Which Language are you Working on at Present?

Pixels   Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 am GMT
I'm currently improving my mother tongue, Spanish, because it has many anglisisms thanks to my having lived in Florida for my whole life. I speak it fluently, but there are some phrases that I just can't say, so I'm working on fine tuning it.

Also, I started Italian in January, and I understand a whole lot. I can watch movies and understand 90%, or listen to music and understand 80%. I can read it too, but when I try speaking it or writing it, my recall of the words isn't so great, so I have to speak slowly or just get help. Plus, it doesn't help that I don't actually speak to any Italians except for my Italian teacher, who isn't even a native speaker. She has a glaring accent in Italian, but she speaks it very well.

L'italian è troppo bello.

After Italian, I want to study possibly Swedish, German, Russian, Polish, Hebrew, Arabic, French, or Finnish. I can't decide which one I'll like better.
Tiffany   Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 am GMT
Pixels,
Penso che tu voglia dire: "L'italiano è molto bello". You used "troppo" which menas too much. It makes it seems like you think Italian is too pretty and you don't like.
Sander   Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:21 am GMT
Well well well... I though Pixels WAS A TROLL!

BTW, I'm learning the VERY USEFUL LANGUAGE OF ATLANTIS and reanimating my Martian... you're welcome! (welkom)
greg   Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:17 am GMT
Pixels : « l'italian è troppo bello » & Tiffany : « l'italiano è molto bello ».

C'est marrant parce qu'en français standard c'est la 2nde construction (comme en italien) qui s'impose : « l'italien est très beau » (« très » = « molto ») mais dans le français familier employé par les jeunes on dit : « l'italien est trop beau » (« trop » = « troppo »).

Autre exemple :
« cette fille, elle est trop belle » = « cette fille est très belle »
« il est trop géant ce film » = « ce film est vraiment très bien ».

Mais attention :
« elle est trop chère s'te caisse » = « cette voiture est trop chère » (pas exactement « très chère »).
Paul N.   Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:28 am GMT
Tiffany,

Do not take it too seriously.

I’m not trying to fall in love with una ragazza italiana. Though, I think I fell in love with the Italian language.

I’m not surprised to learn that you made an earlier than originally planned switch to the Italian language. The fact that you fell for him probably caused the switch to happen sooner. Anyway, thank you very much for giving me a useful phrase –‘Che sarà, sarà! Chissà quando arriva l'amore?’ I will keep saying it to me from now on, just for learning reasons.

Paul N.
Sander   Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 am GMT
=>Well well well... I though Pixels WAS A TROLL!

BTW, I'm learning the VERY USEFUL LANGUAGE OF ATLANTIS and reanimating my Martian... you're welcome! (welkom) <=

Wasn't me , just a troll.
Ik was dit niet ,gewoon een trol.
Tiffany   Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:31 pm GMT
Greg,
Ti rispondo in italiano perché non so abbastanza di francese. Grazie mille! Non lo so. Allora Pixels, forse tutte le due sono corrette!

Greg,
I respond to you in Italian because I don't know enough French. Thanks! I didn't know that. So Pixel, maybe both are correct!

Paul N.:
I made up that phrase, but it's correct as far as I'm concerned :) It's not some old saying or anything though (if you were thinking it was)
Tony   Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:37 am GMT
Well well well you all have some interesting reasons for learning languages.

I studied in Miami where I learned Spanish. After this I found pimsleur, Rosetta stone, movie transcripts, movies, radio, internet etc which I used together as one reinforces the other. Once I learned how the brain works when it comes to learning languages I went on a learning spree. After Spanish I did French, Portuguese, German and now Italian. I stopped German and started Italian as it became a bit confusing since all the others are Latin based and are quite easy once you understand the structure. I can speak Spanish, French and Portuguese well but I’m not fluent although many natives think I’m. I only started Italian a last week (pimsleur) but I have already noticed that it is very similar to French, Spanish and Portuguese. What I wonder is if I will ever be totally fluent in all of the languages I speak. I understand about 80% - 100% of what they say but I can’t speak them as I speak English not even in Spanish although I lived in South America. Any help on my problem will be greatly appreciated as I can’t live in all these countries but I need a way to produce output. When I’m finished with Italian, which should take about 4-6 months I intent to finish learning German and start learning Russian, Japanese and Chinese and MAYBE Arabic (god alone knows how long it will take). I know I may be pushing it a bit but I travel a lot and I hate translators.
greg   Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:47 am GMT
Tiffany : merci de ta réponse en italien > ça ajoute de la douceur et de la beauté dans des sujets parfois « musclés ».
Paul N.   Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am GMT
Tiffany,

I did not know you had made up the phrase. Anyhow, it sounds pleasant to me.

Once, I heard the refrain of an English song. The part of which was, what I then thought in the Spanish language. If I’m not mistaken it went like that: “che sara, sara, whatever, will be will be”

Initially, I thought you had used this refrain to make up the phrase. But that was not the case.

Ciao

Paul N.
Tiffany   Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:06 pm GMT
Paul N.:
There is a song with the chorus, "Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be." The Italians (almeno nel Comune where my husband is from) say it all lot too. "Che sarà, sarà!"

Greg:
Sì, non ho nessun problema a risponderti in italiano, ma spero di studiare francese in futuro e di diventare più sicura.
a.p.a.m.   Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:48 pm GMT
Right now, I'm studying and trying to improve on my parents native Italian. I'm continually studying Spanish, French, and Romanian.
Presley.   Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 am GMT
My strongest languages are English, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish.

I have taken (and am still taking) French classes for six years, so I can speak it very well, but I rarely use it so it's not as strong as my Spanish. My nanny speaks Spanish, and I learned from her since I was very small.

I can understand Italian and Portuguese.

I'm now taking Spanish to perfect my grammer, and I still go to Korean school on Saturdays. Japanese is the language of my father. We speak Japanese at home, but I speak Korean when it's just with my mother.
Carthage   Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:02 am GMT
Dutch.
Benjamin   Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:18 am GMT
I've been doing French at school for what seems like forever and I'm going to do a language course in Germany this summer — I intend to study French and German (exclusively) when I go to university in 2007. I'm also learning Esperanto, and I should probably keep reading things in Spanish to make sure that I can still understand it. I like the idea of doing Dutch as well.