do U think EN needs more words?

2992   Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:58 am GMT
I do believe EN isn't the best language to express yourself due to doesn't have enough words available. They are using too many regular words to describe something which so many other languages have as an only one word...

post some examples in yr own language to see if I'm right or wrong.

thx...

---------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure.....
Guest   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:33 am GMT
English has alot of words, but for daily expressions we use the same ones.
Presley.   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:30 am GMT
Yeah, like I said in my previous reply to your post in that last thread, you should really work on grammar...SERIOUSLY.

Having poor grammar is neither cool nor stylish. You're only making yourself look foolish. And if you're attempting IM English, you're not even doing that the right way. You may as well stick to real English.

As for an actual reply to your question, I would just have to say that you simply don't know English enough to express yourself fully.
2992   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:43 am GMT
"Yeah, like I said in my previous reply to your post in that last thread, you should really work on grammar...SERIOUSLY. "
>> what thread because I cannot find it...

I wasn't saying having a poor grammar it's cool or stylish. I was just trying to say that I've found several words in my language without an english equivalent as a single word as well.
I was able to find the description for those words, but not a dedicated word.

Ex: Romanian: "dor" - "imi e dor de cineva".
En: "missing"?? - "I miss someone/somebody."

well.... "miss/missing" also has "a lipsi" as equivalent in Romanian, but I'm still not able to find EN equivalent for this romanian "dor" word, skipping the "miss" thing.

Maybe it's a little bit tricky, but "to miss someone" isn't the same with "to have that feeling when you're thinking to that person, not necessarely missing it"... got my idea/point?

thx.
------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure...
Americanophile   Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 pm GMT
imi e dor de cineva

doesn't ''dor'' derive from adoro,adorabilis,adorable
if so i have many equivalents,synonyms in American
2992   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:08 am GMT
nope... :)
"dor" it's quite different that "ador". (has a quite different meaning)
---------------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure....
Benjamin   Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 am GMT
« Maybe it's a little bit tricky, but "to miss someone" isn't the same with "to have that feeling when you're thinking to that person, not necessarely missing it"... got my idea/point? »

The verb 'to miss' has at many meanings in English:

1. to fail to hit or strike; e.g. to miss the target
2. to fail to encounter, meet or catch; e.g. to miss the bus; to miss (meeting) one's friend
3. to fail to take advantage of; e.g. to miss one's chance
4. to fail to be present at or for; e.g. to miss a day of work
5. to notice the absence or loss of; e.g. 'when did your first miss your purse?'
6. to regret the absence or loss of; e.g. 'I miss my mother (who has died) dreadfully'
7. to escape or avoid; e.g. 'he just missed being caught'
8. to fail to perceive or understand; e.g. to miss the point of a remark
9. to be unsuccessful

There are also verb phrases which use the verb 'to miss', such as:

1. to miss out — to omit; to leave out
2. to miss out on — to fail to take advantage of; to fail to experience

The meaning is always clear from the context. It doesn't matter whether separate words are used or not, because the same meaning is conveyed.
Adam   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:38 am GMT
" do believe EN isn't the best language to express yourself due to doesn't have enough words available."

English has more words than any other language.
Roderick   Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
English does needs formal words inserted into it's daily vocabulary. No wonder..! English is basic when it comes to learning, although, it's harder to pronounce words if you're not an germanic (Dutch, German etc) speaker.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:15 pm GMT
« English does needs formal words inserted into it's daily vocabulary. »

Why? My overall impression is that most native English speakers find the English language to be perfectly sufficient as it is. What sort of 'formal words' are you talking about?
Guest   Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:15 am GMT
Roderick

When you've learnt that you don't say 'English does needs', then you might be in a better position to judge English as a whole. It's fairly well known that English has the largest vocabulary of any language, so why people are saying it is lacking in vocabulary is beyond me. The grammar is simple yes, but the vocabulary is huge. Why are people claiming it's deficient? Weird! That's like claiming Finnish has no cases lol
Adam   Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
English, though, is one of the most concise European languages. In English we can say a sentence using less words than what the same sentence in French, Italian, or Spanish would need. Finnish is also very concise.
El   Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:31 pm GMT
Finnish is the most difficult non-indoeuropean agglutinative language.
Leena   Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:55 am GMT
<<That's like claiming Finnish has no cases lol>>

<<Finnish is also very concise.>>

Butting in, althoug I don't quite understand the previous quotes. :-)

But if I would say all these sentences in Finnish, I would use different verbs in all of them.

<<The verb 'to miss' has at many meanings in English:

<<1. to fail to hit or strike; e.g. to miss the target
<<2. to fail to encounter, meet or catch; e.g. to miss the bus; to miss (meeting) one's friend
<<3. to fail to take advantage of; e.g. to miss one's chance
<<4. to fail to be present at or for; e.g. to miss a day of work
<<5. to notice the absence or loss of; e.g. 'when did your first miss your purse?'
<<6. to regret the absence or loss of; e.g. 'I miss my mother (who has died) dreadfully'
<<7. to escape or avoid; e.g. 'he just missed being caught'
<<8. to fail to perceive or understand; e.g. to miss the point of a remark
<<9. to be unsuccessful
2992   Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:02 pm GMT
my friends here... thanks for those descriptions for "to miss", but I wasn't asking about the meaning and how to use "miss"...Just please read carefuly: I was asking if there is a specific word to have same meaning like "dor/ a duce dorul cuiva (nu a duce dorul dupa ceva... care e echivalent cu "missing")" in english. Anyway, thanks so far.... :)
--------------------------
"I hate spam" - yeah, sure...