Attitude on SLAVIC LANGUAGES

Victor Cordero   Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:50 am GMT
ami si me da la gana puedo poner lo que sea en castellano. Si el reglamento dice que todo tiene que estar en ingles, no lo seguire porque no me da la gana. vuelvo a repetir no seguire ninguna regla.

Sobre estas lenguitas slavic, no se que le ven de bonito. he oido todos estos idiomas. puedo decir que el mejorsito es el russian. por favor no comparen slavic y latin, si latin es mil veces mejor.

ahora estos criticando e insultando los latinos americanos es una muestra de envidia sobre nuestra lengua.

Que viva el Espanol/Castellano y otras lenguas hermanas
EHTEJSTHERC TOEU   Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:39 am GMT
THE TERM "SLAVIC" REALLY SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM, THEY SHOULD CHANGE THE TERM INTO SOMETHING LIKE ROMANIC OR LATINIC , MAYBE PEOPLE WILL GET ATTRACTIVE TO IT
greg   Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:47 am GMT
Dzień dobry, Darek !

Ceux qui prétendent décréter l'infériorité de la langue X ou la supériorité de la famille linguistique Y sont des ignorants, bien sûr. Wenn es nach mir ginge, würde ich Polnisch — eine slawische Sprache par excellence — befördern, denn ich mag seinen Klang und seine Schreibweise so sehr. Eppure non posso parlare il polacco poiché non lo ho studiato e non sono andato mai in Polonia. En cuanto ¿ Por qué reducir las lenguas románicas a un puñado de imbéciles que son o — más seguramente — fingen ser « Latinos » ?

Do zobaczenia wkrótce i przepraszam, na prawie nie piszę ani słowa polskiego !
NO NO NO NOO   Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
Brennus is not offended i don't think he is. he's a nice guy.

I don't like slavic languages. They do sound ugly, sorry if this offends anyone in the forum. each of us has the right to like and dislike, but not to offend others. Calliope, let Brennus fix this, if he can. he seems to be the authority here.

SLAVIC
LATIN
GERMANIC
OTHERS
ARE EQUAL IN MY VIEW. ALTHOUGH THE SOUND OF SLAVIC VARIES FROM LANGUAGE TO LANGUAGE.

why write each time spam? it's stupid people don't follow it, any psychologist will tell you that, it is just reinforcing these kinds of attitudes even more
JakubikF   Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
If the discuss is so hot I must post my opinion. I am Pole, I speak Polish. I love my language. I am happy that I learn it at school, that I get to know my culture and literature written in my mother tongue. Nevertheless it doesn't make me the racist or the nationalist. I think every language deserves for respect. I learn English, German and Russian. I have my own opinion about these languages e.g. I find German a little bit harsh and the grammar is difficult to use in speaking. English has a fewer possibilities to express the same thought (it would be possible in Polish). Nevertheless I love listening to German or English. I also admire people who speak totally foreign languages for me like Italian, Spanish, French. Non of those language don't seem to be backward.

<< these languages are probably going to extinc because everyone else will keep continuing learning spanish,french,english ect, and this languages are going to continue to grow and slavic languages will keep shrinking when compared. >>

What is more... I don't think that Polish can really extinct. We Poles and our language survived 121 years of partitions. For 121 years our country didn't exist and was divided by three superpowers. We survived Germanization and Russianization. People weren't able to learn Polish at school. Teachers risked their life to teach young people underground. The same with other slavic nations:
Czechs who were under German influance for ages, the Balkans' nations who resisted Turkey etc. etc.
Arthur   Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
Hi Darek,

My mother tongue is Spanish, and I am Latinamerican. I will take for granted that you are not generalizing in blaming all Latinamericans who participate in this forum for the negative opinion on Slavic languages, even if there is a sad tendency for these languages to be criticized by mostly Latinamericans (together with other Romance language speakers).

This been said, I will try to express a more general point of view, from a Spanish speaker perspective, especially from Latinamerica, where Spanish pronountiation is a bit softer than in Spain.

Now, some facts:
1) Spanish vowel system, even if quite simple in comparison with English, plays a heavy role in the construction of the words and the vowels are always clear and open (this doesn't make Spanish more beautiful, don't get me wrong)
2) Spanish doesn't use many fricatives and or affricates
3) Spanish tends to avoid complex consonant clusters

So, to Spanish speakers ears, the first impression of Slavic languages, generally speaking, is rather that of a riddle, much of whisper sounds and lacking of vowels (I am not stating here that they do lack vowels at all) and the impression that they are much more difficult to encrypt phonetically than say, English or even German, the load of vowels of which is quite strong by the way, soon suppressing a bit the cliché of this language being "harsh", if you listen to it for a given period of time.

On the other hand, the exposure to this language family in Latinamerica is rather small compared to the exposure to other language families.

In my opinion, there is a wrong conception of these languages being ugly, on one hand because we are full of clichés about them, but on the other hand because their sounds appear more difficult to imitate correctly at a first sight (I should say at a first listen) than other European languages. Slavic articulation is more difficult for us.

I think this is the process by which Spanish speaking people tend to express a (yes: wrong and precipitated) negative judgement on how Slavic languages sound.

In my personal opinion, even if I am more accustomed to learning and using and listening Germanic and Romance languages, I have a lot of respect to Slavic languages, which I think to have a great power of expression, and once you get used to the different sounds, they have a pleasant and rich phonetics, including rythm and melody. Polish and Czech are the languages which I have had most contact with, and this contact has only reinforced my opinion on them. I am very curious about Bulgarian, because I have barely listened it once or twice in my life, so perhaps I will lool for some audiofiles in internet.

For me, learning any of them would be quite of a challenge, and I shame on all of those who use wrong and dumb adjectives like "inferior", "awful", etc.....
JakubikF   Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 am GMT
I've noticed my little mistake... Poland was 123 years under foreign occupation.
a.p.a.m.   Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:31 pm GMT
Slavic languages interest me. They're mysterious. Maybe it's because the Slavic nations and Eastern Europe are a mystery to me. That part of the world has been, for decades, living behind a Soviet iron curtain, and because of that, there's a certain unknown about these particular countries. Whenever the press mentions Europe, it's always either Great Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, or Scandinvia. Eastern Europe doesn't get a fair shake.
Linguist   Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm GMT
Slavic languages are the most ancient among other European languages (Germanic, Latin), they have features which existed in Proto-Indo-European language for example (like verb aspect and complicated case system), also Slavic languages share vocabulary with Sanskrit much more then any others, also Russian and Sanskrit have the same syllable system and share one unique sound (it doesn't exist anywhere else, possibly Polish S' is somewhat close to it, I mean soft SH).
Baltic languages are even more archaic, all this said, that our European roots should be found in East, i.e. more points for Balto-Slavic languages :D
JR   Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 pm GMT
"slavic, no se que le ven de bonito. he oido todos estos idiomas. puedo decir que el mejorsito es el russian"

Para alguien que pretende ser un defensor de la lengua Española te falta mucho por andar si crees que el uso de las palabras 'Slavic' y 'Russian' te ganarán respeto.
Abdo   Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:26 pm GMT
Good evening people here(dobraye viecher) :
I am egyptian speaking a semitic language which is Arabic.
However i a adore a gorup called Slavic languages (Czeck,Slovakian,Polish,Yugoslavian,RUSSIAN,Beylorussian,Bulgarian and Ukrainian)i know that yugoslavia now is divided into 6 countries. But i want to ask you Slavic peoples about something please which is
DOES REALLY THE WORD SLAVIC MEANS GLORY IN ENGLISH OR IT HAS ANOTHER MEANING????
WAITING UR ANSWER
Linguist   Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 pm GMT
Slavic means "slavic" in English and that's all, I guess you wanted to ask what it means in original slavic languages? ;)

СЛАВА SLAVA=glory at least in Russian, so your assumption is trrue :)
Pelasgus   Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:17 pm GMT
Both Spanish and Slavic languages are wonderful

For those,who consider slavic as ugly,you can see the eurovision contest,
apart the anglophone ones,the best songs are slavic.

Željko Joksimović rocks!...
================================================
A malicious example of false etymology was the derivation of Slav from slave, which was used by the Nazis as a pseudo-linguistic justification for some of their atrocities against Slavs.

Slav Look up Slav at Dictionary.com
1387, Sclave, from M.L. Sclavus (c.800), from Byzantine Gk. Sklabos (c.580), from O.Slav. Sloveninu "a Slav," probably related to slovo "word, speech," which suggests the name originally meant member of a speech community (cf. O.C.S. Nemici "Germans," related to nemu "dumb;" and cf. O.E. þeode, which meant both "race" and "language"). Identical with the -slav in personal names (e.g. Rus. Miroslav, lit. "peaceful fame;" Mstislav, lit. "vengeful fame;" Jaroslav, lit. "famed for fury;" Czech Bohuslav, lit. "God's glory;" and cf. Wenceslas). Spelled Slave c.1788-1866, infl. by Fr. and Ger. Slave. Adj. Slavic is attested from 1813; earlier Slavonic (c.1645), from Slavonia, a region of Croatia.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Slav
JGreco   Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
I am Latin American and a native English speaker (I also speak Br.Portuguese and Spanish). I do not think the Slavic languages are ugly and I think that the ignorance and overtones of racism on each side needs to be quelled and any statements that are overly like that and with less of a linguistic overtone should be deleted. The Slavic languages that fascenate me mainly are Croatian (it almost sounds like Italian to me) and Bulgarian which from what I have heard is a very beautiful language. I think the moderator needs to review some of the statements that are way out of context in this forum.
Lazaris   Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:02 am GMT
This is such an interesting topic...wow...