The most difficult Indoeuropean languages...

Franco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 am GMT
Irrintzi,

Haha , shame you just got bummed out.
Guest   Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:53 am GMT
Chinese must be the most difficult
Guest   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 am GMT
<Chinese must be the most difficult>

Chinese doesn't belong to Indo-European languages.
ZhongGuoRen   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 am GMT
Chinese doesn't belong to Indo-European languages.

Above post was written by me...
JGreco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:35 am GMT
I agree with the Celtic because the written form is far from phonetic and pronunciation is difficult even for native English speakers.
Skippy   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:53 am GMT
Lots of animosity... I'd say Lithuanian... Or Polish w/ its three genders coupled with the personalities, which makes it come out to about five genders...
Franco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:20 am GMT
Stop defying my truths. It's obvious that Occitan is impossible for an outsider to learn. One must accept what is obvious, one must not get carried away in wishful thinking. I wish I could learn Occitan, but I can't because unless you are born speaking Occitan, you can't speak Occitan. Therefore it is stupid for me to want to speak Occitan, it's like wanting to be able to fly or wanting to be a rosmusin.
Riadach   Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
<<<<<<<<<<<<<I agree with the Celtic because the written form is far from phonetic and pronunciation is difficult even for native English speakers.>>>>>>>>>

Eh no, they all are phonetic but they adhere to a different set of orthographically rules. And they adhere to them in the true sense, not like English, which may as well not be written down at all :-)
Linguist   Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:54 pm GMT
I am sure that Sanskrit is the most difficult one. it's the most archaic language of all.
Guest   Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
<< yea it is >>

Ok lol
I thought that Albanian was a isolated language as Basque.
Alba   Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
No ALbanian is an indo-European language in its own branch and its the most difficult one.
JGreco   Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:11 pm GMT
"Eh no, they all are phonetic but they adhere to a different set of orthographically rules. And they adhere to them in the true sense, not like English, which may as well not be written down at all :-)"

Even though I still think that Celtic is very hard to learn. Though I agree with the thought about Polish. The way they spell their words is a nightmare for anybody trying to learn their language.
Pete   Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:55 am GMT
<<Eh no, they all are phonetic but they adhere to a different set of orthographically rules. And they adhere to them in the true sense, not like English, which may as well not be written down at all :-)>>

I liked your comment abuot English, Celtic follow a set of rules. Right, so since pronunciation is quite complex, then orthografy must be complex as well.

<<Even though I still think that Celtic is very hard to learn. Though I agree with the thought about Polish. The way they spell their words is a nightmare for anybody trying to learn their language.>>

It is... I can't really make out any of it when I see it written... Although an Irish bloke told me it's not as difficult as it looks but...

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Franco   Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:24 am GMT
What about the Vietnamese, is this not considered an Indo-European language because it comes from Indo-China.
Guest   Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:00 am GMT
It isn't considered one because it isn't related to the languages classified under the Indo-European language family.