Which one is more difficult?

Anna   Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 pm GMT
Why do u all find german so hard???? it is a piece of kuchen. I learnt it at the same time as french but am much more advaced in german

English
German
Spanish
Italian
French

Easiest to hardest
Cro Magnon   Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:44 pm GMT
I don't consider Spanish easy. All those verb conjugations are a major pain. I don't know much about French or Italian, but I'd guess that they'd be similar, since they're all Romance languages.

I've always thought English was so easy a child could learn it. ;) But I'll admit, the spelling and pronounciation can even give native speakers headaches.

I know less about German than I do about Spanish, but I think the genders are harder to get straight. At least in Spanish, you can often tell the gender by the word ending.
User   Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:00 am GMT
>>
I know less about German than I do about Spanish, but I think the genders are harder to get straight. At least in Spanish, you can often tell the gender by the word ending. <<

Don't bother with the genders in German. Just learn a dialect where they don't distinguish between them. I just learned Plattdeutsch, and it's much easier than High German, and just as useful. Why bother to learn the High German variety, when you can learn an easier dialect?
Kalo   Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:42 am GMT
Hi! My name is Carlos and i´m from Argentina. I´m a native spanish speaker but as you can see i can manage very well with english. I can also speak a little bit of french, but not too much.
I can´t give you my opinion because i know nothing about Italian and German.
Sorry if i have some grammar mistakes, i´m still learning English.
Guest   Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 am GMT
Well, that is an interesting point: everybody think that English is easy, but we are biased. We study this language as first foreign language at school or as mother tongue. So, we think that this language is easiest that other languages but that is not true. We need to study a word twice: written and pronounced: "language" and "lenwich".

The pronunciation is very important, but also the genders, the verb system and all other grammar points. My list:

1. English. The easiest but also difficult.

2. Spanish. The easiest Romance language

3. French and Italian

2. German. I find it very difficult. Only the 3 genders are very difficult to me.
Rodrigo   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm GMT
I'm a native Spanish speaker and I've been studying at a British school for over 10 years. I can understand French and use very simple sentences and I understand Italian fairly well. I think English is the easiest at first, making simple sentences is very easy BUT I have a hard time when writing more complex sentences. It may be that my writing style and English are like water and oil, but still I hink complex sentences are much harder in English. I've been studying a bit of French but I hve to say that with a 1 hour introduction by my dad and 2 weeks in Italy I understood most and was about to speak some sentences on m own, but in France it was a different story. I understood very little spoken language and I was not able to copy the sentences I heard. I have never studied German, all I have read is Easy German and when I read the supplement on simple grammar the letters jumped out of the page and started dancing, I think I only understood what page I was reading.
Guest   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
Asi que todos estamos de acuerdo que el español es el mas sencillo de aprender. XD
K. T.   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 pm GMT
It's important to listen to different dialects and ordinary speakers of all ages. Listen, listen, listen. French politicians usually speak very clearly even if what they say may not be as interesting to foreigners as it is to French people.

Jacques Chirac speaks so clearly a high school student in Iowa studying French could take dictation from him, I think.

There are people who "mumble" in French just like in Spanish or English, so don't feel bad if you don't understand everyone at first.
Guest   Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
il fatto è che molto spesso gli spagnoli prendono fischi per fiaschi :-)
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:27 am GMT
<<Asi que todos estamos de acuerdo que el español es el mas sencillo de aprender. XD >>

Not hardly. My ordering, from simplest to hardest:

English (simplest of these by far)
Spanish
French
Italian (guess)
German (also a guess -- "English on steroids")
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 am GMT
When people in the US learn to spell their own states correctly, then we'll talk about English being "easy"
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:07 am GMT
Funny.
Fleur-du-Mal   Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:12 am GMT
Italian
English
Spanish
German.

French is my native language (I'm belgian), so I don't need to write it. I'm learning the Roman Languages at the University. I read some texts in old french and Italian, it's funny.

For the Roman languages, if you can learn Latin and Ancient Greek, it will help you. For German too : not for the vocabulary, but for the declinations.

And in the north of Belgium, they speak Dutch (in the south french), and i learned it at school. I hate this language. It's a "german bastard" (yes, yes, i'm really bad in English)
Xie   Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 am GMT
What I say must going to be subjective, but here are my $.02:

I only know a lot of English and a bit of German, and I actually find German to be easier, even though it is not without difficulties (mentioned above). My point is: German spelling is much easier, and its grammar more consistent. In the long run, of course, both are equally easy and difficult, like others.

English is worth a lot of debates, because it's become so special for many of us. It's the most learnt language, and yet its spelling, especially for the more frequently used words, is terrible because of countless inconsistencies. While its popularity reduces its difficulty substantially, <<I>> find it difficult to get used to different varieties of English of native speakers and ESL learners. While I can distinguish native accents to some extent, native speakers are simply outnumbered by millions of ESL learners, many of whom I would meet in my life speaking terrible English. There is so much confusion about the language not non-native speakers, since people make millions of mistakes every day, and thus the language is changing terribly quickly...
German vocabularies are t   Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 am GMT
OK! Let's not to mention the difficulty on terrible syntax, when it comes to the length of German vocabularies, it would be fearful enough for those learners who have been learning English, French, Spanish, or even Italian, just because they've never had to learn such lengthy, unsmooth and stuffy vocabularies, especially throughout the technologic and scientific articles.