Which accent is really more popular in the world?

Jenkinson   Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:58 am GMT
Between British accent and American accent, which one do you think sounds more pleasing? Which one is more popular the world over?
Patrick   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:05 am GMT
I think the American accent is definitely more pleasing, but not all forms of it. I couldn't tell you which is more popular over the world, but not many non-Americans or non-Brits use either of these accents.
Pax   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:22 am GMT
Jenkinson;you strike me as a flame seeking whore! How colourful indeed, I recon fellow Brits and our cousins (meant with respect, mind you) will be engaged in juvenile disputes...shortly. To use an American expression (that fits you):what goes arround comes around. You take care now laddy.
Jenkinson   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:44 am GMT
Just tell it as it is
Pax   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:57 am GMT
<<Just tell it as it is>>

I believe I just did, thank you ;)
British laddy   Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 am GMT
American accent: more popular and more DANGEROUS. ;)
British Accent: soft, unique, nostalgic(like sending you back in the days of kings and queens) and educated.
Liz   Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:42 pm GMT
<<British Accent: soft, unique, nostalgic(like sending you back in the days of kings and queens) and educated.>>

It depends on which variety you are talking about.
This description sounds sort of stereotypical. Seems like you think of RP as *the* British accent, which, in fact, isn't.

Why is the American accent more "dangerous"? I fail to understand what it means in that context.
Rene   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
It is dangerous because people the world over hate us. Europeans think that we're power-hungry, obnoxious, arrogant, whiny, stupid, uneducated, hypocrites of a class of mammel that ranks somewhere below gerbil. Which of course, some of us are. Most other countries hate us because the U.S. refuses to get its nose out of everybody's buisness, and is anti-communist. So, our accent is more dangerous because the moment we open our mouths people think that we are either the above mentioned stereotype or are directly involved in some war the U.S. is fighting, which by the way, there wasn't a whole lot of choice about Iraq, we were'nt exactly geven a vote, but then again neither was congress....
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
lol...Rene....gave a full definition of the word "dangerous". ;)
Liz   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:30 pm GMT
Nooo, Rene...that's not true! :-)

Those who believe in these stereotypes are either ignorant or extremely narrow-minded.
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:50 pm GMT
<<Those who believe in these stereotypes are either ignorant or extremely narrow-minded.>>

And how do you view those stereotypes (majority) of the American population Liz?, after all; they have given their country (which used to be a great one) a very poor reputation.
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:52 pm GMT
I personally view those stereotypes (majority) of the American population as highly ignorant and extremely narrow-minded. :P
Kendra   Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
American accents are more popular. Even British singers (90% of them) prefer American accent when they sing...
RP sounds cold and emotionless. Accents or Northern England are much warmer.
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:44 pm GMT
Kendra... money talks if you know what I mean. In real life, those British singers would prefer to talk in British accents than American accents.
Liz   Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
<<And how do you view those stereotypes (majority) of the American population Liz?, after all; they have given their country (which used to be a great one) a very poor reputation.>>

Yeah, the politicians but NOT the individuals...Not all of them.

<<In real life, those British singers would prefer to talk in British accents than American accents.>>

Yes. Singing and normal speech are different thigs. I think there are basically two reasons why most British singers prefer "the" American accent when singing:

1. They have been brought up listening to and singing old American classics (Motown Records etc.). If you like these songs, try to sing them and you do well, you find yourself emulating the singer. That doesn't only involve the way of singing but the accent as well. Just think of Amy Winehouse.

2. Many people think that American accents sound better (when being sung).

Fortunately, there ARE a lot of singers who retain their original distinctly British accents. Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against singing with an American accent, but I think we need those, too, who sing with their original accents.