Differences between American English and british English

Rene   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:49 pm GMT
You're right Damian, you wouldn't hear most of those words in America. I actually had to searcht the internet once to figure out what gobsmacked meant. Apparently, its something along the line of "really surprised". However, I do have one objection. If you stayed long enough you would definatley hear dickhead. Probably more times than you would want to. Oh, and I think you should try "gas" for petrol. There are so many lame puns to use off of that one.
Pub Lunch   Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:48 am GMT
Now this is weird because I saw an interview yesterday with Quentin Tarantino. He was being interviewed by Jonathan Ross and he actually used the term "gobsmacked" - so maybe Americans do use it??

He also used "shagged" to mean 'to have sex with', this definitely made my ears prick because I thought it meant "dance" in the US.
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:16 am GMT
"shagged"
I believe that is an Austin Powers influence.
Skippy   Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
Americans definitely know what "shag" means.

Although yes, it probably is only because of Austin Powers.
statian   Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm GMT
<<Now this is weird because I saw an interview yesterday with Quentin Tarantino. He was being interviewed by Jonathan Ross and he actually used the term "gobsmacked" - so maybe Americans do use it?? >>

Maybe a few use it, but I don't recall ever hearing it in conversations around here.
Uriel   Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
I think the shag was *A* dance back in the 60's, like the Watusi or the mashed potato. It's not used anymore in that context, and doesn't mean dancing in general. You will still find shag rugs, shag carpets, shaggy dogs, and shag haircuts, but shag in the sense of "screw" is a pretty new introduction to the popular vernacular courtesy of Austin Powers, and its only cachet is that, being British, it has no shock value like screw or fuck, so you can say it with impunity. But it still has that air of a borrowed term, and isn't what you'd hear in normal conversation.

Muppet -- only if you're referring to Kermit or Miss Piggy. Or Animal!

Gobsmacked -- not used here. Quentin Tarantino is a weird guy, and hardly indicative of normal American speech.

Dickhead -- very common; you'll hear it all the time.

Sound (meaning genuine - as in "sound as a pound") -- no, you'll hear it more used to mean "sturdy" or "not falling apart".

Let's see: terms I can think of that you never hear in the US -- git (except as a dialectical variant of get), mug (unless you mean the coffee cup), knackered, and knickers (unless you mean silly little below-the-knee pants).

I also read "It had already gone half-past ten" in an Australian novel -- do Brits use that construction for telling time as well?
Pub Lunch   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 am GMT
Yeah you’re right - that Quentin bloke is strange, but when he said gobsmacked it seemed normal. What I mean is that most exclusively British terms seem quite easy to pick out if an American was to use them, but I'd never have thought gobsmaked may be a Briticisms until I saw Rene's post.

Do Americans use the word “gob” to mean mouth?? I’d love to hear an American say “oi - shut your gob” – that would sound well funny.

Oh yes Uriel definitely. If, say my sister asked me the time and it had just gone half past ten then literally I would say "its just gone half past" or "its just gone half past ten".

Sound as a pound, I think this is more of a Northern thing although I do hear it used here in the South a bit ("sound" is much more common though). We also have "sweet" as in "sweet as a nut" but quite why anything is as sweet as a nut is beyond me because nuts aren't sweet - are they???

You lot don't call knickers - Knickers???? What are they in American English then?? (this should be funny).

Yep we have "dickhead" as well, but I prefer "knob-head"!!!!
Jasper   Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm GMT
One Britishism that confuses Americans: "He isn't half-handsome." Or, "that isn't half- (insert adjective)". It really means that he's handsome as all Hell. The only part of this that ever reached America is that, sometimes, you hear Southerners say,"That's not half bad."

One Americanism that makes Brits chuckle: "I'm stuffed" (this is said after eating a much too large meal). This one means in Britspeak,"I'm pregnant."

I've read about these in books, by the way.
Rene   Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 am GMT
Well lets see here Pub Lunch, we call knickers: underwear, panties, briefs, whitey-tighties, boxers, thongs, and grannie panties (prounounced with a gluttal stop on the last t so that it sort of rhymes). Of course the last three refer to a specific kind. There, not too funny was it?

Hey, here's a question for you to answer if you aren't too shy. Where do most English men stand on the boxers or briefs issue. In America, you're a nerd/mamma's boy if you wear briefs. But, the fact that Englishmen seem to prefer speedos to swimtrunks sent me wondering, especially since the only men you'll see in America wearing speedos are over 60 years old.
Uriel   Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:10 am GMT
We use gob. Or at least, we know the term. Shut your gob would be perfectly understood here, and there is a type of candy called a "Gobstopper". (It's pretty big.)

<<Oh yes Uriel definitely. If, say my sister asked me the time and it had just gone half past ten then literally I would say "its just gone half past" or "its just gone half past ten". >>

Weird. i would never say that. It "turns" ten-thirty for me, not "goes".

<<One Britishism that confuses Americans: "He isn't half-handsome." Or, "that isn't half- (insert adjective)". It really means that he's handsome as all Hell. The only part of this that ever reached America is that, sometimes, you hear Southerners say,"That's not half bad.">>

Ain't just southerners who say that, Jasper. I think everybody does. ;)
We tend to go the other direction in our compliments -- I heard my old helath teacher say admiringly, "He had a body and a half!" (Which is an interesting visual, but just means "Damn!")
Guest   Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:19 am GMT
To me "He isn't half-handsome!" sounds like "He isn't handsome at all!"
Pub Lunch   Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am GMT
<<One Americanism that makes Brits chuckle: "I'm stuffed" (this is said after eating a much too large meal). This one means in Britspeak,"I'm pregnant>>

Jasper - I hate to disappoint you mate but we say "I'm stuffed" when full up also. It may be a generation thing but I can't remember ever hearing "I'm stuffed" being used to refer to someone that was "up the duff" or "pregnant".

"Half-handsome" or "he aint half good" all serve to mean "he is very handsome" or "he is very good". We will also use handsome when something is nice, for example the curry my Nan made last night was "handsome". You'd normally say it when you are actually eating though, as a sort of compliment. Saying that, my 11 year old sister would never say it and probably never will, I think it is starting to become antiquated (I think).

<<Well lets see here Pub Lunch, we call knickers: underwear, panties, briefs, whitey-tighties, boxers, thongs, and grannie panties (prounounced with a gluttal stop on the last t so that it sort of rhymes). Of course the last three refer to a specific kind. There, not too funny was it? >>

Rene - Panties???? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! Actually should that be more like OH NO!!!! Come on - as if “panties” does not sound creepy!!!! Oh no!!! Just saying the word makes me feel like a dirty old perv!!! P-A-N-T-I-E-S - URGH!!!!(that’s the British equivalent of the American eeww). Nope, it's not happening, I could never say that word to, say, my Mum or my sisters or my Nan – No bloody way!! That is awful!!!

Arrggghhhhh!!! Grannie panties - now I feel sick!!! Ok the rest sound ‘normal’, I don’t think I can take the pee out of them.

Hold on a sec, lets not be so hasty–WHITEY TIGHTIES????? What on Earth??? HA HA HA HA!!! Please tell me that you’re joking??? You would actually go to a shop and ask for “whitey tighties”??? I am supposing that these are simply a pair of white pants???

I think the opinions regarding the swim wear debate is the same here in Britain, if a child is caught wearing pants (briefs) then they will never hear the end of it and unlike when I was a kid, mothers seem much less cruel nowadays. It is definitely boxers all the way.

When I was a kid (80’s – early 90’s) swimming trunks meant the Speedo things that you refer and I think this is still true but I believe Speedos is also used now as well. I think it is a generational thing because my dad wears swimming trunks/Speedos whereas people my age tend to wear Bermuda shorts or just shorts in general because, well, wearing anything else just isn’t cricket. Oh, actually children of maybe 10 and under will wear swimtrunks/Speedos probably as much if not more than they would shorts here.

<<Weird. i would never say that. It "turns" ten-thirty for me, not "goes". >>

Uriel - See, that sounds strange to me, here in England we'd never say it has turned half past (at least I don't think we do) but of course I see what you saying. Both are correct, I mean the big hand has 'gone past' the half hour mark or indeed it has 'turned past' it.

Australian English really is (or should I say was) very close to British English as spoken here in the South. I noticed silly things such as asking someone 'how they are' would be said the same way that us South Easterners would say it, i.e. "how's it going" as opposed to "how are you doing".

Oh, one word (among many) that I am a bit sketchy on is how Americans use the word "mad". Over here mad would normally mean crazy but I am told that in America it only means "angry" - is this correct???? I ask because it seems, judging by films etc, that in the US it has both meanings (a bit like here actually).

And while I'm at it, the same goes for the word mean as in "a mean person". Here it tends to mean a person who is 'stingy' or a 'tight arse' or a 'scrooge', basically someone that does not like to share the wealth. In America mean erm..means 'nasty' - is this correct?? I think mean to mean nasty is becoming more common here however.
Guest   Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:05 pm GMT
''Over here mad would normally mean crazy but I am told that in America it only means "angry" - is this correct???? I ask because it seems, judging by films etc, that in the US it has both meanings (a bit like here actually).''

Mad meaning angry is an older meaning, obsolete in UK, but strong in the US...Both are used ''mad about'' and ''mad with''
Travis   Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
>>We use gob. Or at least, we know the term. Shut your gob would be perfectly understood here, and there is a type of candy called a "Gobstopper". (It's pretty big.)<<

It wouldn't be understood here in Wisconsin, though. I myself for one really am not familiar with the word "gob" (and I have probably heard it more than most here), and I doubt that many here are really aware of the etymology of the word "Gobstopper".

>><<Oh yes Uriel definitely. If, say my sister asked me the time and it had just gone half past ten then literally I would say "its just gone half past" or "its just gone half past ten". >>

Weird. i would never say that. It "turns" ten-thirty for me, not "goes".<<

Here it neither "turns" nor "goes" ten-thirty. It just "is now" ten-thirty.
Rene   Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:12 pm GMT
What do you mean Pub Lunch? You couldn't say panties to your mum? That is the NICE word for knickers. I could give you some of the gross ones and then your mum would really have a heart attack. But I'll spare you and her. Whitey- tighties is informal. I probably wouldn't ask someone in a shop where they were, but if I met some guy with a really girly voice I probably say that his whitey-tighties were on too tight. (This is a double dis because it means that he wears briefs and that they are too tight). Oh, and as for grannie panties they are simply full coverage underwear for women as apposed to thongs.

Mad means both and mean is nasty, unpleasant, bad-hearted.