question

Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:16 am GMT
how do americans pronounce the word?
Travis   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:24 am GMT
To go and reiterate my above pronunciations approximately, without X-SAMPA, I would say that I pronounce "question" as either "kwesh-chin" or "kwesh-shin". (I hadn't read the original question when posting before.)
Travis   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:28 am GMT
>>how do americans pronounce the word?<<

That's assuming that Americans use any one pronunciation, which is not the case. For instance, me, Lazar, and Josh Lalonde are all Americans, and yet we ourselves do not have the same pronunciations of "question" overall.
leena   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:33 am GMT
travis
if i use whatever comes in mind like for example i say this /qustshion/ then i say not that /queshion/ will this sound strange?
Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 am GMT
Josh Lalonde is a Canadian, just for the record.
Travis   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:47 am GMT
>>Josh Lalonde is a Canadian, just for the record.<<

I should have said "North Americans", but forgot; my apologies.
Travis   Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:50 am GMT
>>travis
if i use whatever comes in mind like for example i say this /qustshion/ then i say not that /queshion/ will this sound strange?<<

North American English dialects tend to use [E] in the word "question" overall and vary primarily on whether they have [stS], [StS], or [S:] and [In] or [@n].
leena   Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 am GMT
travis i didnt understand would u make it more clearer if u dont mind?
Guest   Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:10 am GMT
leena, we need a help of NASA scientists in order to understand Travis's posts. Hear! Hear! we are not intellectuals.
leena   Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:12 am GMT
looool guest he must have won the Nopel prize for the best linguist in the world.Travis plz make it easy for us hun.