English with a Chinese accent

Guest   Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:54 am GMT
So nowadays, many people have been to China and hear the Chinese people speak English. It is considered to some that the Chinese accent is one of the easy-to-understand one. Let's talk about the Chinese accent.
Robin   Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
Nobody else seems to want to talk about the Chinese accent.

Repeat after me: Fried Rice.

Mine is a Number 47
Cow   Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:49 am GMT
>> It is considered to some that the Chinese accent is one of the easy-to-understand one. <<
Umm. The only accent that is more difficult to understand than a Chinese accent is the Indian accent.
Boy   Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:01 am GMT
Lol@cow. I have the same sentiments. I have heard many chinese speakers speaking English on TV and I could not understand them a bit except the chinese ambassador to the UNO. He is the only chinese person that I understood without problems. I also could not understand Japanese people. I have talked with a bunch of them on skype. They say that they have been learning the language for 10 years or so, and you know the kind of fluency they demonstrate, I'd get it after a two month of study of the language. No offence to them but that's what my first impression is. I come from indian sub-continent so my accent is impossible to understand that is what I got the impression after talking to a few Americans. I talked to a couple of canadians and my conversation with them went smoothly and they did not say sentences like :pardon me, what did you say?, I cant understand you, which were a norm with the Americans. So, cow, you are 100% right there. Our accents can be a pain in the ass after chinese.

For me understanding an indian accent is not difficult no matter how bad it is in form, I get it because indians/pakistanis share the same language when it comes to spoken. My ears are tuned to indian accents so to speak.

I do not mind if people dont understand me. Learning English has enabled me to gain a great deal of info passively so I am satisfied myself.
LMAO   Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 am GMT
>> Repeat after me: Fried Rice. <<
Ha ha ha!
Foh-giv-uh-ness, pree-suh!
Guest   Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:21 am GMT
Flied lice
All right!   Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:28 pm GMT
Arr light!
Wong Fei Hang   Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
How come you ton't understand chinese english ah? we speak english ah, very very easy one! i mean easy to understand one! haaiyaa believe me! if you talk to us several times ah, you sure can grasp our english one! Trust me Kway Low!
Guest   Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:31 pm GMT
>> How come you ton't understand chinese english ah? we speak english ah, very very easy one! i mean easy to understand one! haaiyaa believe me! if you talk to us several times ah, you sure can grasp our english one! Trust me Kway Low! <<

You guys add too many weird words to the end of your sentences that you invent that we don't use or understand in real English-speaking countries such as "ah" or "haaiyaa" or "kway low".
Guest 2   Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:46 pm GMT
You moh tuck teng one lah, Wong Fei Hang. Your English sure easy to understand one, your English standard damn powerful!!
CantoGuy   Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 am GMT
From my experience, the only thing worse than a Cantonese accent is a Japanese accent.
Chun-Li   Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
<<your English standard damn powerful!! >>

Now that's a "Chinese sarcasm" ! In case you "Kway Low" didn't know. LOL!
bfeng   Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:41 am GMT
note to 'kway low', was a cantonese expression of foreigners. means 'foreign devil', from the old time when first crowd of caucasians came to the country showing a complete different (somewhat devil-ish) look to locals.
guest583958954093   Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
u all r a bunch of idiots
Wong Fei Hang   Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:46 pm GMT
<< note to 'kway low', was a cantonese expression of foreigners. means 'foreign devil', from the old time when first crowd of caucasians came to the country showing a complete different (somewhat devil-ish) look to locals. >>

Aiyoo!! Don't get me wrong ah! When I said "Kway Low" I did not mean to be having any hostile or unfriendly feelings towards any Caucasions. Even nowadays ah, this term is often used by many but the users do not have bad intentions for using it.

So, if using "Kway Low" has offended anybody here, let me apologize ah. Sorry loh.