Differences between American English and british English

Victoria Andersson   Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:11 pm GMT
Well now, let me tell you about the delicious cheeses of Norway. For Norwegian breakfasts we are often eating the thin slices of Gjetost on crackerbread. Gjetost comes in little red parcels (to protect it from the trolls, my mother tells me). It is a rather unusual colour can you guess how the colour looks?. Let me tell you, it is BROWN. Yes light brown all the way through. Gjetost looks like the fudge in England (maybe fudge is the different product in the US). MMM Gjetost - maybe you try it, yes?.

Have you ever tasted reindeer meat flavoured cheese?. We have a cheese spread with the tastes of reindeer. Reindeer are very important to my people. We have a reindeer school in my home town.

I come from a peninsula of Norway where we don't speak the English language. Actually our tribe does not speak typical Norwegian either. So, I hope very much you are understanding me.

Today I am living in London and studying the language.
Bye
Vicky
x
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 pm GMT
Vicky:

You come across very clearly indeed. How about giving English lessons to all those Londoners down there? A lot of them need it! :-)

May I ask what you meant by "tribe"? Norway isn't tribal is it? Och....go on......you're having us on aren't you? Norway...the highest standard of living in the entire world.......we're led to believe that you can count the number of Norwegians unable to speak English on two hands? Or is it just one? Which is it?
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:18 pm GMT
Oh! Vicky:

I forgot....the Lapps also live in Norway....in the south according to this site...I thought it was in the north of the country beyond Hammerfest....that surprises me. Sorry.

I got cheesed off talking about cheese...let's talk Norwegian......is it true that Norwegians and Swedes can follow conversations in each other's languages?

http://library.thinkquest.org/6252/page2.html
Josh Lalonde   Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
I know what you mean Damian. When the Swedish Prime Minister or President (I can't remember which) visited here, I was jealous that he spoke perfect English. By which I mean that if I came in the room and heard him on the radio without hearing that he was from Sweden I would never have guessed that he wasn't a native. Then he switched into French, which he also spoke perfectly, and that made me want to give up. I live twenty minutes' walk from Quebec and my French isn't as good! And it's his third language (at least). He probably speaks German or Dutch too. They're so frustrating...in a good way, of course.
Uriel   Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:45 am GMT
If reindeer is like venison or elk than I'm all for it, Victoria!

I had some sort of Norwegian butter cheese a couple weeks ago -- very tasty.

Should we assume that you are our first Sami?

Damian, my old (and long since departed) Joy of Cooking mentioned a recipe or two for Welsh rarebit, and also went through the trouble of explaining that it was not really "rabbit" (the rabbit recipes were in a different chapter).

And if I remember Fredrik and Walker discussing the subject of whether or not Swedes and Norwegians can understand each other, I think they can, but not without snickering....
Guest   Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:26 am GMT
Damian, the site is wrong and you were right; the Saami (Lapps) live in Northern Norway, Northern Sweden, Northern Finland, and the Kola Peninsula. There were some that once lived further south, but the other tribes pushed them into the far north many years ago.
Daniel   Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 am GMT
I hate to watch Polish polishing their pairs of shoes. At my point of view I wouldn't those dirty Russian or German shoes. Guest says he cleans his or her dirty English shoes because he loves to be on fashion and snobbery. Also these guys like guys, love to enjoy a terrible English grammar when they go shop with gay friends. I hate them all.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:58 am GMT
Daniel: I once read that feelings of hatred really are bad for our systems. If we feel hatred for anyone or anything it can actually reduce our lifespan over time. I hope you live to be over 160.

Uriel: I've no idea how Welsh rarebit came to be called Welsh rabbit by a lot of people. Rarebit is definitely the proper word for it. Just a variation of pronunciation I reckon. I made myself one last night - you can rustle one up in about 3 minutes flat. JUstbe careful none of the toast gets charred - it's dreich when that happens.

I've never seen any Poles cleaning their shoes......most, like the rest of us, wear trainers anyway and most of those look brand new, not that I notice their footwear to any great degree.

I thought that Norway article was off beam somehow......no way could the Lapps live in southern Norway! I reckon Victoria lives north of the Arctic Circle on her little promontory. I'm sworn to vegetarianism now (I think) so no way could I eat one of Santa's little helpers. Yuk!

Now must get to work.....I've finished my mug of Tse now. oops...sorry Kev! :-)
Rene   Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
mmm... welsh rabbit, yummy. Only I like my toast so dark its on the verge of burnt. I like almost burnt popcorn. Burnt cheese is the best. Don't worry though, when I cook a meal I don't burn things on purpose like I would for myself because other people seem to have a problem with it (strange, strange people). I'm a vegitarian Damian, have been for years. I also don't eat refined sugar, and I'm hooked on sprouted, flourless bread. I can my own jams and jellies, pickles, applesauce, and salsa. However, I AM MOST DEFINATELY NOT A HIPPIE! nor do I consider myself a healthfood nut. I just think that refined sugar is a poison, and I don't eat meat because of a childhood experience that I don't like to talk about. The canning comes from having a huge concord grape vine, a property completely surrounded by blackberry bushes that are impossible to kill (I think if you droped an a-bomb on them they would only keep growing), having about twenty apple trees, and my mom's obsession with vegetable growing.
Uriel   Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:25 am GMT
Your canning obsession sounds like my mom's, Rene -- and your back yard sounds like mine when I was a little girl in NY!

It was all good until the homemade ketchup. Some things need to be left up to Heinz.

I poison myself with refined sugar every day and twices on Sundays -- I may go to an early grave, but I'll be smiling when they toss me in!

Sprouted, flourless bread ... not sure what that is. (Or what on earth it would be made of, if not flour. If there's no flour, can we really call it "bread"? I once had to go grocery shopping for a pair of gluten-intolerant patients ... all I can say is I was not inspired by the products made for that problem! Saints preserve me from a similar fate!)
Uriel   Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:26 am GMT
Ay, jodido -- that's "twice", not "twices". But you knew that!
Info   Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:38 am GMT
Why are you guys making nonsense conversations? I can't read to learn English about what this is really. All the forum titles are ridiculous to pay attention. In fact, I have not learnt anything important from this website, because all things I have seen in English I accept them such ones how they are. If I don't like something and criticise them, how important is my opinion if I may not change it for the English speakers?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
Info:

You're quite right - we talk a lot of nonsense in here - we've all been reading too much Edward Lear.

I can't bear the thought of your frustrations....tell us what you'd like us to be talking about on a very serious level on the issue of learning English as a foreign language. We could, of course, correct your written English but that is one almighty risk for us to take, is it not? Or is it? The last thing we want to do is offend you - or anyone in this Forum, really. Would you be offended if we pointed out basic errors in your postings?

Anyway - a diversion. Here is some British English for you to listen to, if you'd care to, of course:

http://irintech.com/x1/blogarchive.php?id=1193
Basset Hound   Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:21 pm GMT
I have British bridegroom to converse and a horny American lady to love.

So I like both English styles with my two women.
Uriel   Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:22 am GMT
Um, a bridegroom is a MAN ....!