Which Language are you Working on at Present?

Geoff_One   Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:12 am GMT
Many people here obviously have more than one language under their belt. Do you intend to improve upon this bag of skills? Which language(s) are you currently actively working on? Are you in the process of putting the finishing polishes on a language? If your circumstances changed dramatically (eg. You move to the other side of the world to take up a high paying job.) would you continue actively studying this language or
would you study another language that better reflects your changed circumstances. Some time ago, I read (1) about the case of a person who on four separate occasions almost became fluent in a language.
Each of the languages was different for the four separate occasions and two of them were Spanish and Korean (2). This person said that on each of the four occasions he lost his chance to become fluent largely because he had to move around as a result of work. On each occasion the language he left behind soon faded and reached such a state of dis-repair that he reckoned major efforts would be needed to rebuild it.

As a side issue, answers to the above questions would give a strong indication where respondents are coming from with their posts.

Sorry about all the metaphors, I am just temporarily having some difficulties in thinking in everyday English.

Footnotes:
(1) In another language internet forum that I can not readily remember the name of.
(2) I can not readily remember the names of the other two
Tiffany   Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:41 am GMT
I am currently working on Italian. I can speak it at an advanced level, and would have no trouble holding a conversation in Italian.

However my vocabulary is not that big and VERY specific... limited to mostly things like illness, taking walks, shopping, eating, feelings and talking about relatives. Anything conversational, simply because I don't have experiences like how the buy a frost-free refridgerator in Italian. I have no idea what the correct word for "ice cubes" is (pezzi di ghiaccio?) or what the names for different types of dogs are (or even if they have different names in Italian). I have no idea what the names of different fabrics are in Italian.

The reason is simple: No one talks to me about that stuff.

The reason I even started Italian is because my circumstances changed dramatically: I fell in love with an Italian. Not that I haven't always been interested in languages. Studied Spanish since I was six and I could get by though I'm better in Italian now. I have some knowledge of French as my mother is fluent in it and would love to learn more, but I had enough problems in my transition from Spanish to Italian cause they are too alike and my Spanish really suffered as my Italian replaced much of it. I'll wait till I'm fully fluent in Italian to begin French.
greg   Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:01 am GMT
Aujourd'hui je me concentre sur l'ancien français. Mais j'hésite entre renforcer mon espagnol (rudimentaire) ou me lancer dans le catalan ou l'occitan. J'aurais besoin de muscler mon allemand... Quand à mon anglais, ça va : je peux le pratiquer sur www.langcafe.net ou www.unilang.org .
suomalainen   Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:53 am GMT
I try to learn more Southern Estonian (Võro/Seto) because next weekend there will be guests from there in our town.
I also try to improve my Spanish (because their is a Mexican exchange student at our school) and Russian so that I would be able to really converse in these languages.
Also, one of my friends asks me to translate between Finnish and Latvian and as my knowledge of Latvian is far from perfect I have to study it also.
Dividing forces between many languages at the same time is not very good, then nothing will be learnt properly, and if I have learnt a language in too short time and have used it only little, then I forget also soon.
Guest   Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 am GMT
I'm working on hyroglyphics: the language of hyroglyphs. Also, Inuit, Ebonics and Klingon.
bernard   Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 am GMT
I have been learning Catalan last year, but my level is still low (one hour a week is not enough)
I have to improve my spanish, because I paln to find a job in a spanish speaking country to have a new experience.
I have a basic level of english from school (quite long since now), and some basis of italian.
Sander   Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:11 pm GMT
I'm further improving my German and am reanimating my french.
Guest   Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:16 pm GMT
Sander,

When i see how you speak english, i have doubts you are able to speak french. Please, respect for my native language. The best is to shut up, don't you ignore the Académie Française wouldn't like that?
Sander   Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:25 pm GMT
Guest,

First French is not 'your' language, and second I do what I want and am sure as hell not taking any note of your opinion.

Besides, due to my English knowledge, I already know a lot of French vocabulary.
Sigma   Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:18 pm GMT
I'm improving my French and Romanian
Geoff_One   Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:27 pm GMT
I am working on Spanish and Japanese (the romanised form).
bernard   Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:38 pm GMT
" Sander,
When i see how you speak english, i have doubts you are able to speak french. Please, respect for my native language. The best is to shut up, don't you ignore the Académie Française wouldn't like that? "

Guest,

There is no need to be agressive against Sander. He said he is interested by french and wants to improve it, it is a good news and let's encourage him !
Paul N.   Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:24 pm GMT
I've just started studying the Italian language.

Tiffany:

But, I have not fallen in love with any Italian girl, yet. My suspicion is, probably I will never will.
Tiffany   Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:53 pm GMT
Why are you trying to fall in love with una ragazza italiana?
Tiffany   Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:31 pm GMT
Oh, perhaps you are saying that because my reason for studying Italian was because I fell in love with one.

I feel I would have studied it somewhere down the line. I think love just gave it a little nudge. I was actually going to start French the next semester of university when I fell for him. Switched from French class to Italian class instead. Che sarà, sarà! Chissà quando arriva l'amore?