"to put down" usage

Bridget   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
<The key word here is "write", and yes, I do tend towards using a formal literary register when writing. >

Even when writing to Mom?!!
Travis   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 pm GMT
>><The key word here is "write", and yes, I do tend towards using a formal literary register when writing. >

Even when writing to Mom?!!<<

Well, I don't write much to Mom, for starters. That said, though, when chatting online I do not write like I write here, but rather far more closely approximate my everyday speech.
Travis   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:47 pm GMT
>><Of course, I don't *speak* like this, as you may have guessed. >

you do not speak like a truly American native speaker. Your accent is North Korean. I am willing to bet my life on it.<<

LOL.
Bridget   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:06 am GMT
<but rather far more closely approximate my everyday speech. >

Is "far more closely" correct? Shouldn't it be "much more closely"?
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:20 am GMT
Why is it always North Korean? Why not South?
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
<<Why is it always North Korean? Why not South? >>

because Travis has had rigid attitude over a course of years on the forum ( a sort of dictatorship attitude). If you dont agree with him, you are out of the discussion. Now you can guess, why North korean not South Korean?
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Josh, trust me, he was born and raised in the US, yet he sounds like a North korean... Travis son, can repost your voice clip again for Josh to listen to?
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:25 pm GMT
Travis   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
The site on which that was hosted is now down. I'll have to find some other source of hosting in the future such things such as audioclips.
Travis   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:20 pm GMT
>><<Why is it always North Korean? Why not South? >>

because Travis has had rigid attitude over a course of years on the forum ( a sort of dictatorship attitude). If you dont agree with him, you are out of the discussion. Now you can guess, why North korean not South Korean?<<

So I am "rigid" in that I have been consistent in following and insisting upon linguistic principles and in opposing views of human language counter to them? And if that is "rigid", just why is that a problem?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 pm GMT
If you want to post audioclips, you can use putfile.com.
This whole North Korean thing is hilarious. <<I am willing to bet my life on it.>> Priceless. I wonder if North Koreans do have a different accent in English than South Koreans (besides being more 'rigid')?
Travis   Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 am GMT
>>If you want to post audioclips, you can use putfile.com.<<

I was thinking of just that, but I could not remember the exact URL offhand.

>>This whole North Korean thing is hilarious. <<I am willing to bet my life on it.>> Priceless. I wonder if North Koreans do have a different accent in English than South Koreans (besides being more 'rigid')?<<

It definitely is. That said, it is hard to think of myself intuitively having a "strong" or "foreign" accent, even though according to many individuals who have listened to audio samples of mine (and a few individuals in real life) have made comments to just that effect.
Guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:49 am GMT
Josh is a neutral observer, has unfettered knowledge on various dialects and accents. He is the best judge we can nominate for settling this North Korean dispute for ever if you (Travis) are willing to put up your audioclip again. From now on, I'll never accuse of you having a North Korean accent. Up for the deal??
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:34 pm GMT
<<Josh is a neutral observer, has unfettered knowledge on various dialects and accents. He is the best judge we can nominate for settling this North Korean dispute for ever if you (Travis) are willing to put up your audioclip again. From now on, I'll never accuse of you having a North Korean accent. Up for the deal??>>

I don't know if I'm qualified to judge such a prestigious event: I've never heard a North Korean accent. Aside from this whole Korean issue, I would be interested to hear an accent sample from you Travis, if you have access to the equipment. The passage here: http://web.ku.edu/idea/readings/comma.htm
is good because it includes all the lexical sets.