English with a Chinese accent

Guest   Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
I'm sorry, Wong Fei Hang, but I can really understand only half of what you are saying...And, just curious, why do you say "ah" all the time...? It's as confusing to read as a Californian who says "like" every other word.
Q   Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:14 pm GMT
I think it's a peculiar Chinese habit to insert nonsensical syllables in English. I've seen other Chinese people do it. They think it's real English, I reckon.
Ah Sook   Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:40 pm GMT
Aiyaa what so noisy noisy one? don't be like that lah
james   Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
Hey sook i bet youre from singapore.
Annoyed   Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
>> Aiyoo!! Don't get me wrong ***ah***! When I said "***Kway Low***" I did not mean to be having any hostile or unfriendly feelings towards any Caucasions. Even nowadays ***ah***, this term is often used by many but the users do not have bad intentions for using it.

So, if using "Kway Low" has offended anybody here, let me apologize ***ah***. Sorry ***loh***. <<

I really don't understand why the Chinese think they have a right to mangle our language. If you want to speak English, speak *English* for Pete's sake! Don't add some idiotic sounding words that don't exist in English, and pass it off as English. English isn't some sort of Chinese pidgin language. If you're learning English, fine, learn how to speak proper English. It certainly does not give you the right to modify and corrupt it. In Britain, Ireland, North America, Australia, New Zealand, and most likely South Africa too, we do not add "aiyoo", or "ah" or "kway low" or "loh'. They are completetly meaningless syllables in English, and certainly you should know better. Even if you actually talk like that---which is incorrect anyway---and you're not a native speaker, so yes you can make mistakes, you should not add it to formal written English. This isn't AOL instant messenger, you know. And it doesn't belong there either, especially if you are speaking to somewhere outside of Singapore or where ever you're from, because no one can understand it! Ay ay ay ay yay. Oh la la la low kway oh shing jing. It looks suspiciously similar to Singlish's "Discourse particles"
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlish#Discourse_particles

>> noisy noisy <<
Please don't use reduplication in English. It's hideous la loh oh la la.
Calliope   Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
I always find it hilarious how some native English speakers consider it everyone else's obligation to speak English *perfectly*, when themselves don't even try to learn other languages.

I repeat, *some* native English speakers, I am not generalising...

Now, feel free to correct my English and to sigh in despair for yet another foreigner corrupting your fine language...
Pulchritudinous.   Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:35 am GMT
you know what? Screw all those people who are associating cantonese accents with chinese accents in general. because mandarin accents are a hell of a lot easier to understand and it's only the canto dudes that add the retarded words and try to pass it off as english.

and this is to the "Annoyed" dude. Mangle in our language? The hell do you think you are? Some type of english god? lmao, I'm a native english speaker, and i don't give crap how chinese people speak. you don't own freaking english, so shut up and just go screw off and screw your opinion and screw yourself. and if you tried speaking any chinese, i would laugh and snort at you because you're corrupting the freaking chinese language with your ugly shit-filled attempts. i'm bored, so i'm gonna keep bitching at whoever "Annoyed" is.

and to whoever "Q" is. holy shit. holy moly shit. how many times would i need to repeat it to get it into your thick shitty shitty shit shit head? don't generalize cantonese habits with all chinese people in general. and what the hell, don't you 'reckon' without anything to back it up, so shut up and just go screw off and screw your opinion and screw yourself. oh, but i'm not as pissed at "Q" as i am at "Annoyed" because "Annoyed" thinks unless you can speak it 'properly' (whatever the hell "Annoyed"'s standards for 'properly' are), you have no right to speak it. so shut up and go bitch off about accents some other place. because i'm just gonna bitch right back at you. retard.
Liz   Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
>> noisy noisy <<
<<Please don't use reduplication in English. It's hideous la loh oh la la.>>

It's typical of Singlish, too. Not necessarily hilarious, it DOES have a specific function in pidgin and creole languages. Reduplication means "very", "extremely", "immensely" and so on in those languages.
Liz   Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
Pulchritudinous,

I agree with you on the whole, but you seem to overindulge in certain words and expressions (screw, shit), which makes your style slightly dull. Besides, your punctuation is rubbish, not to mention your lower-case "I"-s. :-))

It's not negative criticism on my part, anyway...just a remark. :-))
Sorry, I'm feeling a little testy at the moment.
ah sook   Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:31 am GMT
why u all people so fussy one ah? there are many different english in the world mah. Nevermind lah! sorry loh heng tai! later i spend you drink chinese tea so delicious one and dim sum also ok! u come to my coffee shop and we kin kai and yum cha!
Engrish   Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:37 am GMT
To Annoyed and Pulchritudinous

I think you English native-speakers are losing the control of your language, ah. People will keep mangling your language and I'll be happy for that. This is Grobal Engrish, baby, lah.
Annoyed   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:11 pm GMT
>> why u all people so fussy one ah? <<

I really don't know. It just bothers me to see people learn English, and then twist it to suit their own purposes. If you want to communicate in English, why not learn a real dialect that people can understand? Do you really think that native English speakers would understand if you spoke to them in that mess? Why invent silly "code words" like "ah" and tag them on the end of your sentences? I thought the purpose of learning English was to be able to communicate with other English speakers? How would you like it if I took your native language, and modified it to fit my own needs--making it almost completely unintelligible to you? Wouldn't you think that rather odd?

>> I think you English native-speakers are losing the control of your language, ah. <<

I don't think so. If you actually visited a real English speaking country and wanted to be able to communicate, you would be straighted out rather quickly. You would never be able to get away with speaking pidgin English. If you tried to hand in a paper to a teacher, it would most likely be returned ungraded. If you applied for a job in pidgin English, you would most definitely be turned down. By not even making an effort to learn real English, you would never make it in an Anglosphere country.
Engrish   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:14 pm GMT
To annoyed

I not need English in my job. I earn more money than many people who learn English, hahahahha
Calliope   Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:55 pm GMT
Is it just me, or do half of the "engrish" posts here smell like trolling..?
User   Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
> >I not need English in my job. I earn more money than many people who learn English, hahahahha <<

That may well be, but the point is, why are you even bothering to learn English if you have no intention of making even a small effort to speak it properly?