Which accent is really more popular in the world?

furrykef   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
I find that singing is often (but by no means always) somewhat "accentless". I'm a rhotic speaker, but my singing is generally non-rhotic. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm unidentifiably American when I sing, but my accent becomes much less distinct.

> Is there such a thing as AN American or British accent? I've been in both countries and heard many accents.

You're right that both countries have quite a variety of accents, but all of them are still identifiably "American" or "British". Non-rhotic American English speakers still don't sound like Brits, and rhotic Brits don't sound quite like Americans.

- Kef
somesortofnamehere!!   Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
i quite like both accents actually.. sometimes just for the hell of it i will talk in an american accent.. something my parents arent to pleased with but oh well!! but arent you all forgeting other accents? i quite like english spoken with a french, italian or even german accent. french and italian are kind of sexy.. you know i'm right!!.. and i have no idea why i like the german accent.. it seems i only like it when it comes from a man, not a woman... maybe some sort of repressed sexual longing for someone to take command in the bedroom?? after all, the germans do like to take control in that way!! lol
Bill   Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:50 am GMT
somesortofnamehere!!

Your preference for German accent and explanation for it makes good sense in a sexy way.
somesortofnamehere!!   Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm GMT
i'm glad it made sense to you Bill.. nd yes it IS sexy, is it not? lol
Cool American Guy   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
Sex is currency... She sells cars, she sells magazines. Addictive, bittersweet. Clap your hands with the hopeless nicotines.

Everyone's a lost romantic since our love became a kissing show.
Everyone's a Casanova. Come and pass me the mistletoe.
Everyone's been scared to death of dying here alone.

She's easier than love, easier than life. It's easier to fake and smile and burn! It's easier to leave, it's easier to lie. It's harder to face ourselves at night. Feeling alone, what have we done? What is this monster we've become? Where is my soul???

La la la la la!
Cool American Guy   Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:26 pm GMT
There's a song to learn. See if you sound American or British when you scream it out.
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 pm GMT
She sells seashells upon the seashore.
Mark   Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
Love Both English and American Accents, particularly when spoken by the fairer sex. English when spoken correctly sounds more intellectual, reserved and dignified, (although this on the decline); and American sounds more friendly, open and warm, (despite some loud and obnoxious users of it).

Both have different advantages and disadvantages, but what is more important is that personality of the orator him or herself.
somesortofnamehere!!   Mon May 21, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
i agree with what you say Mark.. but I'm not sure about the whole "when spoken by the fairer sex" thing, being female I've never really thought of it that way. I think both American and English accents sound just as good when spoken bby men aswell as women. I try and speak correct English but I often get the mickey taken for this because people say it sounds posh or snobish.
Mark   Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
somesortofnamehere!! I agree but since I'm male I prefer the talk of females, although I sure marriage would sort that out.
Pub Lunch   Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm GMT
As an Englishman I'd say without question the sweetest accent on a bird has to be a plummy accent, not too RP mind, but slightly mellower - perhaps an Oxfordshire accent, simply puurrfect.

For a bloke, it is hard to beat a Bronx accent, literally the sterotypical mafia accent. I worked with a geezer from their once, you should have seen the girls melt. If you come to England with an accent like that then you are well in there.

Which is the most popular?? Who knows, there all top.
Rene   Mon May 21, 2007 10:17 pm GMT
Pub Lunch, you most be joking! A Bronx accent, surely not! That is one of the most stigmatised accents there is over here. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of lovely people from that area, but I would consider that accent much more of a turnoff than anything else.
Mark   Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
Pub Lunch that was what I was alluding to when I said correctly, I love a soft RP accent, although I also love various American accents as well. There seems to be an unusual bias in the UK, for accents that are deemed unattractive in the US, southern for example I've always heard being moaned at by American's for sounding to redneck, although I quite like it. Just an observation I've picked up on other boards, mostly made up of US citizens.
Pub Lunch   Tue May 22, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
Exactly Mark - soft RP on a lady is, for me at least, the finest accent a lady can have. I think that bias you mention is just the ole opposites attract - the grass is greener sort of thing. I'd have to agree with the Americans regarding that 'redneck' accent and give it a thumbs down, but this is more to do with the way the blokes sound. Some 'Southern' lasses sound quite 'cute' I suppose (I'm thinking Britney Spears - anyone else??).

Rene - really!!! The Bronx accent gets a hard time over there huh?? Not sure if I meant Brooklyn come to think of it now. Hmmnnn.. Brooklyn is more of an African- American area isn't it?? Nope, it was definitely a Bronx accent, a bit like erm.. blimey I can't think of any actors....Robert De Niro???? Anyway you know what I mean!! A turn off - wow!! It is funny the difference a few thousand miles of sea makes. In England my accent would be considered a turn off for many (Estuary/cockney/mockney) but when over in the US, I get stopped everywhere. It's a funny world I suppose.
Guest   Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
Being an American, I have always thought RP the prettiest English tongue; a whole lot of Americans agree. It's almost musical.

Funny thing is that few Englishmen like RP.