If EU has to adopt an official language in the futur, which?

Ikasi   Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
If the European Union become independant, and EU has to adopt an official language which?
Ion   Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:02 pm GMT
Chinese!
SpookyET   Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:03 pm GMT
All legal languages of the member countries are OFFICIAL.
viri teaoro   Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:49 pm GMT
My options:

Living language - romansch

Dead language - simplified latin or ancient greek

Artificial language - Esperanto
Guest   Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:06 pm GMT
Ikasi, "if the European Union become independant" was a very poetic choice of words. I have to congratulate you. You want that the European Union becomes independent because it is a colony of the Martians that invaded Europe and are imposing the martian language to the people. Free Europe.
JR   Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:00 am GMT
He's (She?) obviously not a native English speaker, or maybe he's a young'un.

I don't think that the EU would ever adopt a single official language if it ever became 'independent'. There's too much cultural heritage attatched to too many languages in that continent to choose just one.
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 am GMT
Yes, the whole point of the EU must be to develop a united Europe where linguistical diversity. Already there is way too much English, I think!
Ikasi   Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 pm GMT
I don't think all europeans shall learn 20 official languages of the EU without counting the 100 regional and traditional languages as the Basque, the Scot, the Sardinian, the frisian...
If the EU goes farther and is going to unify, to see becoming a state as the USA, of what I think and wish (I am European!!) it will be necessary to adopt a "national" language, I think of English there because it is the language the most learnt in Europe, but it's not also on bus the "anti-European" attitude of the United Kingdom could change gives it, why not German the language the most spoken in Europe, or still to create a new language such the esperanto, or to make resuscitate one as the Latin?
Julien   Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:47 am GMT
Well, in my opinion either French or German or Italian could be the ideal official language of the EU because, after English, they are the most spoken languages in the EU. But if I were to choose one I'd say French because there seems to be a huge amount of people in Europe capable to speak French. Besides, it is a very refined language. Finally, let's mention the fact that French was the lingua Franca of Europe until the XVIII century.
Eric   Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:47 pm GMT
"If the European Union become independant"

I beg your pardon? Who is the Supreme Ruler who took over Europe without me knowing?

"and EU has to adopt an official language"

It will never have to. It works perfectly as it is.
Calliope   Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:22 pm GMT
It is not that simple. The EU is a mixture not just of different languages, but of different cultures. That's why and esperanto can't work. We are not trying to be one single nation, because it simply can't happen. There is too much diversity for that, national identities are well defined and strong and there are long histories behind them to support them. I sure hope no EU nation is ever asked to give up on its culture. We will never be one nation, and I don't see why we should. We can be united without losing our separate identities.
Ikasi   Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
I wouldn't like to disapear european languages (i speak basque, and it isn't a official language of EU, few people speak this tongue unique separated by the franco-spanish border), but i think us europeans, we can't continue to evolve separatly i hope we live all united, most powerful, most influencial, most independent too...(i don't give much my opinion...I goes out of the subject), For that one understands oneself all of the portugal to finland, I think that it's necessary to adopt a common language or vehiculaire [lingua franca] (not necessarily that would destroy the languages), the English for my party in this moment to tendency (as everywhere) to take this place, and I find that unfair...
Riech   Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:16 pm GMT
So much money for translation. :(
Europa is a german unifying conception.German is the most spoken language in European Union :)
Calliope   Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:48 pm GMT
"German is the most spoken language in European Union :)"

Funny; when you apply for the European Union, they ask that you absolutely know English, and either French or German (plus your native language).

Δεν ξέρω τί να γράψω τώρα.
Guest   Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:26 am GMT
I think the most practical way for a single unified language to appear would involve several steps over a couple of centuries.

First, begin by blending regional dialects into a greater official language, like Galician into Spanish or Portugese; Macedonian into Serbo-Croatian, etc.

Next, focus on blending contiguous Language Areas together, like Portuguse and Spanish into Iberian; and Dutch and German into Central-European, etc.

Continue this process of assimilation>blending>elimination until you get down to about three main groups: probably representing Pan-Romance, Pan-Germanic and Pan-Slavic languages.
You can stop there, or go further, blending those three groups.

This process will allow people to gradually loosen strong ties to their own particular language and culture, a definite impasse to any hope of unification.