What are people from Ireland?

Guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:56 am GMT
Potato munchers
Sarcastic Californian   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
<<<Potato munchers>>>

Well. Clearly YOU'RE a fan of the Irish.
Guest   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:17 pm GMT
(Damian in Edinburgh

Paddies

I don't think that all Irish people are offended by the term "Paddy". It can be taken as just an informal abbreviation for the common Irish name Patrick. I'm pretty sure that many guys called Patrick are called Paddy for short and if some regard it as derogatory then I suppose it's their option to do so. Maybe it all depends on context.)

---------------------------------------------

What Damian is trying to say here is that if you go to Scotland and you find him you can call him a scotch.
He might have had some scotch and how can that be offensive?

Do you like it? Then why do you do it to others?
Scotch   Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
>> What Damian is trying to say here is that if you go to Scotland and you find him you can call him a scotch. <<

I think the reason people call people from Scotland "Scotch" is because it sounds much more natural than "Scottish". "Scottish" sounds sort of like "Jewish". So to say that someone is "Scottish" is like saying that he is "Jewish".

We say:
He's Jewish
or
He's a Jew

So, to say: He's a Scottish
is incorrect

Thus, we say "He's a Scotch."--which is just a shortening of Scottish, or Scotchman.
Eerie   Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 pm GMT
We call them simply "Irish". It's not often that you hear about Ireland--it's about as well known as Ecuador. The only time I heard about Ireland was about the Great potato famine.
Adam   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:34 am GMT
" know the Brits, Scots, Americans"

The Scots ARE Brits.
Adam   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:35 am GMT
"I don't know how to get it through your thick skulls, but guys, "Yank" does not mean American"

It does to British people. To the British, all Americans are "Yanks."
Sarcastic Californian   Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
<<<We call them simply "Irish". It's not often that you hear about Ireland--it's about as well known as Ecuador. The only time I heard about Ireland was about the Great potato famine.>>>

Really? Where are you from? Ireland is pretty well known over here in the US.
Yank   Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
>> It does to British people. To the British, all Americans are "Yanks."<<

So, George Bush is a Yank, huh? I don't think he'd like being called that.
Sarcastic Californian   Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 pm GMT
<<<So, George Bush is a Yank, huh? I don't think he'd like being called that.>>>

LMAO!! People call him worse than "yank", in case you didn't know. So what if he doesn't like it? What can he really DO about it? Freedom of Speech, First Ammendment.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
As I have said before in this Forum (ad nauseam) the only Scotch you can find in Scotland comes in bottles. Linguistically the word "scotch" would only be used here in the sense of dismissing an idea or suggestion or some innacurate statement, such as "to scotch a rumour".

Adam is right when he says that British people refer to Americans generally as Yanks, no matter where in the USA they hail from. And in most cases it isn't used in a derogatory way. I'm not sure whether English people would regard "limey" as some kind of insult, even though it apparently was meant that way back in the 18th century, and understandably so.

Adam is also spot on when he says that the Scots are British - we're are! - proud to be Scottish first and British second, and thus it will be until the cows come home, whatever the SNP says.
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 pm GMT
(Damian in Edinburgh
As I have said before in this Forum (ad nauseam) the only Scotch you can find in Scotland comes in bottles. Linguistically the word "scotch" would only be used here in the sense of dismissing an idea or suggestion or some innacurate statement, such as "to scotch a rumour". )

Would you not consider that it is the same for the Irish being called paddies? Not all Irishman have the name Patrick.
Jock (aka Damian)   Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 pm GMT
Guest:

A quote from one of your posts:

***.....you go to Scotland and you find him you can call him a scotch***

What nationality are you? The wording of your quote above suggests non-British. No Scotsman is ever called "a scotch" in the UK. Here a scotch comes in a glass, and in Scotland usually as a chaser. Perhaps other nationalities may refer to us that way but it's totally wrong.

Are you hung up on political correctness, which may make me think you're an American? Irish people have always been nicknamed "paddies" in the UK, and I have checked up on British military sites and confirmed that any Irishman who joins any British military unit immediately gets the nickname Paddy. The same goes for Scots being called Jock and Welshmen being called Taffy. The same goes for the Police service, as a serving police officer (admittedly with the Scottish Lothian and Borders Police Force) has told me himself. When I was at uni in England I was often called Jock. I only had to open my mouth and I was called Jock. No offence given and none taken.

A lot of Irishmen living in England, Scotland and Wales (and there really are thousdands of them) are routinely nicknamed Paddy by the locals. Again - no offence intended, none taken.

If you want to make some sort of PC issue out of this traditional procedure with the four countries of these islands then you are onto a loser as far as the vast majority of us Brits and Irish are concerned, pal.

Here is one link I selected:

http://www.topcomedy.co.uk/weblog/wmar25.htm

Cheers!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 pm GMT
I forgot to add this - you need a keen sense of humour to survive in the UK.....it's a national institution, and virtually compulsory. Without it you are automatically assumed to be a foreigner! :-)
Jessyca   Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:17 pm GMT
"I forgot to add this - you need a keen sense of humour to survive in the UK.....it's a national institution, and virtually compulsory. Without it you are automatically assumed to be a foreigner! :-)"

What kind of humor, Damian?