Horse/Hoarse and Poor/Pour

Lazar   Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:06 am GMT
I think for many poor-pour merged people, it's still common to preserve /ur/ in certain lower-frequency words like "tours" and "Coors". (I think this is what Uriel meant.)
Guest   Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 am GMT
I pronounce Coors and tours differently but poor and pour the same.
Uriel   Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:18 am GMT
<<And what does "Coors" rhyme with?>>

Moors and lures, for me. And not much else -- it's a weird sound. I never rhyme tour with four, although I've occasionally heard that pronunciation.
andre in philly   Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:03 am GMT
Moors, lures, tours, fours... all of them rhyme for me, realized either as /ur/ or something close to it. This is part of the back vowel shift. So /Or/ takes the place of /Ar/ as in "car" (if I'm using x-sampa correctly).
Travis   Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:11 am GMT
>>Moors, lures, tours, fours... all of them rhyme for me, realized either as /ur/ or something close to it. This is part of the back vowel shift. So /Or/ takes the place of /Ar/ as in "car" (if I'm using x-sampa correctly).<<

So you have "four" with /ur/ not /Or/, just to make sure I'm getting that right?
andre in philly   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:19 am GMT
No, after thinking about it more I realized "four" does not have /ur/ -- it is different. I use /for/ for "four."
Uriel   Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:22 am GMT
Yeah, I can't picture "lure" sounding like "lore" -- which it would have to, to sound like "four".
andre in philly   Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:54 am GMT
lure, lore: [lur\]
four: [for\]

Now it really isn't quite [lur\] the vowel is somewhere between /o/ and /u/. This vowel shift depends on specific words too; for example, "store" is very much [stur\]. I'm in transition.
Philip   Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 pm GMT
I pronounce "poor" and "pour" both as /pO:/. "four" is /fO:/ rhyming with "store" and "lore". "moor" and "tour" are /mO:/ and /tO:/. "lure" is /l3:/.