The dreaded R!!!

Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
Guest wrote :

Actually Brennus was right. In some North American dialects that have the low back merger, such as the Western dialect "ah" is pronounced as [O] (like in "caught"). In my dialect this is the case. So, yes "robot" with [O] could be accurately represented as "rhobaht".

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In some NORTH AMERICAN DIALECTS

I agree with you !!!!

P.S. Brennus was telling this was the pronunciation of robot in
*GERMAN * ( not american )

Please read again :

brennus wrote :

According to the "Handbook of the International Phonetic Association", German 'r' is uvular like French. Thus a word like "Robot" sounds something like "Rho-baht." However, I believe that it is not uniformly uvular in German, only in certain dialects, mainly Bavaria.
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
In most dialects "ah" is [a] or [A], so it is inaccurate.
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
Americans want to make all the languages pronounced exactly like american. Imperialists.
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:14 pm GMT
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!! Guest :-)

In german robot is *NEVER* pronounced rho-baht.

to tell this word in german is rho-baht was ignorant, incorrect, stupid, arrogant and ridiculous.

I think that it's how the americans pronounce it. If someone say this is in some american dialects, I can believe them BUT NOT IN GERMAN, FRENCH, DUTCH, SPANISH, etc........................................ so brennus was WRONG.
Americanophile   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm GMT
Maybe in some german dialect..
Pauline   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:28 pm GMT
Americanophile Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm GMT
Maybe in some german dialect..

In a bad american accent.. LOL !!

No, a german-speaker has written that it's never rho-baht, so we can be sure. Also, it would be *very* weird because it's not typical sounding of german to have such a vowel when it's written : bot.

Also the rubbish about the r was wrong.

Brennus must be quiet when he don't know, not make it up to impress Meesh or someone other.
Jo   Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:21 pm GMT
Hi Paulien,

Ja, dat was inderdaad 'LOL'.
Heb helaas nu weinig tijd.
Tot een dezer dagen.
Succes in 2007

Jo
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:50 pm GMT
Pauline,

yes, I understood this, I just wanted to write something nice to you. I know you from the thread Brennus deleted. Even if we both have had different positions there, form a certain point of view, we have something in commen: some kind of ''mental'' problems. (I didn't want to intrude in your ''discussion'' with Sander about Dutch.) I didn't get the chance to say that in the other thread, where you also mentioned your problems. Note again, that I draw different conclusions on that kind of very negative experience.

Is it a reason to laught out loud if you're bored?

Yes, there are many inapprobriate, stupid and insulting positings here on that forum. Here, it's hardly possible to have serious discussions. Formerly, I had a nickname here, but because of this kind of postings, I prefer to only post as guest and not as frequent as several month ago.

Obviously, Brennus does understand French, gregs postings are never deleted!

Maybe Antimoon should change it's policies: If someone wants to post, it should require registration. Maybe there should also a ''Moderator alert''-button. I know a forum with all that and there aren't the problems we have here at Antimoon.

Nein, für mich gab es gar kein Fest. Weihnachten ist belastend und traurig. Für Silvester habe ich keine Pläne, sehr wahrscheinlich bleibe ich auch zuhause. Auch Dir alles Gute im neuen Jahr.

Mich ärgert es auch, daß hier so viele Sachen geschreiben werden, die einem wehtun. Ich war auch schon mal in Langcafé, habe dort auch den Deutschthread mal kurz überflogen. Ihr habt sogar mein Posting übernommen, vielen Dank dafür.

Ich verschwende bereits zuviel Zeit in diversen Foren. Ich möchte ernsthaft über Sprachen diskutieren, vielleicht ein paar Anregungen für Conlanging bekommen. Dies ist hier kaum möglich. Desweiteren ist eines meiner hauptsächlichen Anliegen, über die sogenannte ''Rechtschreibreform'' aufzuklären. Es ärgert mich, wenn Leute, die mir ansonsten intelligent erscheinen und die offensichtlich auch über ein gewisses linguistisches Hintergrundwissen verfügen, in ihren Postings die Reformschreibweisen mehr oder weniger unkritisch übernehmen. Wenn man eine Lehre aus der deutschen Geschichte des vergangenen Jahrhunderts ziehen kann, dann die, staatlichen Willkürmaßnahmen -- hier: die Rechtschreibreform -- sehr kritisch gegenüberzustehen.
Guest   Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:55 pm GMT
Pauline, note that there are different people posting as Guest! I did a posting yesterday and the one from today, 3:50pm.
billgregg   Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:06 pm GMT
A related question is: Does any other language use the English "r" sounds, either the prevocalic "r" that British and American English have in common, or the postvocalic "r" used in standard American English? European languages seem more-or-less split into trilled-r (Spanish, Italian) and uvular-r (French, German) camps. I've never read seen any other language described as having an r sound pronounced as in English.
Pauline   Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
Guest wrote :

>> Pauline,

yes, I understood this, I just wanted to write something nice to you. I know you from the thread Brennus deleted. Even if we both have had different positions there, form a certain point of view, we have something in commen: some kind of ''mental'' problems. (I didn't want to intrude in your ''discussion'' with Sander about Dutch.) I didn't get the chance to say that in the other thread, where you also mentioned your problems. Note again, that I draw different conclusions on that kind of very negative experience. <<

Thanks that you wrote something nice to me :-)

Have you the same problems exactly or similar ? What I've put on the deleted thread was the most positive, generally acceptable for normal people way to see the things I've described. Of course it's absolutly horrible and terrible having such experiences, btu I've seen some people in some circumstances worse that me because for exemple they can't anymore talk comprehensibly (guest, for sure you know to what type of the illness I refer) or their parents want that they don't live at home.

Next week it's where I must go to again (don't worry I'm not ill but it was compromis last time because I refused staying longer), and last time was 2 months ago, and I know that they don't give up try hearing my thoughts but I've a protection from it because of thinking in other languages. They don't give up but also I don't.

Mostly to become psychiatrist it's the way I can change some thigns, but I remember you put a link to an antipsychiatry website and I've read it. I think that if people who have experienced this illnesses and treatments will be doctors it would be the best (only ) possibiliyt for improve the system. It's why they wanted that I would go to a special school for dont learn nothing then you can't go to the university but Í said hundred times I will go to the athénée (like german gymnasium) and it's where I do go :-). Probably you had such people as well who wanted to prevent you and just make you to shut up and take your medicines. it's very stupid and annoying, so I can agree with you it's negative but if you tell them such things it's worse because they will be angry and forcing more medicines and spying etc.sometimes I havn't energy for all this but sometimes I have, and you don't never know when they're reading what you've written.
--------------------------------------------------

>> Is it a reason to laught out loud if you're bored? <<

Probably it isn't, sorry.Today I wasn't bored.

es tut mir richtig Leid, dass du zum Weihnachten traurig warst, und zu belastet. hast du grosse Familie, oder zu viele Leute waren bei dir ? Ich kann nicht mit viele Leute sein und deshalb dieses Jahr bin ich gar nicth zum Weihnachtsmarkt gegangen aber trotzdem war Weihnachten schön, wegen die Gedanke vom Geburt von Jesus , die schöne Dekorationen u.s.w. ich weiss nicht, ob deine Probleme hauptsächlich mit Psychose sind oder Depressionen aber ich hoffe, dass es dir schon ein bisschen besser geht.

Auch tut es mir Leid wenn ich nicht gut den Rechstchreibenreformsachen weiss. Ich lerne deutsch seit viel später als der Reform gemacht war.

Yes, Brennus can undertsnad and write quite well french. But not german or dutch. so, he can better tell people about english / french /latin that other languages.

Auf Langcafé kannst du über Sprachen reden und die Leute sind viel netter als hier, auch wissen sie viel mehr von Sprachen. Nur Sander nicht, aber er schreibt wenig zum Glück, und ist bis jetzt gar nicht auf dem deutschen Thread gewesen weil er sehr sicher nicht wilkommen dort ist, aber du schon.

Ich wünsche dir alles Gute, Ruhe und Gesundheit.

Pauline
Pauline   Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
billgregg Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:06 pm GMT

A related question is: Does any other language use the English "r" sounds, either the prevocalic "r" that British and American English have in common, or the postvocalic "r" used in standard American English? European languages seem more-or-less split into trilled-r (Spanish, Italian) and uvular-r (French, German) camps. I've never read seen any other language described as having an r sound pronounced as in English.

I think that some poeple when they're speakign dutch pronounce r like the americans.

Dutch is my first foreign language, and I knwo that mostly they have the r like in french/german and other regiosn trilled a little. In flemish the r is softly and quite longtime trilled.

The american style r is a recent phenomenon I was told, but unfortunatly I don't know in which region it's pronounced this way.I call it american ( not the dutch people or linguists probably ) because to me it seems exaclty like americans talking !!!

In french, spanish, german, as far as I know, the r never sound similar with the English one.

I think that in japanese there's a letter sounding between r and l. But, this wouldn't be like English.
Travis   Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
Actually, the historical /r/ in many German dialects was [r\], similar to that in most English dialects, and the use of [R] in German is actually quite new in nature. There are still surviving dialects that use [r\] (alveolar) or [r] (trilled) in German today, even though Standard German itself uses [R].
Ikasi   Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 pm GMT
the Spanish has uvular "r" too, the "jota"... (extract of Arabic?)
Pauline   Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
Travis,

it's interesting that the historical german r was similar with enlgish. I know that some german people pronounce the r trilled, but I don't understand what's : [r\] alveolar. This is the english r ? I can't imagine the english r in german, it would be very funny LOL !!!