What is the future of English in the USA?

Hutch   Sat May 05, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
Spanish is increasing rapidly in the United States. Will it surpass English in number of speakers, or, by everybody?
furrykef   Sat May 05, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
I really doubt that. It could happen in the distant future, but not in our lifetimes. This country is far too resistant to that idea. People seem to be putting a lot of effort into preventing that sort of scenario even though it's far from reality at this point.

Although I do think anybody who wants to become an American citizen should learn English, I think we tend to go too far in that direction. I think it's partly xenophobia and partly fear of having to learn another language (horror of horrors).

- Kef
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sat May 05, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
Um... Does it matter if Spanish has more *speakers* than English? Is it truly the number of speakers that matters? The way I understand it is that there are many Spanish speakers in the Southwest, and places like Florida, and New York. But that doesn't mean that they dominate the country at all. Just because you have a large concentration of Spanish speakers in certain areas, does not mean that they are going to dominate the country--just those areas. I think it really depends on where you live. For example, in certain areas in the Pacific Northwest, especially places like Seattle and Vancouver, you run into many Chinese and Japanese speakers, but very few Spanish speakers. I've run into as many Germans, Italians, and Russians as I've run into Spanish speakers. So, even if for example, you replaced the entire population of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Florida, with Spanish speakers, we certainly wouldn't notice anything amiss here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure that people from North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. will also be oblivious to this growing "threat" of Spanish speakers taking over the country. In fact, I've seen many more things labelled in Japanese and Vietnamese than Spanish around here. I don't even think that anyone could even make it here if they spoke only Spanish. So, I don't think that numbers really make any difference, it's more of influence throughout the country. Just because some states have large concentrations of monolingual Spanish speakers, doesn't mean that they have any large impact on other areas. Now, while it's true that in some areas in the US, Spanish is almost like the second language, but I can assure you that that is not at all the case here. In fact, learning Japanese or Chinese, would probably be more sensible.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 5:11 pm GMT
We Americans only know bomb language so it should be our official language. No big to Spanish and English!
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
* big NO to Spanish and English!
Dude Who Knows   Sat May 05, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
<<We Americans only know bomb language so it should be our official language. No big to Spanish and English!>>

WE Americans?
furrykef   Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
I don't think the "we" is necessarily meant to represent other forum users.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
>> WE Americans? <<

Obviously the kind that cannot write proper English.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 7:08 pm GMT
I am an American. I was speaking on behalf of my countrymen. furrykef has got it right. To Guest, you need to have grammar lessons as well.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
>> I am an American. I was speaking on behalf of my countrymen. furrykef has got it right. To Guest, you need to have grammar lessons as well. <<

Obviously not. No American would say, "furrykef has got..."
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Sat May 05, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
I hope this thread doesn't decay into nonesense, like some of the others do. This is about the "future of English", and is a very interesting topic. Can't you guys save your rubbish for other threads?
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 7:43 pm GMT
<Obviously not. No American would say, "furrykef has got..." >

Sad but true. That's how we speak our language. Not all Americans are Bill Gates. Take an example of our president who cant speak for his life. So there you go.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 7:49 pm GMT
>> Sad but true. That's how we speak our language. Not all Americans are Bill Gates. Take an example of our president who cant speak for his life. So there you go. <<

No, I meant that no American English speaker would say that, not that it is wrong. It simply means that Guest (not me, the other one, lol) obviously learned British English, rather than American English.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 7:58 pm GMT
So more power to me as I learned correct form of the language. ;)
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
upa ega puto