French vs German vs Spanish? Difficulty & Usefulness?

Visiteur   Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:49 am GMT
<<French is official in 28 countries, but it is the most spoken language in only 2 countries: France and Monaco. In Canada the most spoken language is English, in Switzerland is German and in Belgium is Dutch (perhaps people that write these Francophone reports are ignorant, Guest, but I do not think so, and they write percentages)

The same with English. It is official in a lot of poor countries, like Uganda or Kenia. It is the most spoken language in only 8 countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Trinidad, Jamaica, Australia and N. Zealand. Ifrance in n all other countries is second language (some 50 countries) >>

If that's the case then Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia, and Guatemala hate to be excluded since Spanish is minority in those countries and native languages have more speakers. Chile, Cuba, Venezuela, and Puerto Rico too must be excluded because there two forms of Spanish is spoken, Castellano and the local form of Spanish.

And for that guy who said that Spain has more contribution than France in science, arts, literature and so on, all I can say to him is either that he cannot accept the reality or maybe his not aware of waht is true.
From Spain   Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
My dear ignorant visiteur:

You can also exclude Spain since the Spanish constitution says that Castellano is the official Spanish language of Spain.

Castellano, you ignorant twit, is the traditional name given to Spanish, in Spain and all over the world, since the language was originally spoken in the Kingdom of Castille.

Since there are other "Spanish" languages in Spain (Catalan, Galician, Basque) the Spanish Constitution (1978) states which Spanish language is official in all the state since the others are co-official in the areas where they are spoken.
From Spain   Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
My dear ignorant visiteur:

You can also exclude Spain since the Spanish constitution says that Castellano is the official Spanish language of Spain.

Castellano, you ignorant twit, is the traditional name given to Spanish, in Spain and all over the world, since the language was originally spoken in the Kingdom of Castille.

Since there are other "Spanish" languages in Spain (Catalan, Galician, Basque) the Spanish Constitution (1978) states which Spanish language is official in all the state since the others are co-official in the areas where they are spoken.
-   Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 pm GMT
Isnt it easy to learn spanish or french once you know either one since both are quite similar? So why cant people just be bilingual in both and stop the never ending discussion? I think that the main focus should be on german vs french/spanish since there is so much difference between them. It would not be easy for people to master both german and french/spanish at the same time. So the real choice is between german vs french/spanish in my opinion, what do the rest of you think?
Latin   Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Wow, you guys are on denial. Anyway, Peru speaks Spanish, I'm from there. Only like two million people speak Quechua, same with Bolivia (where Aymara is spoken). Quechua is sadly dying out.

Anyway, Spanish IS taking over the US. Unlike other immigrant waves in the past, this one has settled keeping its customs. For the first time, immigrants have TV channels and radio stations. In fact, the fifth largest TV network in the US is Hispanic. There are 12 major TV networks (the ones that go from "coast to coast"), and 4 of them are Hispanic (Telefutura, Azteca America, Telemundo and Univision). I almost forgot, in certain counties in the southern states, about 99% of the population is Hispanic and they're the majority in many other counties. Also, Hispanics are the largest growing ethnic group, they already surpassed the other historically "largest minority", the "Blacks". Also, many documents from the government are submitted in Spanish now and even the White House's site is available in Spanish. So, what I'm trying to say is that you can live in the US without speaking English... It sounds amazing I know... The other day I went shopping and I only heard Spanish... I only heard one or two words in English... And I'm closer to Canada than to Mexico!
Latin   Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:48 pm GMT
Saying that most Peruvians speak Quechua is like saying that most Mexicans speak Nahuatl.
Latin   Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:51 pm GMT
"No... Hispanics haven't contributed to the World in anything... A French discovered the New World!"
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 am GMT
French people stink. That's enough reason for not to learn French.
Visiteur   Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:31 am GMT
Stop, calling me an "Ignorant", From Spain! You can all the other Hispanics from tercer mundo who don't stop bashing other linguistic group by that name, you mindless being.
Ozie   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 am GMT
<<Anyway, Spanish IS taking over the US. Unlike other immigrant waves in the past, this one has settled keeping its customs. For the first time, immigrants have TV channels and radio stations. In fact, the fifth largest TV network in the US is Hispanic. There are 12 major TV networks (the ones that go from "coast to coast"), and 4 of them are Hispanic (Telefutura, Azteca America, Telemundo and Univision). I almost forgot, in certain counties in the southern states, about 99% of the population is Hispanic and they're the majority in many other counties. Also, Hispanics are the largest growing ethnic group, they already surpassed the other historically "largest minority", the "Blacks". Also, many documents from the government are submitted in Spanish now and even the White House's site is available in Spanish. So, what I'm trying to say is that you can live in the US without speaking English... It sounds amazing I know... The other day I went shopping and I only heard Spanish... I only heard one or two words in English... And I'm closer to Canada than to Mexico! >>

This is a big lie! On the contrary English is taking over Mexico, Central America, ad Puerto Rico. English is widely spoken in those areas especially Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, and Puerto Rico. You see they speak English with precise American accent and twang. And take note that Yankees have not yet resided in those areas. More so if that happens just wait because it will really happen and we'll see whose language will give way. people from those areas envy the English speaking people because of their affluence. They are now beginning to realise that the hispanic culture is the prime factoir of their not so productive attitude which stagnates progress. They will soon discard their hispanic attitudes from their being because there's really something wrong with it. But first they have to adopt English and dump Spanish to delete that negative attitude that they gain from that culture.

We have a number of hispanic immigrants here in Oz, but as soon as they acquired the Aussie way of talking in English, they no longer speak the Spanish language but instead they became ordinary Aussie citizens. Culturally indistinguishable from the original Aussies.
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:30 am GMT
The Spanish that is spoken in Latin America is closer to Chamorro or Chavacano than to Castellano.
Guest   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 am GMT
Your mom is closer to Chamorro, she's a Chavacana.
From Spain   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:27 am GMT
Spain in the third world? What a laugh!

If the countries where Spanish is spoken in South America are are the third world (I would say second in most cases) the countries where French is spoken in Africa are the 4th at the very least. To the shame of France, of course!

And you are an ignorant twit as far as the knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world is concerned.
Latin   Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:11 am GMT
I see that you didn't get my point when I was comparing Peru to Gabon. Anyway, Gabon is one of the richest countries in Africa while Peru is the second most poor (economically speaking) country in South America. So sad for the Francophones.

Costa Rica, Chile and Argentina have incomes (per capita) around 12,000 US dollars, that's something no country in Africa can match. Also, although Mexico is poor, it's "massive", it holds a large population and all Mexico together is more economically powerful than Russia. That's also no French-speaking savage from Africa can match.
Latin   Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 am GMT
*That's also >something< no French speaking savage from Africa can match.*