French vs German vs Spanish? Difficulty & Usefulness?

Alex   Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:54 am GMT
Ok so I speak German and English fluently. Number One, German is not easy and it DOES require skill to speak it properly. Secondly, Germans will appreciate you a lot more if you try to speak their language. So for all you people here who think you can go to Germany and speak english the whole time.... wake up. I will agree Spanish is very useful, but in a business sense, German is the way to go. German is a great language to learn and if you ever go to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, (although swiss german is very different) Luxembourg, or Leichtenstein, you will have a very nice time. Someone wrote on here that German is the number one heritage in America. It is true and if you are like me, you take pride in this. Also if you look at the internet, you will find German is the number 2 language online next to english. This is for a reason people... Thanks for reading. Viel Glueck!
Alex   Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:01 am GMT
Ok so I know I wrote about German before, but I need to clear something up. German is not the "best" language and neither is French or spanish. I just personally like it. What you need to ask yourself is where do I want to be? If you like Europe then German. If you love the Caribbean or South America, then go with Spanish or a French. Its funny actually because I love the Caribbean and most of my friends are Puerto Rican or Dominican or from central America somewhere. The one major thing I see with spanish that is really annoying, is the fact its all different! Mexicans talk different than Puerto Ricans etc. So if you learn the Traditional Castillian.... you're in for a rude awakening.

But anyways, German is fun and if you are into your heritage like me, then you will like talking to the people who are living in the place of your ancestors.
Guest   Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:34 am GMT
Alex

You're right!
Gallophile   Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:22 am GMT
Antonio Banderas,

Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia are not native speakers of French but near native as in Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa..

The real native speakers aside from France are in Parts of Canada, Belgium(Wallonie), Switzerland(Romandie), Southern Lousiana, Upper New England states, Upper New York, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Mauritius, French Guiana, and the other DOM-TOM.
chris   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 pm GMT
Hi, i'm from Italy, currently learning english (5 years), german (3 years), and spanish (3 years). Before I chose spanish, I have learned french for nearly 2 years.

My opinion in aspect "difficulty":
Spanish is easy to speak out, but the grammar is not that easy! You'll have to learn much, because the times and verbs are very differently.
French is - in my opinion - horrible ! :D I dislike the language, the grammar and expression is difficult, much to learn, nothing for me...
German is much better! German isn't that easy too, but the rules are easy to learn and you wont need so long to understand the "style" of the language. Then, it is really fun.

My opinion in aspect "use of the language":
I think spanish is becoming the new 2nd global language. But i think the importance of german is increasing, too. In my life i had to use german many times, in opposite to french. As far as i know french speakers are getting less.

My experience:
I prefer german. German is a very interesting language, you'll need to learn, but that is something, what you'll have to do anyway. It'll be very helpful to speak german, when you are working in economy/business or technology.
Otherwise choose italian =)

I hope my english is OK, give me feedback! :D
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
"chris", come si fa che il tuo nome si sciva con un "ch" e non solo un "c"...
Antonio Banderas   Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 pm GMT
Other interesting comparison:

English: important in North America, European Union, Africa, Asia-Oceania: 4 continents.

Spanish: important in North America (USA and Mexico), Latin America, and European Union. 3 continents.

French: important in European Union, and Africa. 2 continents.

German: important in European Union. 1 continent.
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
Other interesting comparison:

English: important in North America, European Union, Africa, Asia-Oceania: 4 continents.

Spanish: important in North America (USA and Mexico), Latin America, and European Union. 3 continents.

French: important in European Union, and Africa. 2 continents.

German: important in European Union. 1 continent.

Portuguese: important in South America, Africa, Asia and European Union. 4 continents
chris   Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
well, but if you wont go to another continent than europe, this comparison is unimportant and i think he said that just Europe is important for him.

@Guest: Chris because my parents are from England. ;)
Guest   Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:23 am GMT
Antonio Banderas,

Spanish is not that important in Europe. The working languages in Europe are English , French, and German. Spanish plays a less important role in Europe than Italian, Polish, Dutch, and even Swedish, So that makes Spanish important in just 2 continents, North and South America only.

Just like the status of French in North America because it is only spoken in parts of Canada with barely 10 million poeople and in tiny isalnds in Caribean and French Guiana in South America.
Antonio Banderas   Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:12 pm GMT
It depends on the point of view you have.

For instance, the minimum to consider if a language is important or not in a continent or economic organization it is 10% of speakers .

Spanish in European Union is spoken by 60-70 million people (taking in account first and second language speakers) according to Eurobaromether survey). So, it is spoken by 14-15% of Europeans.

So, if you take in account this 10% of speakers, I am right about Spanish. Perhaps, English and French in Africa are less spoken than this 10%. This is my doubt.

The globalization means that we need languages spoken in several continents or economic organizations. Well, that´s my opinion only.
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:39 am GMT
<<Spanish in European Union is spoken by 60-70 million people (taking in account first and second language speakers) according to Eurobaromether survey). So, it is spoken by 14-15% of Europeans.>>

Just add the total number of Spanish Population and then 10% of the population of France and UK and Portugal. Wel it is dwarfed by the total number of speakers of English, French, German, and Russian.

<<Perhaps, English and French in Africa are less spoken than this 10%. This is my doubt. >>

They're the language used in African countries in government, business education, braodcasting and in all formal settings.

English and French are the most widely used languages in most international organizations.
Guest   Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
<<Portuguese: important in South America, Africa, Asia and European Union. 4 continents >>

???????
Important in south America Ok, but after?
In EU, only in Portugal (and also France and Spain, portuguese family origins), in Africa (Mozambique, Angola, and other little countries), and Asia, why? where? in Macao?

You can say also:

English: All over the word because it's the Universal language.

Spanish: important in North America (USA and Mexico) Preponderant in Central America, Latin America, European Union, Africa, and Asia with Philippines and other countries also Antartica (Chile, Argentina). 6 continents.

French: important in European Union, Africa (lot african countries, without counting its dominating places in Indian Ocean), Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia), North America (Canada, Louisiana), South America (Haiti, French guyana Guadeloupe, ...) and Oceania (Polynesia, New-Caledonia, Vanuatu...) also Antartica (french territories). 7 continents.

German: important in European Union, Asia (great power), North-South America (german origins), 4 continent.
rabyte   Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:30 am GMT
@chris
and I always thought that spanish is very easy for italians. after all the grammar is more or less identical?!

you hit the mark: it dependes on what you want to do / where you wanna live.
oddly enough I use french more often than english! (btw I'm from germany).
it's really true that english is not spoken very widely (geographically) - only on the island :))
an when I visit a neighboring country, I try to speak the national language (not english).
of course many people (esp. young people) do speak english, but don't think you could walk around with absolutely no problems.

=> go and learn as much languages as you can :D

greedz
michael   Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
@Anselm

You wrote:

>> I would most likely want to work in Europe, or at least be able to
>> communicate with the people while there.

Simply learn the language of the region where you want to work!

- French, if you want to work in: France, Belgium, the western part of Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco

- Spanish, if you want to work in: Spain

- German covers by far the biggest area of all 3 languages: official language of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, it is also spoken in many parts of the bordering countries like Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Eastern France, Northern Italy (Südtirol) and (together with English) an important language in all of Eastern Europe (more useful than Russian)