What are people from Ireland?

Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
***What kind of humor, Damian?***

The British kind, Jessyca. What else? :-) If you abide by political correctness then you'll probably be "offended" by us! There's no place for PC in Brit humour. And the drier the better, and if you can distinguish between subtlety and sarcasm then you'e on to a winner.

British unis are hotbeds of Brit humour - here's what Sheffield uni says about people from abroad trying to suss out what the (BLEEP) we're all about.....

http://www.shef.ac.uk/ssid/international/living/culture.html

Or this generally:

http://www.comedygenius.fsnet.co.uk/
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:04 pm GMT
If I posted some great and revealing links to Brit humour in here it may offend so I'd better not. Wiki pretty much explains it without any such risk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_humour
Guest   Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
Irish people aren't British.
10CH   Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
"Irish people aren't British."

Sorry, but if they're British citizens, they most certainly are. Last time I checked, most of the residents of Northern Ireland were British citizens.
Guest   Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:59 pm GMT
(10CH
Sorry, but if they're British citizens, they most certainly are. Last time I checked, most of the residents of Northern Ireland were British citizens.)

Maybe the IRA should pay you a visit.hehe
Not all the Irish live in Northen Ireland.

Damian in Edinburgh
What you have said makes sense for the Northen Irish but not the Irish of the Republic of Ireland.
Don´t forget Ireland doesn´t even belong to the commonwealth.
13RL   Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:33 pm GMT
"Maybe the IRA should pay you a visit.hehe
Not all the Irish live in Northen [sic] Ireland."

Perhaps you should learn to pay more attention when you read something. Did I suggest that all the Irish live in NI?
Adam   Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
"Maybe the IRA should pay you a visit.hehe "

Maybe Al Qaeda should pay you one.
Adam   Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
"Not all the Irish live in Northen Ireland."

100% of the Northern Irish - citizens of the United Kingdom - do.
Adam   Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
"So, George Bush is a Yank, huh? I don't think he'd like being called that. "

If Shrub is an American 9and he was the last time I checked), then he's a Yank.

To the British, ALL Americans are Yanks, whether you live Texas, Louisiana, California, Alaska or Mogadishu.

You are Yanks. Stop whining about it.
Guest   Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
(Adam
Maybe Al Qaeda should pay you one.)

Sorry Adam but they are not interested in my country, we don´t run around like a U.S lap dog.

10CH/13RL
Read this if you wish

People from Northern Ireland are British citizens on the same basis as people from any other part of the United Kingdom (e.g. by birth in the UK to at least one parent who is a UK permanent resident or citizen, or by naturalisation).

In addition to British citizenship, people who were born in Northern Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 (and most persons born after this date) are entitled to claim citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. This is as a result of the Republic of Ireland extending Irish nationality law on an extra-territorial basis. Originally passed in 1956, the legislation was further developed in 2001 as a result of the Belfast Agreement of 1998, which stated that:

The two governments recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

Lets hope this carries on working and the senseless killing of the past is put at bay for good.
Yankee Doodle   Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 am GMT
>> To the British, ALL Americans are Yanks, whether you live Texas, Louisiana, California, Alaska or Mogadishu.

You are Yanks. Stop whining about it. <<

Go ahead, call us Yanks. See if we care. We'll just think you're an uneducated idiot, if you happen to be talking to a Southern or Westerner. The joke'll be on you, and we'll get the last laugh.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:36 am GMT
Hey you guys - a word of advice - there is no point in arguing or even responding to our lovely friend ADAM...those of us who have been contributing to this Forum for yonks learned this lesson yonks ago.

btw yonks in Britslang means a very long time.

As for the true meaning of the word "Yanks" - we all know what it is - those with the required historical knowledge, that is. It's true that a large number of British people do tend to think of all Americans as "Yanks" - that may well be unfortunate in that it's used as a general term. But take comfort from the fact that the British themselves are referred to in less than flettering terms in many parts of the world - even here in Europe! We just have to lighten up and accept it. Cheers for now...have a good one! :-)
14OI   Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 am GMT
"Guest":

"[T]hey [Al-Qaeda] are not interested in my country [ROI], we don´t run around like a U.S lap dog."

They are not interested in your country simply because it is strategically insignificant. I love the ROI, I'm delighted that you're enjoying prosperity at last, but let's face it: you're a small, constitutionally neutral nation with no great stake in world affairs. You're also a longtime net beneficiary of US largesse so it's particularly rich for you to take potshots at it.

Your neutrality would have counted for nothing in either the Second World War or the Cold War if there had been no US to hide behind (or UK for that matter).

"People from Northern Ireland are British citizens... In addition to British citizenship, people who were born in Northern Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 (and most persons born after this date) are entitled to claim citizenship of the Republic of Ireland... [etc., etc]."

Yes, yes, I'm well aware of this.

"Lets hope this carries on working and the senseless killing of the past is put at bay for good."

Amen to that.
Kelly   Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:39 pm GMT
People from Ireland are English speaking.
They are ashamed of their Irish language so most of them cannot even speak it.
Guest   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:45 am GMT
10CH /13RL/14OI

Kenya describes all that you have said? I think not, one of the first attaind countries by the Al Qaeda, obviously uninteresting because its only Africa. How about the Indonesian bombs, once again it´s only Asia.
France was able to pull aparte a operation and we all know what there stance is and how about Spain, there only crime was giving aid, was the hit justified?

Don´t try to give logic to the illogical.

With the exception of a few, most don´t fit your description of a justified hitable country.