will be Chinese (mandarin) used outside CN in future?

Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:32 am GMT
hhdfhfdfg
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:18 am GMT
Franco:<No offence but you seem to the child of political idealism>.

I guess that you can realize CHINA through the Spanish channel of CHINA, you said:No offence, I feel happy about that, but you should know much more about CHINA's today, NOT the hearsays from JAPAN or US public media. And if you come to CHINA, maybe you'll see another CHINA, which is far from your imagination. ThankS. I'm not a political idealist at all.
Skippy   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 am GMT
I wouldn't worry about the Chinese... At least militarily... It would be difficult enough for them to defeat the American army (assuming that if they just threw bodies at America like the Russians did to Germany, they may actually eventually win) but they'd have to face the army of the UK (easily one of the best, though not the largest), Australia, Canada, etc...

Therefore, I'd say a military invasion by China would be suicidal... and would not help to spread the language(s).

Also, in my experience, Cantonese is much more prevalent outside of China.
Kendra   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 am GMT
''therefore, no matter which varieties of chinese, cantonese or madarin, they are written in the same forms.''

this is not true
cantonese have their own set of characters, many of them are not used anymore in mandarin, cantonese is closer to ancient chinese
Kendra   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:48 am GMT
''Also, in my experience, Cantonese is much more prevalent outside of China.''

This is so true. I remember one episode of an Italian police tv program where there were some Chinese immigrants involved. Italian police
hired a translator from Chinese embassy [Mandarin speaker, obviously] but she couldn't understand spoken Cantonese at all...

Inspectors were perplexed, but the translator responded: ''You speak Italian, but do you understand Sicilian''. Inspectors responded: ''Some'' ;)

Overall, this Mandarin-interpretor was no use at all (she couldn't understand Cantonese at all and she was hired to interpret spoken conversation police was used in investigation)...So funny

Cantonese and Mandarin are as distant as Italian and Spanish.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:52 am GMT
Skippy

Stereotyped speech again. Please stop it.
CHINA was, is, and will be always a peaceful nation!
But if any country want to invade or encroach CHINA,
CHINESE ARMY will NEVER fear for justicial counterattack.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 am GMT
Kendra

<Cantonese and Mandarin are as distant as Italian and Spanish>.

Yes, that's right, but one thing you should notice, in Written Form, the characters of Cantonese are almost the very same as in Mandarin, but in Informal Form, some Cantonese's special characters are widely used, but many of them are not still the Original Characters of Ancient CHINESE. Things changed as time goes by.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 am GMT
For example: (用字)

俾(Contemporary Cantonese)、
畀(Original Ancient Chinese)。
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 am GMT
I am a soothseer and I see China invading Taiwan.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:24 am GMT
Franco

I suggest you'd better read more Chinese history in your free time,
Before Japan invaded and governed Taiwan, TW belongs to CHINA,
After Japan surrendered, Taiwan was handed back to KMT of CHINA,
Now PRC (People's Republic of CHINA) was legalized by U.N. as the only Government of CHINA, Taiwan ought to admit it is one part of CHINA.
And I believe Taiwan will come back to CHINA very pacifically just like Hongkong and Macau in the future. This is only our CHINESE inner affair,
instead of the International unjustifiable issue. Absolutely NOT invasion!
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:36 am GMT
Well, ZhongGuoRen, I commend you for your outstandingly benign and pacifist outlook on the world, however I think you put to much faith into your politicians. Since when did the people want war? Since never. But nobody cares what the people want.
ZhongGuoRen   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:43 am GMT
Franco

Thank you, don't worry. I love Peace, I love freedom, I love democracy, and

I LOVE the peaceful unification between Mainland (CHINA) and Taiwan (CHINA)!
Geoff_One   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:20 am GMT
<<<Cantonese and Mandarin are as distant as Italian and Spanish>.

Yes, that's right, but one thing you should notice, in Written Form, the characters of Cantonese are almost the very same as in Mandarin, but in Informal Form, some Cantonese's special characters are widely used, but many of them are not still the Original Characters of Ancient CHINESE. Things changed as time goes by. >>

Cantonese and Mandarin are significantly more distant than Italian and Spanish. A Chinese person with a PhD in linguistics indicated that Cantonese and Mandarin are approximately as far apart as English and
Sweedish. If Cantonese and Mandarin were only as far apart as Italian and Spanish, then the world would be a much easier place for me.
Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 am GMT
ZhongGuoRen: But what if the Taiwanese don't want to be united again with China? How will a pacific unification be possible then?
Franco   Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 am GMT
Guest, what's the use in arguing against someone who has grown up being feed propaganda of this sorts? It's almost as bad as CNN.