Using "vos" instead of "tú" in Spanish

furrykef   Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:36 am GMT
<< Yo te recomiendo que hablás de vos solamente si querés parecer SALADO. >>

Shouldn't that be "hablés"?
Franco   Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:32 am GMT
It should be "hables" with no accent, I believe. There is no subjunctive conjugation for vos.
Franco   Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:33 am GMT
Puede ser que me equivoco.
Franco   Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:40 am GMT
By the way, how is it said with voseo in such cases as this:

úsalo! Cómpramelo.

is it,

usálo, comprámelo?
furrykef   Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 am GMT
<< It should be "hables" with no accent, I believe. There is no subjunctive conjugation for vos. >>

I've never heard that.

<< is it, usálo, comprámelo? >>

I would guess so (except the accent mark isn't needed on "usalo", since the stress falls there naturally), considering that the normal vos imperative for -ar verbs is to drop the 'r' and stress the 'a'. I don't see why it should change when pronouns are attached to it.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:04 am GMT
Wikipedia says that both are possible, but that unchanged subjunctive conjugations are widely considered to be what's correct.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:46 pm GMT
who cares about how argentines talk? I certainly don't.
Adolf   Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:51 pm GMT
Perhaps I isn't that important, but I find it more important than the hole French language
furrykef   Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 pm GMT
<< who cares about how argentines talk? I certainly don't. >>

Then this thread is not for you. You don't have to read it.

<< Wikipedia says that both are possible, but that unchanged subjunctive conjugations are widely considered to be what's correct. >>

Hmm. I stand corrected, though it should be noted that this isn't true of all forms of voseo.

- Kef
Gabriel   Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
Yo soy uno de los que (sin ser argentino) usa el voseo y ambas formas "hables" y "hablés" me resultan normales. En general tiendo a usar la primera. La segunda es probablemente más común en situaciones más informales. Por alguna razón, la asocio con un lenguaje más agresivo:

"Me parece importante que hables de lo que pasó."
"¡Te pido que no me hablés más!"

A propósito de los subjuntivos, una diferencia que he notado entre el habla de los uruguayos y los argentinos es la siguiente:

"Te pido que no hables." (Uru, Arg)
"Te pedí que no hablaras." (Uru)
"Te pedí que no hables." (Arg)

Cuando el verbo principal está en pasado, los argentinos usan igual construcciones del subjuntivo en presente.
chicoq   Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 am GMT
why is it that people like me are why the world hates my country? i don't know what i said unless you are just an american hater.

anyway, i love the voseo but i will repeat what i said earlier with a little more clarity. it is better to just use usted until you see that people expect you to use the other forms. then, depending on the situation and the country, you can use either tu or vos.
Ian   Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:47 pm GMT
Actually Chilean vos-conjugation is pretty easy. It has only two endings:
-ái and -ís, with the S being aspirated.

Vos is used in almost all Latin American countries. Although some use the conjugation with tú. Like in Chile it's more common to say "tú hablái" instead of "vos hablái"
Guest   Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:37 am GMT
VOS is not used in mainstream Chilean Spanish (unlike in Argentina) so
VOS never appears in sitcoms and soap operas made in Chile (again, unlike Argentina).
Rodrigo   Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:37 am GMT
I live in Bogotá and I hear vos only between my mom and my grandma, nonetheless you should probably learn them or at least be familiar. Voseo is only used in the present, in the imperative and sometimes in the subjunctive (see discussion above).

In the imperative it used to be contáme, decíme along with estáte but now it's not necessary to use the accent.

Note that when using vos you still use te. Y a vos no te dijeron, vos te creés muchos cuentos.

A brief summary of voseo in Colombia. It's mainly used in Valle del Cauca, Cali and to some extent in Medellín. In Cali it's used in more contexts while in Medellín it's more informal. We mainly use the Argentinian conjugations which are the ones that appear in RAE conjugation tables as standard. Unlike Argentina it's rarely written on TV except to advertise events like the Feria de Cali, though these impressions are from national TV. In most cable channels it's common to hear and see voseo in Argentinian ads but now there is more international presence so not all ads are Argentinian like 5-10 years ago.

Te felicito por tus ganas de aprender español y mirá ve, que visités Colombia y usés el voseo.
Ian   Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:05 am GMT
VOS never appears in sitcoms and soap operas made in Chile, but the vos conjugation used with tú is pretty common. Some examples:

"?Tú me querís?"

"!No te preocupís!"

In Chile, the vos conjugation is used in all moods and tenses, except imperative where it is rarely used.