English has less words than french for a same description?

Pauline   Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
>>Muchas Gracias, madame!<<

De nada, señor(a) el/la anti-Snob!!! :-)
greg   Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
« Guest » : « Like I said, find an Ø (that's not you) with Ø in the field to Ø what I say and that which is Ø. »

J'ai ôté les mots d'origine francolatine qui, de surcroît, ont été piratés par quelqu'un qui est rétif au raisonnement.

« Guest » : « There are likely over two Ø English words in all Ø when Ø Ø are Ø, and likely over four Ø if Ø andØ Ø where to be Ø (Crystal, 1990). ».

Crystal ?!? Quelle référence... Toujours pas de preuve ?
greg   Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 am GMT
À mon grand regret, je suis bien obligé de te dire que tes "arguments" n'ont pas avancé d'un iota. Ni sur le "raisonnement", ni sur les "chiffres". David Crystal est tout sauf une référence impartiale en matière de lexicologie interlangues car il s'agit d'un vulgaire marchand de tapis doublé d'un grossier propagandiste anglopathe. Cherche mieux.
Guest   Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:52 am GMT
A few moments ago you had NO idea who David Crystal was but now you judge him as a shill and claim he is a big-time Anglo-pathic propagandist.

Wow, big call, little man. But what would a respected professor, you know nothing of, have to gain from passing off humbug as you do so well?

I understand what this is really about. With your fragile ego, you see this as a personal attack on you because somehow you perceive it as belittling French. With your disrespect for reason, you actually have an interest in language?

Search yourself for once. Start here: http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%22david+crystal

But to your regret, Google technology is based on English. So are you going to boycott Google like you boycott English and logic?
laaa question c vouuleeez   Thu May 03, 2007 9:51 pm GMT
Can we consider "boom, bang, booh or splash" as actual words? (for a thick frenchman like me, it sounds a bit like onomatopoeias '-_-) There are more words in english but you see, it's not because Jean has 1 one-euro coin and John 2 fifty-cents coins, that John is richer (omg so funny!); using figures is a particularly superficial way to assess the worth of a language. It kind of makes me think this polemic aint nothing but a mere pathological transference ("my 'language' is longer than yours" you know) You can't compare a language to another one, implying that one is superior to the other one. That's so puffickly ridiculous and ethnocentric.
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 2:17 pm GMT
Can we consider words like "dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane or N-diethyl-m-toluamide' as actual words as well?
A-S   Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
<<Can we consider words like "dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane or N-diethyl-m-toluamide' as actual words as well? >>

Effectively, no.
Only 5,000-7,000 words are commonly used in English and French.
Adam   Fri May 04, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
"So are you going to boycott Google"
The French tried to create a French rival to Google (they try to do anything to try and our-rival the Americans) but, like "Airbust" it failed.

The system - www.geoportail.fr - crashed on its launch.
guest   Fri May 04, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
<<The system - www.geoportail.fr - crashed on its launch. >>

hee hee

: ]]
A-S   Fri May 04, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
<<
<<So are you going to boycott Google"
The French tried to create a French rival to Google (they try to do anything to try and our-rival the Americans) but, like "Airbust" it failed.

The system - www.geoportail.fr - crashed on its launch. >>

Nous aussi, on t'aime, ne t'en fait pas.
Quel est le rapport avec ce qui est dit?
Simple francophobinerie, voulant montrer par quelconques moyens une certaine décadence?

Déjà, c'est pas GOOGLE, c'est GOOGLE EARTH(.) /full top/

Géoportail est usité, mais seulement pour le bonheur de la découverte de vues satellites splendides, que la France nous offre dans sa plus grande grandeur.

Et j'avoue, ils ne veulent pas concurrencer les Américains, seulement donner des infos plus précises sur notre pays, en quoi c'est un mal?

E Pluribus Unum? Pas trop pour nous.
In God We Trust? Ce n'est pas dans nos idéaux, nous restons distant de ces religions qui provoquent tant de conflits. "Dans la démocratie, nous croyons, dans la liberté, l'égalité et la fraternité."

"Airbust" it failed.

Uno-
C'est Airbus est non Airbust.
Duo-
Tu n'est pas dans l'actu toi, tu devrais savoir que l'Euro et en train de faire chavirer le Dollar, et que de ce fait, Airbus a de fortes chances de retrouver une stimulation pour sa productivité, et reconcurrencer sérieusement le Boeing par exemple.
Trio-
Airbus, c'est pas français, mais EUROPEEN, c'est l'union de la CASA (Espagne), British Aerospace (GB), GIE Aérospatiale (France), Belairbus (Belgique), Fokker (Pays-Bas) et la Deutsche Airbus (Allemagne).
A-S   Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 pm GMT
Pour les non-comprenants, voici un lien (français) qui vous permettra de traduire ce que j'ai dit, je suis un peu écoeuré de l'anglais en ce moment...
---------
For the non-french speakers, here is a link which will allow you to translate what I said, I am a little demoralized by English at the moment...

http://www.lexilogos.com/traduction_multilingue.htm
guest   Fri May 04, 2007 10:04 pm GMT
<<Uno-
>>

I'm sure that this was meant as a play on words: Air + Bust (i.e. it busted--haha)

I like it!
A-S   Sat May 05, 2007 11:19 am GMT
<<
<<Uno-
>>

I'm sure that this was meant as a play on words: Air + Bust (i.e. it busted--haha)

I like it! >>

Boeing!

Bing-Bang!! Failing!!!

HIIHIHIHIHHI funnnnyyyyy!!!

Zenbat ttunttunak et tetelekariek badira American? Ainitz!

You, that maybe makes you laugh, but not for me...
greg   Sat May 05, 2007 11:43 pm GMT
Guest : « A few moments ago you had NO idea who David Crystal was (...) ».

Non, relis. À mon grand regret je connais Crystal. Et je te confirmes qu'il s'agit d'un marchand de tapis.

Guest : « I understand what this is really about. With your fragile ego, you see this as a personal attack on you because somehow you perceive it as belittling French. With your disrespect for reason, you actually have an interest in language? »

Ma parole, serais-tu l'enfant caché de David Crystal ?!?

Guest : « But to your regret, Google technology is based on English. So are you going to boycott Google like you boycott English and logic? ».

C'est sûr qu'en te répondant je ne fais pas honneur à la logique...
guest   Sun May 06, 2007 6:48 pm GMT
<<Boeing!...
Bing-Bang!! Failing!!!...
HIIHIHIHIHHI funnnnyyyyy!!!...
Zenbat ttunttunak et tetelekariek badira American? Ainitz!...
You, that maybe makes you laugh, but not for me... >>

hmmm, you don't have to tell me that you're probably, um, FRENCH?? --you ACT like it--that's what makes it so funny.

<<C'est sûr qu'en te répondant je ne fais pas honneur à la logique... >>

what is sure is that you do not know logic as well as you think you do.