont think Italian would be a hard one it has clear pronunciation and does not have all the grammar rules found in Spanish and French.>>

<<I've heard English speakers speaking Italian and They are good pronouncing italian much better as they pronounce Spanish>>

Proof? There are many grammar rules in Italian, similar to both French and Spanish. As for pronunciation being easier... right. See my analysis on the previous page.
greg   Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:27 am GMT
Linda : « Of course English is a piece of cake in comparison to other languages;such as Spanish and French (all romance languages except Italian) I dont think Italian would be a hard one it has clear pronunciation and does not have all the grammar rules found in Spanish and French. »

Tiffany : « I have studied both languages. I would say that Italian in general was harder to pronounce, especially because of the double consonants, which English speakers have a hrad time with. »

L'italien n'est pas plus "facile" à prononcer que le français ou l'espagnol. Pour ma part, je trouve la prononciation de l'italien *AUSSI* difficile que celle de l'espagnol, c'est-à-dire *PLUS DURES* que celle du français — il s'agit de ma langue maternelle.

En ce qui concerne les règles de grammaire italienne, elles ressemblent beaucoup aux règles française et espagnole, avec des différences naturellement. De plus, il existe probablement des règles italiennes inconnues du français et de l'espagnol — notamment la formation du pluriel des substantifs, comme le soulignait Tiffany.

Drujnik : « There is a Francophone university called Galatasaray University in Turkey.It belongs to both France and Turkey.Do you know it anyway? »
Quelques liens sur Galatasaray :
http://www.ambafrance-tr.org/article.php3?id_article=446
http://www.gsu.edu.tr/fr
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A9_Galatasaray