"hiring" and "high ring"?

Guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 am GMT
>> I as well *never* pronounce -ing as [i~:n] (aka "een"), which sounds really weird to my ears <<

Why does it sound weird? Doesn't it just sound like -ing?
Travis   Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 am GMT
>>Why does it sound weird? Doesn't it just sound like -ing?<<

Not everyone's dialect is like yours, you must remember. In my dialect, -ing is never [i~:n], and furthermore I practically never come into contact with dialects which do have -ing as such, hence why it subjectively sounds weird to me.
Uriel   Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 am GMT
No, they sound different.
Guest   Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
How about "hire" and "higher"?
Travis   Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:17 pm GMT
I myself have for "hire", and "higher":

"hire" : ["h@:IR=]
"higher" : ["ha:IR=]
Guest   Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
The @'s and ~'s and all that other stuff you use when you're pronunciating is confusing....
Travis   Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
>>The @'s and ~'s and all that other stuff you use when you're pronunciating is confusing....<<

Why so? I am just using plain X-SAMPA here with what just happens to be a moderately narrow transcription. It is only confusing if one does not know X-SAMPA, that's all. Anyways, if you don't know X-SAMPA, for more information you can go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

(Oh, and if you do know X-SAMPA, in my dialect [aI] and [@I] are definitely different diphthongs, vowel length is distinctive even if it is not necessarily strictly phonemic, and there can be both isolated nasalized vowels and nasal consonants which have preceding vowels which are not nasalized, hence why I do things like consistently mark vowel length and nasalization when many might think of such as unnecessary.)
Adam   Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
I pronounce "hiring" with two syllables.

The main difference between "high ring" and "hiring" is that in the first example the stress falls on the word "ring" whereas in the second the stresst falls on the "hi".
Lazar   Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
<<How about "hire" and "higher"?>>

I pronounce these words the same, each with what I consider to be 2 syllables.

hire: ["haI@`]
higher: ["haI@`]
User   Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:44 am GMT
Hire/higher are the same in the PNW.
Uriel   Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:39 am GMT
Hire and higher are the same for me.